Start by marking “Hitting the Sweet Spot: How Consumer Insights Can Inspire Better Marketing and Advertising” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Consumer Insight Classic. Clear and engaging - written by one of the top professionals in consumer insight. The book takes you through the process step by step - from Data to Information to Insight to Inspiration. This book is used worldwide by both students and professionals.
Published June 6th 2001 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Hitting the Sweet Spot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hitting the Sweet Spot

Melissa
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biz-money-econ
There are some very solid concepts presented here, but the book itself is such an eyesore (huge, dopey-looking type in cheesy, conflicting fonts) that I was having a hard time taking it seriously. Also, so many of the examples are ridiculously out-of-date (videodiscs?!) that I found myself detaching. I'd recommend Luke Sullivan's Squeeze This, Whipple for a much more contemporary and fun-to-read book that hits many of the same topics presented here, and more.
Outsource Marketing /
This is a very simple book describing a fairly complex idea, and it was one of the texts I used when I instructed the Integrated Marketing Communications course at the University of Washington.

I'd score it higher if the text and illustrations weren't so large. I wonder if this would be an e-book if published today.

But still, durn good thinking here!
Graham Lipsman
May 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The first half of the book presents some helpful mental models for approaching brand and consumer insights in tandem. After that there's a digression into some concepts revolving around the ad industry itself and the specific jobs therein. That part was less relevant to me, and therefore far less interesting. Check out the first part and leave the rest unless you're in the industry.
Tim Calkins
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Understanding customer insights is incredibly important. This is the best book I've read on the topic. Lisa does a terrific job of highlighting the role of insight, how to identify one and how to use one.
Rodrigo
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
A classic! A little bit out-of-date, but easy-to-read, inspiring, insightful, full of knowledge and expertise, and really enlighting for anyone who may want to work in the advertising business.
Spencer Colvin
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The concepts in this book are on a have-to-know basis for those in the advertising profession, however the book is not a must-read and is considerably dated.
Kim
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: industry
This book came recommended as part of a marketing insights seminar. There was a bunch of good advice, which mostly states the obvious, but would be a good read if one is not familiar with insights.
Chip Miller
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is an Account Planning handbook/workbook. The author provides a clear method for identifying the 'sweet spot' of the market.

Deanna Schetselaar
Refreshing in simplicity of a complex matter. Finding the consumer insight never seemed so reachable.
Trangneu
Apr 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
excellent book about customer insight
Kate Zirkle
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-related
Great book with great insight. This is probably the core of my knowledge on marketing and advertising.
Alyse
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Really simple and clear book---easy and fun read... if you are into advertising and learning to do it better. I read it for my account planning class.
Tanya Flores
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: advertising majors looking for fluff.
Very clear and appallingly easy to read for a supposed text book. The typeface is gigantic, and a huge turn off. The organization is a bit unclear.
Joseph Moniz