Start by marking “Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)

Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery

(American Girl Mysteries)

Felicity is spending the summer of 1776 at her family's Virginia plantation, King's Creek, where she rides her beloved horse Penny every day. But soon Felicity hears news that British soldiers are burning Patriot farms and raiding their animals. Could the British threaten King's Creek . . . and Penny?
Published February 1st 2006 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Peril at King's Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peril at King's Creek

Start your review of Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
Maria
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I wrote a review for this but I accidentally deleted it! I loved this book just as I love all of Felicity's stories, but I was disappointed by the ending. Throughout this whole book the suspense was rising, and I was so excited to figure out the mystery, but then at the end I was let down. It doesn't tell you enough. It was still worth the read and I still recommend it. All of the other Felicity mysteries I gave 5 stars. My favorite one is probably Lady Margarets Ghost.
Rebecca
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy read but intriguing story nonetheless.
Sarah B
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this children's book this morning and enjoyed it. I admit I knew who the horse thief was from the very beginning as I thought it was very obvious..but then I'm an adult and the book is aimed at kids. The details of the story were really great and brought the historical society to life: how Felicity is wearing stays, the buckles on Mr Haskall's shoes, the foolscap paper, the Banbury cakes...there's also mention of the famous Boston Tea Party. And of course the Loyalists and the Patriots. I ...more
Ashley
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An American Girl Felicity Mystery

Felicity is spending the summer of 1776 at her family's plantation, King's Creek, where she rides her beloved horse, Penny, everyday. But soon Felicity hears news that British soldiers are burning Patriot farms and stealing their animals. Could the British threaten King's Creek... and Penny?

I love reading the American Girl mysteries. They're fun, quick and easy to read. Each chapter gets deeper in to the mystery and it's not solved until almost the end of the boo
Katie
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the American Revolution gets closer to home for the charactors in the Felicity series, many questions and suspicions are bound to come up. These mysteries keep you in suspence and teach a lot about the time frame.
Megan
Aug 08, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for the podcast I’m currently listening to called “American Girls” by Allison Horrocks and Mary Mahoney.

Overall, I was pretty damn disappointed in this book. I currently have it listed as one star, maybe it will move to two after a night’s sleep (doubtful), but we will see. This book, compared to other books I’ve read in the An American Girl: Felicity series, was pretty terrible. It was boring, first and foremost. The entire 150 pages of this book was Felicity riding around wit
Danae
This one's more easy to predict, but I enjoyed it anyway.

It did annoy me a couple of times. Jones apparently doesn't realize that horses sleep standing up. If a horse is lying down for an extended period of time, it is not well.

Also, I found it odd that no one had a problem with Felicity being alone with an adult man. It just seems like that would have been considered inappropriate at that time.
Beth (FebruaryFilly)
Grace Lynch
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great mystery!
Wintermote
A solid American girl mystery. Less mystery than some, but dealt well with the complexity of the revolution and loyalties.
Ciara
i found this mystery pretty disappointing. i was reminded of the rebecca mystery about summer camp in which the big reveal is that one of rebecca's bunkmates is a polio survivor. it was just so obvious. i guess maybe a child would have been surprised...but even then, the foreshadowing was heavy-handed enough that i think a golden retriever could have figured it out.

with this book, i read it to a newborn baby & when i got to the part one page two where mr. haskall was introduced, the baby said, "
Kristen
Heroic girls saving America. If you like that kind of thing.
Hannah
Jan 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutly LOVED this book and it is a must read!

It is about Felicity Merrimen who is having a vacation with her family at there vacation house when they hear that people are attacking patriot farms. Her Father and his apprentis are away on buisness so she is home with her mother and two siblings when a mysteriouse man comes to ask if he can look at there land as he is a person who study's plants. They give him their permission so he started lokking around. Felicity noticed that he was only rec
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eleven-year-old Felicity Merriman, her mother, and her younger siblings are spending the summer of 1776 at King's Creek, the plantation the family inherited from Felicity's grandfather. Felicity enjoys riding her beloved horse, Penny, exploring the woods with her siblings, and remembering the happy days spent there before Grandfather's death. She is also enjoying learning about the plants of the area from Mr. Haskall, a visitor at a neighboring plantation who is studying the plants of Virginia. ...more
Elizabeth N. | ThePennilessBooknerd
This isn't really as good as the rest of the Felicity books. It's not very much of a mystery to me either & was somewhat boring until the last 3 or 4 chapters.

