Start by marking “New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 1

New X-Men: Childhood's End, Volume 1

(New X-Men (2004) (Collected Editions) #5)

Red-hot X-23 writers Craig Kyle and Chris Yost, and rising star Mark Brooks (Amazing Fantasy), take New X-Men in a bold new direction.

Spinning directly out of House of M, the New X-Men deal with the changed world. Will X-23 join the team? Will friendships persevere? Will the kids survive? No one is safe, and not everyone will live through this incredible change in status quo. The rules have ch(Amazing
Paperback, Trade, 104 pages
Published May 10th 2006 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about New X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New X-Men

James DeSantis
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Man this brought me back. When i was starting High School I tried getting heavy into X-Men comics. I read New X-Men with a passion. However, I never got to Childhood's end. I got to volume 3 of the original but I didn't bother going back. However, when I opened this book I saw characters I right away remembered. Electric robotic arm girl, guy who can turn into steel, Angel light, and many more.

In this volume we're introduced to a darker world than I remember. After House of M many mutants are d
trufflebooks
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Super interesting! Despite the fact that I was super confused about 30% of the time. Still, I love X-Men and Marvel, and this was a great quick read 😊
Anna
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-comics
Now we're talking!

This is what I want to see! Fights! Bitterness! Death!

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy these volumes.
C
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Continuing the (sometimes) great x-read of 2017...

Since I am at the very tail end of 2017 and I haven't updated my reading in quite a while so I am "cheating" and just kind of writing one review for all of the volumes that I have read so that I can get them up by the end of the year.

The aftermath of M day has been mixed to say the least. There were a few high points (Cable and Deadpool, the 198, the beginning of the new X-factor series... and more than a fair share of low
Arturo
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Decimation, X-23 joins. The squads in danger room scenarios playing past xmen storylines. No more squads. Icarus returns to the mansion. And the kids get on the school bus.
To follow the kids from the 12 issue New Mutants and Academy X. Things just get better and things get serious.
Anna Banana
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels

You know what you did, Marvel. That's all I have to say on the matter.
Dominick
Sep 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
In an era where Marvel tries to oversaturate the comics market with event after event, and renumbering, along with the line between heroes and villains blurred so much it is draining (and not just my account!).

..which brings my attention backwards, to 2006's NEW X-MEN: CHILDHOOD'S END.

I skipped out when the series first launched as NEW X-MEN: ACADEMY X. It seemed generic and the stories I flipped through did nothing to grab my attention. It wasn't until the rebranding of
TK
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall I enjoyed this story, the beginning and ending of these issues were particularly interesting. The initial panic of mutants students waking up without their powers is an awesome concept, and I liked seeing the varied reactions and subtle complexity of those scenes. The end fulfills on the title promise of "Childhood's End" and sets up the gravity of the situation for our heroes. Unfortunately, it's quite a rocky road from the start to the end. I found the constant back and forth in timeli ...more
Christopher Mclean
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is more like it.

After never really taking off, New X-men gets a new creative team and they quickly start hitting their stride. This volume is very much setting up the new status quo, post House Of M, which in itself makes for a very interesting time at the Xavier institute. But it's also clear Kyle & co are playing a longer game here, introducing the most interesting version of William Stryker I've seen.

A very marked improvement in both writing and art this volum
ellis
Apr 27, 2019 rated it liked it
- introduction of laura to other students
- introduction of the purifiers

