Start by marking “Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide, #5)” as Want to Read:
Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide, #5)

Mostly Harmless

(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy #5)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  95,651 ratings  ·  2,188 reviews
Arthur Dent hadn't had a day as bad as this since the Earth had been blown up.

Depressed and alone, Arthur finally settles on the small planet Lamuella and becomes a sandwich maker. Looking forward to a quiet life, his plans are thrown awry by the unexpected arrival of his daughter.

There’s nothing worse than a frustrated teenager with a copy of the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the
Published 1992 by William Heinemann Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Mostly Harmless, please sign up.
Caleb Peiffer For normal people. But this is Douglas Adams, my friend. The laws of mathematics are no more relevant to him than the laws of any other science.

·  95,651 ratings  ·  2,188 reviews

Henry Avila
The Milky Way Galaxy is in a state of confusion the dozen Universes, ( you didn't know there are more than one?) have collided into each other. Nothing is as it was, no wonder historians quit, what's the point, everything keeps on changing since history is so fluid. Tricia McMillan (Trillian , in another existence) is not happy, the British television anchor is back in England after an unsuccessful job interview, in New York City at ten times more money ! Dead tired from the overnight flight, sh ...more
Chrissy
(mild spoilers ahead)

It's terribly amusing that the majority of reviewers have tossed this fifth part to the trilogy aside, banished it from their mental schemata of the series so as to acknowledge only that which ends well. I think it says a lot about the readership that they took in the entirety of the first four books without picking up on the melancholy and nihilistic subtext to Adams' writing. I mean, the first book ends with the discovery that the meaning of life is 42.... how much clearer
Jon
Jun 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Douglas Adams fans
Mostly Harmless was, for many people, a disappointing end to a fantastic series. Adams admitted that he was having a "bad year" when he wrote this book, and it shows: the usual humor and manic pacing are largely gone, replaced by long tracts about actual theoretical science (as opposed to the lunatic-inspired science that created, say, the starship Bistromath), and the tone overall is far darker and more depressive. There are still glimpses of Adams' comedic genius, but the book as a whole is a ...more
Alex

Mostly Harmless is the closing chapter of Douglas Adams' series, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Unless, you want to count And Another Thing by Eoin Coffer as the last installment of the series, but by all extensive purposes I leave it at Mostly Harmless. I am unsure if I will follow the guide any further, since my American Express card was rejected through my elaborate travels.

Mostly Harmless follows one Homo Sapien, Arthur Dent, on an exuberant, random, and slightly sad adventure through spa
Evan Leach
The fifth and final installment in the Hitchhiker “trilogy” is generally regarded as the weakest in the series (it’s the lowest rated on this site, for example). The story is focused on Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect. Poor Arthur, who finally found happiness at the end of book four, has the love of his life whisked away from him senselessly and is back to wandering the galaxy alone. He finally settles down to a life that many would find mind-numbingly dull but that suits Arthur just fine. Just as ...more
Joe
Aug 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Encyclopedia Galactica, that venerable compendium, has a lot to say about the works of Douglas Adams. In particular, the first four books of his 'Hitchhiker's' series have over 7 million words dedicated to them. This includes synopses, critical analyses, research projects, philosophical treatises and Babel-fish fan-fiction.

But the fifth book in the series has not enjoyed this level of attention. Until recently, the Galactica article regarding this novel comprised a single word; 'pointless.'
Cecily
Hitchhiker's, volume 5.

There are some good lines in this, but I can't help feeling it would have been better if Adams had left it unwritten, or at least unpublished. It is very disjointed, with Ford, Arthur and Trillian mostly in separate stories.

It starts in what would be a parallel universe - if such things existed, which they don't, because "it makes as much sense as the sea being parallel".

"If there was one thing life had taught her it was that there are times when you do not go back for y
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: diehard Hitchhikers
Sadly, the five-part Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy “trilogy” ends not with a bang, but a whimper. With four storylines — displaced earthman Arthur Dent, reckless Hitchhiker’s Guide correspondent Ford Prefect; Trillian, the earth woman once named Tricia McMillan who dumped Arthur at a party to go into space with Zaphod Beeblebrox, and Tricia McMillan in a parallel universe where she stayed on earth — Mostly Harmless reads like a frenzied ride on the bumper cars, with storylines beginning and st ...more
Nathan Mathews
Feb 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Blechh! Worst. Ending. Ever! I've heard that Douglas Adams wrote this book during a bad time in his life (hey, we all have 'em), but this book more or less stinks. I have chosen to forget that this book was ever written, and that the series ended on a definite high note with "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish". Those of you who have not had your minds poisoned with this bit of tripe would do well to skip it altogether.
sj
Randal: Which did you like better? Jedi or The Empire Strikes Back?