Felicity is visiting her grandfather's plantation for the summer (which they now own) and hears that British soldiers are burning down Patriot farms.

From chapter 3 it is kind of obvious who it is, Especially because they only have one suspect through the entire book.

I feel like this books is missing a lot of friends and family. It is ni
Yellowoasis
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
After reading Gary Soto's essay about the awful experience he had after publishing an American Girls novel, I thought I should read a couple, one historical, one contemporary.
This is a light, quick read with a bit of historical subject matter thrown in. Felicity makes an engaging heroine. Knowing the provenance of the book, I did keep an eye out for possible American Girl ‘merch’ (stays? unlikely). The story is a bit too pc for my liking – the narrator is at pains to ensure that both patriot and
1 Elizabeth
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. It is historical fiction. This book is about a girl named Felicity, who goes to her grandfathers plantation for the summer. There is a visitor, who is staying at the neighboring plantation. Felicity finds out something that could possibly hurt her family, and her horse named Penny. This book is slightly suspenseful, but good. I would recommend this book to kids about 9 and older, and kids who enjoy history.
Miss Clark
Kristine Hansen
I'd honestly call this a 3.5 as this story was a bit difficult to get into. The author though, really captures the flavor of living in this time, and the complexities of knowing who to trust. On the other hand, to me the ending seemed a little too obvious. I was hoping for something a bit more complex like in several of the other American Girl mysteries.
Halle Stout
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book and kind of summarizes the felicity book set. It's also different to see one of my favorite American girls in this setting. It's set in the late 1700s where the revolutionary war is still waging on and is nearing VA where Felicity and her family live, the book deals with her struggles and family while living in this troubling time.
Elijah S
Dec 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great! Even though it's a girl book, well...I read everything! I can't help it. Especially mysteries. This is a great book for anyone to read, especially people who like learning about the early colonies of America.
Amanda Kay
Another okay addition to Felicity's novels. Her mystery novels are not as strong as her central series in their overall appeal, but I did appreciate that Felicity worked to solve true mysteries, rather than things magically being fixed for her.
Lisa
My first American Girl pick. Nice work. Learned some history and also that loyalty can be complex.
Sydnee
I thought it took a little too long to get into the mystery. Not as enjoyable as good old Nancy Drew.
Leo
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good, a little slow action, so kinda boring
Katie
Feb 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
This book is good. I liked how the end was so suspensful!
Abigail
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mysterious and sometimes spooky story about a girl during the Revolutionary War.
Rylie Thousand
i liked this book 2!!!!!
Anna
Nov 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-by-myself
Felicity meets a new person. His name is Mr. Haskal and he's been so nice to her but then she figures out that Mr. Haskal was a British spy. How does Felicity stop him?

• Felicity: An American Girl (The American Girls Collection)
  • Samantha's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Very Funny, Elizabeth (American Girls: Felicity)
  • Felicity's Surprise (American Girls: Felicity, #3)
  • Changes for Felicity: A Winter Story (American Girls: Felicity, #6)
  • Felicity Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Felicity, #5)
  • Meet Felicity: An American Girl (American Girls: Felicity, #1)
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Happy Birthday, Felicity! A Springtime Story (American Girls: Felicity, #4)
  • Felicity Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Felicity, #2)
  • Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly, #7)
  • Happy Birthday, Kirsten: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #4)
  • Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)
  • Changes for Kirsten: A Winter Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #6)
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • Meet Josefina: An American Girl (American Girls: Josefina, #1)
  • Kirsten Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #2)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
Elizabeth McDavid Jones was born in 1958 in South Carolina. When she was a child, she moved in Raleigh, North Carolina. She graduated from East Carolina University and started a career in social work. When Jones earned a master's degree in literature in 1996, she changed her career to a university literature. During this period, she began writing children's books. She is a mother of four children. ...more

American Girl Mysteries (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • The Silent Stranger: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Ghost Wind Stallion: A Kaya Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Traitor in Williamsburg: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Lady Margaret's Ghost: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries (Quality))
  • Traitor in the Shipyard: A Caroline Mystery
  • The Traveler's Tricks: A Caroline Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Smuggler's Secrets: A Caroline Mystery
  • Secrets in the Hills: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Glowing Heart: A Josefina Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Hidden Gold: A Marie-Grace Mystery