i liked seeing all the students - don't recognize half of them from future comics sooo that bodes poorly.
i don't understand how scott and emma's opinions on the students handling are so different from in schism. scotts all about keeping their childhoods intact; emma is demanding they learn to fight. they each do a 180 by the time schism rolls around. bad writing or does something happen? guess i'll fi
Tundextra
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: x-men-books
Yost and Kyle turn up with one of the better post House of M series, and the first volume sets an early tone of desperation for the X-Men and the mutant kids, post House of M, the world has really turned against them, this is the story of the Academy and what happens next... plus new student... X23!
A very firm 8 out of 12 from me
Mitchell
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not a huge fan of the art, but it's not horrible. But the use of characters was pretty good. A direct followup to House of M, this is dealing with the aftermath of most mutants losing their powers all at once. And then figuring out what to do next. A pretty good read.
Roman Colombo
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel
This was the best series to come out of House of M. Kyle and Yost told some of the strongest X-Men stories, and the roots of there direction in the X-Men universe can be seen here. The religious paranoia, the death, the anguish. While the art wasn't great, it was nice reading the start of their work.
M
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Craig Kyle and Chris Yost team up to explore the latest generation of mutants - and how their lives changed on a single day. With the words "no more mutants," the Scarlet Witch depowered nearly all of the world's X-gene-carrying population. At the Xavier institute, this event has destabilized the entire school community and sent the kids into a panic. Emma Frost decides to meet with the human students and pack them off to their families once more, fearing they will now be seen as easy targets. S ...more
Andrew
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: yes-i-m-a-geek
The reviews I read of this series while it was coming out were positive but had the major drawback as the reader wasn't able to pick a favorite character because they kept killing people off. This always intrigued me. And having previously liked the New Mutants and Generation X, I was thinking this could be a series for me. Well I had to wade through Nunzio Defilippis' uninspired and boring New Mutants and New X-Men to get to Kyle and Yost's run. But now I am on to one of the runs I was most eag ...more
Shannon Appelcline
The first 19 issues of New X-Men were shockingly mediocre. Looking back, they appear muted, like a children's book or a 4-color comic from the '50s.

In contrast, Childhood's End offers a dramatic change of pace. It does away with the Potterian ideas of squads of mutants competing and instead constructs a single team that the authors can focus on. It also does away with the teen plotlines of the previous books and instead offers up a new dark and grittier direction.

The use of Stryk
Beaugan Gama
Childhoods End is the struggle that defell the students of the Xavier School for Gifted children

it's starts off here post House of M/M-day and in the remainder of the series, sees the remaining mutant children go through the trials and tribulations of a world that hates and fears them

they are put through a gauntlet of villians and emotional strain, its tough and crazy and they overcome most of the obstacles but they are still children and they are hunted down by zealots.
Rob McMonigal
Mar 21, 2008 rated it did not like it
This is the Academy X kids post House of M with X-23 shoe-horned in because the writers also write her book and felt the need to place her in everything, like the person she's cloned after, Wolverine. There's a lot of "Oh God, I lost my powers" angst (Which makes no sense--mutants are hated in the Marvel U, and all of a sudden, 90 of you people got to go rejoin the human race. I can't see this many mutants being unhappy with the change.) and slightly better handling of some of the other characte ...more
J.
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
On second reading (and in context), this is a good volume in a fairly average series. The trimming of the cast is certainly a good sign, and there's definitely strong, un-ignorable finale (although not an ending in any sense.)

