Start by marking “Salad Bar Beef” as Want to Read:
Salad Bar Beef

Salad Bar Beef

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  220 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In a day when beef is assailed by many environmental organizations and lauded by fast-food chains, a new paradigm to bring reason to this confusion is in order. With farmers leaving the land in droves and plows poised to "reclaim" set-aside acres, it is time to offer an alternative that is both land and farmer friendly.

Beyond that, the salad bar beef production model offer
Published July 1st 1996 by Polyface

To ask other readers questions about Salad Bar Beef, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salad Bar Beef

Fermented Vegetables by Kirsten ShockeyReal Food by Nina PlanckPrimal Body, Primal Mind by Nora T. GedgaudasNourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon MorellSimple Kombucha Sourdough by Stacey  Wilson
Traditional Food
104 books — 7 voters
The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla EmeryThe Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John SeymourSeed to Seed by Suzanne AshworthThe Backyard Homestead by Carleen MadiganPut 'em Up! by Sherri Brooks Vinton
Homesteading
218 books — 98 voters

More lists with this book...

Wayne
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have mixed feelings as I sit down to write this. See, Joel Salatin is something of a hero of mine. A little over two years ago, I found myself trying to get by on odd jobs and feeling like the only path to a life of farming was to land a salaried position somewhere that would pay enough for me to get a mortgage to pay the $100K-$500K necessary to get a farm. As there seemed little hope of that happening, I was feeling pretty defeated.

Then I read Joel's book, "You Can Farm," which told me I wa
Jeremy
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes agriculture or an alternative outlook
Another book about farming that focuses on the cleanest and most humane way to raise cattle. This guy tends to rant a bit about how our system is so messed up and unsustainable. His book reads like a how-to guide for someone looking to raise cattle however he is really choppy in getting his points across due to his random tangents. His methods are fascinating and extremely efficient with regards to cost and labor. I really like the concepts presented in the book but his utopian value system seem ...more
Amy
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, especially the sarcastic comments throughout, humour is a winner. Makes sense, implementing his ideas into our farm currently.
John
Mar 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is now the third book by Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm in Virginia that I have read, and it has very much shaped my ideas about what is possible for agriculture going forward into the future. From his other books (particularly You Can Farm), I already had the basic idea of his model for raising grass-fed beef, but this book fleshed out the concepts and practices that he uses to raise what he hopes is the best beef inthe world.

From the title, you may have noticed that Salatin doesn't call it
Amber
May 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I added this to my to-read list while I was still reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. The book is really not intended for a non-farmer audience, I think- you're supposed to read the book and then starting working on your own notebook of ideas to apply to your own farm. Author Salatin is lovably whacked, oscillating between cool-headed farmer/business owner and irascible, Christian-informed, activist, all the while staying on-topic and organized. (And you know I wouldn't describe someone as lovably w ...more
Nathan Titus
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-world, frontier
Highly motivating, full of step by step how to details with just the right amount of enthusiasm thrown in so you want to do it. I plan on following these techniques to the best of my ability. Books like The Omnivore's Delema only describe a problem; Salad Bar Beef offers a solution, and more than that, it tells you how to be a part of that solution! I will keep my eyes open for more books like this one!!
Kevin
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another hit from Mr Salatin. I am gonna go buy some land and some cows and feed them grass!!! So far my favorite book from Joel Salatin. Not too much detail but simple clear instructions on how to do it yourself with plenty of reference for further reading with more detail. I'm actually on my way tomorrow to go to the farm for the annual field day!
Brad Belschner
Sep 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: agriculture
Decent book, full of practical tips for a small beef operation. Probably worth reading for anyone wanting to do that. Most important random fact I learned: making hay in circular bales is stupid, because the hay molds!
Jen
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
I've been wanting to read this book for awhile. Who would have thought that it would actually be enjoyable. Some of the info/lingo is over my head, but most is easy to understand. Makes me excited to raise my own cows!
Amanda
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
More people need to read this book. It explains where your food comes from and how it's produced. It explains how farmers can have a better product and gain a better profit from it while helping the environment.
Audrey
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous true story of a farmer who uses very innovative farming techniques to make sure his animals are healthy (and better for us to eat). His land is a functioning, replenishing organic ecosystem.
Susan Smith
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting to see how small farm beef is raised and slaughtered compared to the way big business does it.
Michelle
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farming
I love, Love, LOVE Joel Salatin's approach to good stewardship over the land. He lays out the ways to implement management intesive grazing in such an easy-to-read format!
Danna
Oct 13, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • All Flesh Is Grass: The Pleasures and Promises of Pasture Farming
  • Chicken Tractor: The Permaculture Guide to Happy Hens and Healthy Soil
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • The Raw Milk Revolution: Behind America's Emerging Battle Over Food Rights
  • Forest Gardening: Cultivating an Edible Landscape
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits  Vegetables
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • Holistic Management: A New Framework for Decision Making
  • Gardening When It Counts: Growing Food in Hard Times
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
  • Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows
  • The Essential Urban Farmer
  • Five Acres and Independence: A Practical Guide to the Selection and Management of the Small Farm
  • Farms with a Future: Creating and Growing a Sustainable Farm Business
Joel is a nationally renowned speaker on organic farming and "relationship marketing." He is on a mission to develop emotionally, economically and environmentally enhanced agricultural enterprises, and facilitate their duplication around the world. Part of that goal is to produce the best food in the world.

Joel espouses an agricultural paradigm shift that sees plants and animals as partners rather
More about Joel Salatin...