Start by marking “Nocturne” as Want to Read:
Nocturne

Nocturne

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  148 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
She closed her eyes and listened to the forbidden Chopin nocturne ... its magic hung in the air.

It is Warsaw, 1939, and Elzunia is an indulged teenager who longs for a heroic life filled with romance. But the outbreak of war shatters all her dreams. As bombs fall, she meets Adam, a taciturn airman whose fate becomes entwined with hers. In despair over the occupation, Adam
Audio CD, 14 pages
Published February 1st 2009 by Bolinda Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nocturne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nocturne

Patricia Joynton
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because of the history of Poland during the invasion of Germany/Hitler. It made me understand how so many Polish people ended up in Canada and the US (and Alpena!). Although fiction, the book maintained historical accuracy regards events and political figures, etc. It was a good story. Rarely do I rate a book a 5, especially when I see that its average is less than 4.
Sherry Chiger
Sep 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Author Diane Armstrong is an acclaimed journalist, and it shows: This is an impeccably researched book, so much so that after reading it I almost felt I could have made my way around the Warsaw ghetto myself (did the ghetto still exist, of course). It captured the details of life in Poland during the Nazi occupation, as well as the pride, resilience, and anti-Semitism of many of the people. But the journalistic training is also apparent in the writing, which does a lot more telling than showing. ...more
Nikki
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow that was one long book. I enjoyed learning so much about what happened in Poland during the war. My grandfather was born in Poland and immigrated after WW1 but I never researched it beyond knowing where they were from was not always Poland.

I found the main female character very appealing. She had spunk and they story flowed because of her. As the story turned to the main male character, I found myself waiting to get back to her.

All in all - a well written and well researched book.
shelby a snider
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating and heartbreaking...

I have a love of historical fiction with its storehouse of facts intertwined with a human story. It’s captures my attention to all things historical in a humanist mode. I would recommend this book to everyone.
Karin Christo
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
So many books and information about WWII but hardly ever heard about the troubles in Poland.
Excellent historical fiction.
Sandy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was fully engrossed by this story. Elzunia changes from a typical spoiled teenager to a soldier and nurse. Forced into the Ghetto during WW II, Elzunia learns that she has to create her own rules in order to survive, and to help others survive as well.
Mercedes-fleur
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing.

This book gave me a brand new perspective into the happenings and everyday life of WW2. I found myself quite shocked at the delicate situation with Poland. It was something I had never heard about before. The sacrifice Poland had made was never mentioned in any of my history classes at school.I just assumed that the Allies triumphed in the end, and it was such an amazing feat. We'd beaten Germany, at a high price that no one seemed to stop and consider.
Poland had to pay. With their cou
Kathleen Hagen
Nocturne, by Diane Armstrong, narrated by Deidre Rubenstein, produced by Bolinda Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is another of Armstrong’s novels about WW II and the Jews of Poland. Ezunia is a middle-class spoiled teenager who lives a sheltered life until the war breaks out and the Germans invade Poland. She then becomes part of the underground and the eventual resistance that held the Nazis at bay for over six weeks. Also we’re introduced to Adam, trained to the Polish air force who jo
Diane
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read quite a few books about the holocaust but most of them took place in Germany. This book was about Poland during the war years. It was fiction based on fact. Some of the characters were based on real people. This was not an easy book to read as it was a horrible time period but I found it interesting and very sad. I learned a lot about the country of Poland and what happened to those people during and after the war. This book is not for the faint of heart however.
S. J.
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Compelling characters and a gripping storyline, "Nocturne" kept me hooked from start to finish. The details were well-researched and vivid and the settings wonderfully realised. Armstrong managed to convey a great deal of information without ever seeming pedantic or losing the flow of the story. I did feel that she told more than showed a little too much, and found it difficult to credit the degree of coincidence that kept the plot together, but overall a great read, thoroughly enjoyable.
Mary Frances Nelson
Thought provoking

There are many stories on this subject. This one portrayed the events with dignity. The writer captured the immeasurable horror committed during and after this war. You can't help but admire the courage and bravery and I must say heroism of all the people that lived this nightmare. It was a wonderful book.
Debbie Peut
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing and chilling insight
Kim
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book in about two days. Gruesome, gripping but with hope and just a tinge of the good among all the awfulness.
Angela
  • Restitution
  • Musungu Jim and the Great Chief Tuluko
  • The People's Train
  • Love And The Platypus
  • Keep Smiling Through (Beach View Boarding House/Cliffehaven #3)
  • Bad Faith: A Forgotten History of Family, Fatherland and Vichy France
  • Two Time
  • Landscape of Farewell
  • Secret Son: A Novel
Diane was born in Poland and arrived in Australia in 1948.

At the age of seven she decided to become a writer. Her first article, about teaching at a Blackboard Jungle school in London, was published in The Australian Women's Weekly in 1965. Diane subsequently became a freelance journalist, and over three thousand of her investigative articles, personal experience stories, profiles and travel stori