But some of the X-Men (Emma Frost in particular) seem to be particularly out-of-character. And, while the idea of Decimation is great, from a possible-plot standpoint, the numbers don't make sense: 90% of mutants lost their power? But there are only 198 left, ev
Labyrinth Rossiter
After trudging through the opening teenage soap opera melodramatic sequences of X-Men Academy, this was a HUGE step up. I admit I just skipped the House of M issues to get to Craig Kyle's run, and I feel duly rewarded. Instead the fallout from M-Day is prominently featured here and done pretty well, I think. From this, we get the title and theme, "Childhood's End." In a newer, more dangerous world, class time is over, and it's time for on-the job training as a new New Mutants team is officially ...more
Filip Różanek
It was okay. It has great moments, but I'm not very found of the cliffhanger at the end, I think it would work better together with next trade in he series, as one 8-issues compilation. New writers stayed true to the characters' personalities estabilished by previous team and take into new, darker direction. And I udnerstand why people might find it controversial, but I enjoyed it, Kyle and Yost have very good sense of setting character drama and when they kick your favorites in the nut, you rea ...more
Fizzgig76
Aug 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Reprints New X-Men #20-23. The New X-Men are depowered from M-Day, and the teams are divided when Emma Frost decides that non-mutants shouldn't be at the school. Plus an old X-Men villain returns and the carnage begins. The first volume of Childhood's End is enjoyable in the aspect that it reminds me of the orginal New Mutants series. The New Mutants were always the victims of horrible consequences of the X-Men and the New X-Men seem to be falling under that catagory. Later volumes however overd ...more
Strawberry
Oct 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This comic tells the story of what happened to the students at the Xavier institute after m-day.
I was never really into the New-X-Men-kids-stuff, but this was actually good. In fact it was much better than any other post m-day comics that I've read so far.
What I really didn't like was Emma's cold-hearted decision that all non-mutants have to leave the school for "security reasons". Actually her entire actions here are very questionable. But I'm really curious what that will lead to.
saskia
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-2016
The mutant genocide is coming and it's so disturbing how this has happened in real life before, many times. The decimation of species, of a race, a culture etc- it is horrifying and is inhumane.

Jay and his wings, Brian, Sofia and so many mutants who lost their powers- were shunned from families and friends now have to return and many will be greeted warmly but with differing morals, but greeted warmly in that they are now "normal".
Krystl Louwagie
Nov 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I probably started reading this with a disadvantage,not knowing much of the young mutants, but dang, there's way too many characters in this comic! We don't get to spend quality time with hardly any of them. The beginning of this collection starts of alright, and the ending was very interesting as well, but there was a large chunk in the middle that was very muddled and pointless. Also, wow, I was certainly reminded why I hate Emma Frost.
Daniel
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Essentially just a "cleaning house" storyline, but a good one. Short of the House of M tie-in, I had no connection to these characters, but their relationships to each other are extremely clear and written with a nice balance of weight and brevity. Don't love the art style and Emma Frost seems needlessly cruel in this plotline, but what's here is good enough to make me interested in following these characters.
S.E. Doster
Probably one of my least favorite X-men stories i've ever read. Read House of M storyline a long time ago and really enjoyed it, but this New X-men follow up with the kids is really bland. Most of the kids are pointless and annoying. Also, the religious crusaders are UGH. Honestly? New X-men feels really bland overall. Not sure if i'll continue with this series...
Mela
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very much a high school drama with super powers. The series works though, and I enjoy it. The characters are realistic, their voices are very much like teenagers tend to be (inflated egos, making big drama out of wild miscommunication, etc). I love that there are a lot of homages made to the classic New Mutants.
Solitairerose
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Horrible. The new creative team takes a solid teen super-hero book and tries to make it interesting by upping the body count. Character die and die and die and all for big shocks that didn't bring in a new audience. Just a waste of some characters with promise.
Felipe
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Crag Kyle and Chris Yost are cruel human beings.

• New X-Men: Academy X, Volume 3: X-Posed
  • Decimation: Generation M
  • Decimation: Son of M
  • The Pulse, Vol. 3: Fear
  • Mystique, Vol. 2: Tinker, Tailor, Mutant, Spy
  • Uncanny X-Men: Divided We Stand
  • X-Factor, Vol. 2: Life and Death Matters
  • Astonishing X-Men: Kitty Pryde - Shadow & Flame
  • Ultimate X-Men, Vol. 14: Phoenix?
  • Curse of the Mutants
  • X-Men: Fairy Tales
  • Nightcrawler, Volume 1: The Devil Inside
  • Daken/X-23: Collision
  • Spider-Man/Human Torch: I'm with Stupid
  • Cable & Deadpool, Volume 5: Living Legends

New X-Men (2004) (Collected Editions) (10 books)
  • New X-Men: Academy X, Vol. 1: Choosing Sides