Dante: Empire.

Randal: Blasphemy!

Dante: Empire had the better ending. I mean, Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets.
J.G. Keely
The universe is a joke.

Even before I was shown the meaning of life in a dream at 17 (then promptly forgot it because I thought I smelled pancakes), I knew this to be true--and yet, I have always felt a need to search for the truth, that nebulous, ill-treated creature. Adams has always been, to me, to be a welcome companion in that journey.

Between the search for meaning and the recognition that it's all a joke in poor taste lies Douglas Adams, and, luckily for us, he doesn't seem to mind if you
Steven
Dec 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one.
Shelves: avoid
Carefully read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, then imagine that the most horrible, depressing conclusion possible to the whole affair could happen. That is what happens in Mostly Harmless. It wraps every loose end up most completely, but it wraps things up the way a car compactor packages your favorite vehicle.

The atrocities the author commits towards his characters in this book significantly impact my enjoyment of the rest of the series. The first few pages start out depressing and it j
Lucy Banks
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Adams has always had such a massive influence on my writing. I don’t think there’s any other author out there who does madcap, irreverent and downright silly as well as he does.

This book, the fifth in the series, continues the craziness of Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and Trillion, but with the usual unexpected twists and turns, ranging from random daughters (literally called Random) to multi-universes and holy sandwich makers. Blissfully bonkers stuff.
David Sarkies
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Is That It?
25 February 2017

I’m not really sure about this book. At first I was going to suggest that it didn’t have any point but then again this is a part of the Hitchhiker’s Guide series, which basically means that the books aren’t going to have a plot, or a point. Well, I guess the lack of a plot, and a point, is a point in and of itself because it simply goes to demonstrate the absurdity of existance, and that is that there really seems to be no point to this whole thing we call reality and
Petra Eggs
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
Its years since I read the first four volumes of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and really enjoyed it. Perhaps my taste has changed or I can't get into the 'mood' but I really didn't enjoy this book. It just seemed to be a 'clever' messa round with words and the sort of adolescent fantasies of the universe that kids who were stoned and listening to Pink Floyd tended to come up with. Like a lot of things, it was more fun to have lived it than to read about it.

There were a couple of good sen
Matt
Nov 08, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I'm a huge fan of Douglas Adams, and loved the first four books in the "trilogy". I was sorely disappointed by the fifth and final book in the series though. To me, it seemed like he was thinking "I'm sick of people whining for more Hitchhiker's books. I'll show them." The way the book ends is so...final. I understand Adams was going through a bad period when he wrote this book, and it shows. Don't bother with this one.
Samet
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ne yazık ki her güzel şey gibi bu da bitti, NEDEN BİTTİ!?
Jefi Sevilay
Otostopçu'nun Galaksi Rehberi serisini hiçbir otostopçunun bulamayacağı galaksinin en gizli saklı köşelerine gömüyorum. Üzerini toprakla örtüyorum ve görmemek için hiçbir iz bırakmıyorum. Bir daha absürt (komedi) hiçbirşey okumamaya dair yemin ediyorum.

Çok fazla 250-300 sayfalık kitaplarla oyalandım. Artık ciddi birşeyler okuma zamanı geldi de geçiyor bile.

Herkese keyifli okumalar!
Cyril Anderson
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me just say that 'Mostly Harmless' totally shocked me out of my chair.
I read the first four books and pretty much loved the humor, storytelling and not to mention the characters.
Some new characters are made in 'Mostly Harmless', and if I had to choose a favorite new character, it would be Random. Random as in her name IS LITERALLY RANDOM.
The irony of the whole story made me really, really excited. The whole tale goes in a roundabout of time and space and ends up where we started.
The ending w
Saliha
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now there's a neat ending, if I ever read one.

It was brilliant, however bleak. I could not find in here (in the fifth and last book of the "trilogy") quite so much of the beloved cuckoo sense of humor that made his books always so irresistible to me. However, I did appreciate the proper science fiction-y feeling to it, which was of course well done, having been produced by the magnificent imagination of Douglas Adams.

I miss you and I regret never having met you, Mr. Adams. I hope they have goo
Chris Greensmith
""Tricia! Where the haemorrhaging fuck are you?" I found this books slowly went downhill, dont get me wrong I liked them and loved the series as a whole but felt Douglas Adams never really meant to right more than one, maybe two of these books and just lost his was. It was wrapped up very neatly, well in my opinion, and I enjoyed it more than some entries but it just never had that effortless charm of the first...3🌟
Marta
I found this a bit lacking in enthusiasm. A bit too much hopelesness, being stuck, anger, confusion. I felt that Adams has run out of ideas and was repeating himself, with less humor. I was quite bored for parts of it. Overall it is worth finishing and still has some amusing moments.
Sarah-Grace
I can't highlight all the passages that I like in this book because I would end up highlighting the entire book. I enjoy slipping things in that are quotes from any of the Hitchhikker's guide books into conversations with people just because it makes me smile.
There is just so much wit to choose from.

A couple good ones from Mostly Harmless:

“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

“Nothing travels
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the bad guy after a break-up. It's not that this book was terrible, but I gave up after reading 2/3 of it. I started my relationship with the book without a lot of trust - the reviews I've read and heard have been overwhelmingly negative, and I really disliked the previous book in the series. But I figured that maybe my friends were all wrong, and no one could appreciate the book but me, and I just needed to give it some time. And then it let me down. It's not that it did anything al ...more
Nat Price
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Douglas Adams finishes off the series with a flourish.
Ferdy
Jun 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, classic, liked-it, fun

Much better than the last book, there was a lot more action, space adventure and silly humour.
I loved Arthur and the whole sandwich making thing he had going on, it was hilarious, his interactions with Random were quite funny too.
I didn't like Ford all that much though, his parts dragged and he just wasn't very entertaining.
The ending was a tad depressing with what happened to all the Earths. I guess it was better to end in that way because then the gang would forever travel in space/
Kelsey Marie
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I combined my review for all of the Hitchhiker books in to one post. It just felt easier that way.

You can read the review here:

*****Darling & Co.*****
Yani
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this series was quite a tumultous read. I really enjoyes myself reading this and, as the humour is very witty and clever. However, sometimes the setting is so random it took me some time to understand what was actually going on. Having read the last book of the series, book 4 feels a bit pointless. Nevertheless, I recommend anybody interested in the series to read it completely!
Burak Kuscu
Bir hikayenin daha sonuna geldik.

Serinin önceki kitaplarını göme göme finale kadar geldim. Buruk ama fena olmayan bir sonla iyi kötü bağlamış Douglas Adams.

Bu serinin her yeri açıklarla dolu. Biraz olayların akışına ve anlatıma kendinizi kaptırıp ne neydi diye fazla düşünmemeniz gerekiyor. Maalesef bu konuda ilk kitaptan sonra sürekli eksikti serimiz. Yani olaylar ilk kitapta çok iyi yerlere gidebilirdi. Merak uyandırdı ama beklenen olmadı. Tadı damağımızda kaldı. Sonraki kitaplar hikaye düştü
Dan
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
For some reason this fifth volume is not included in most collection of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and I've only realised this recently.

As with most of Adams' book, I finished the book with the feeling that I only sort of know what was going on and wasn't really sure what the point of it was but I had so much fun along the way that I didn't really care. This edition sees a new guide being created which works across all the dimensions. Queue chaos. Arthur Dent spends a great deal of time b
Did you read #5? 14 227 Oct 25, 2016 05:41PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Cover 2 59 Mar 12, 2015 09:17PM
Λέσχη Ανάγνωσης Κ...: 14.07.14 Μάλλον ακίνδυνος 1 5 Jun 27, 2014 09:20AM
Catching up on Cl...: Hitchhikers...Galaxy #5 Mostly Harmless: Spoilers 1 35 Jan 13, 2014 04:33PM
2019 Reading Chal...: Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams 1 24 Jul 01, 2013 11:55AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • And Another Thing... (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #6)
  • Starship Titanic
  • Last Human (Red Dwarf, #3)
  • Better than Life (Red Dwarf #2)
  • The Complete Robot (Robot #0.3)
  • Hogfather (Discworld, #20; Death, #4)
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • They Came and Ate Us: Armageddon II: The B-Movie
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • No Phule Like an Old Phule (Phule's Company, #5)
  • The Road to Mars: A Post-Modem Novel
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Backwards (Red Dwarf #4)
  • Lord of the Flies
Douglas Noël Adams was an English author, comic radio dramatist, and musician. He is best known as the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Hitchhiker's began on radio, and developed into a "trilogy" of five books (which sold more than fifteen million copies during his lifetime) as well as a television series, a comic book series, a computer game, and a feature film that was co ...more

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (5 books)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
  • The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #2)
  • Life, the Universe and Everything (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #3)
  • So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #4)
“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.” 3425 likes
“Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws.” 2452 likes