Start by marking “The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear” as Want to Read:
The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear

The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear

The Little Mouse and the Big Hungry Bear are known and loved by millions of children around the world. Little Mouse loves strawberries, but so does the bear... How will Little Mouse stop the bear from eating his freshly picked, red, ripe strawberry.
Board Book, 32 pages
Published May 1st 1998 by Child's Play International (first published June 1st 1984)

Amelia Weltch The narrator is whomever is reading the story. I am the narrator, you are the narrator, and every little kid who has read this book is the narrator.…moreThe narrator is whomever is reading the story. I am the narrator, you are the narrator, and every little kid who has read this book is the narrator. That is what makes this book so unique. It allows the reader to be apart of the story. (less)
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
4,370 books — 5,775 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
2,442 books — 1,662 voters

More lists with this book...

Whitney Atkinson
This was my favorite picture book as a kid that my grandma used to read to me every time I went to visit her in California, and after years of asking for it, my grandma let me keep the book. I reread it and basked in its glory, reliving how much I loved hearing my grandma read it to me. It's cute and sweet and iuhsfjlkrjfhudijiosd childhood, dudes. i miss it.
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
5 Superbly Cute ★'s

I loved this book so much, it was definitely one of my most favorites as a child :) I wanted it read to me over and over again. Being an adult now, I love that I can read all my favorites to my little niece and still appreciate them just as much as I did back then. I just loved the little Mouse so much! There is something so undeniably charming about it. It's a great read-aloud book, the narrator is always talking directly to the little mouse and the humor is just perfect! The
Miriam
Dec 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
An unseen narrator terrifies a not-so-bright mouse with warnings of a huge, strawberry-craving bear until the mouse is tricked into sharing the fruit with the narrator.

I thought this was a little too mean -- the mouse is really terrified! He is running around in a panic with fear-sweat pouring off him. I guess we are supposed to laugh at what a sucker the little rodent is? I didn't have this one as a kid so I can't say if I would have thought it was funny then. Or maybe it is supposed to open a
Jamie
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a very cute little book. Vivid illustrations, simple but fun storyline. It is the only book that my nine-month-old and two-year-old both really love right now. My older child can recite the whole thing and my younger child finds the "BOOM BOOM BOOM" part to be hilarious. I think that they would both give it five stars!

Although I have enjoyed reading it, I would have to give it a lesser rating, and here's why. At an age when she is learning the nuances of seemingly everything and is absor
Kathryn
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay. WHY is this book so gosh-darn-cute!? It is SO simple. But there is something undeniably charming about Wood & Wood--the story just zips along, goes SO perfectly with the illustrations--it is a great read-aloud as the narrator is always talking directly to the little mouse.
Ronyell
Mouse

Now, I have been reading Audrey and Don Wood’s works for many years, especially many of their earlier works including “The Napping House,” “Heckedy Peg” and “King Bidgood’s in the Bathtub.” So, imagine my delight when I finally got around to one of their most highly praised books that I never had the chance to read when I was little called “The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear” and I was pleasantly surprised by the results!

The story starts off with a litt
Luisa Knight
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh. So. Incredibly. Cute!

Love!

Ages: 3 - 7

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
J. Boo
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A welcome exception from the sheer awfulness of the books DS#1 (age 7) is given as first grade take-home reading.

A little mouse finds a red ripe strawberry, and is warned by the narrator that "The big, hungry bear can smell a red, ripe strawberry a mile away..." What can be done?

The illustrations are excellent -- really a joy -- and their humor is much appreciated by kids. The mouse trying to disguise the strawberry (with Groucho glasses) is a hoot.

I suspect, along with most adult readers, tha
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a fun, reader interaction sort of story. It's one that can be read with a lot of dramatic voice exaggeration. Trust me, this picture book will only get better the more you read it!
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, picture, children-s
Despite the fact that I KNOW I had a copy for my second graders, I've never read this book. And it is cute, cute, cute! A mouse finds a delicious red strawberry. The narrator warns the mouse that bears loooove strawberries and are sure to find it, no matter what you do. Finally, the mouse and the narrator share the strawberry and all's well that ends well.

A beautifully illustrated picture book. A wonderful bedtime book and a great choice for preschool students.
midnightfaerie
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A solid level 1 reading book for children that all ages can enjoy. A cute story that had all three of my children engaged and wondering how it would end. The illustrations are beautiful, big, and colorful, which made it a particular enjoyment for me too. A good family read that I can see us reading again in the future.
Ethan
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think the narrator is taking advantage of the mouse's generosity with scare tactics.

My favorite page is the one with the disguises.
Marlena
Jun 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I ever really loved and read it (or well, had my mom read it to me) over 100 times. I still know the words to this book by heart ("hello little mouse what are you doing?").
Kristine
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-zman
Omgosh! Love this book so much. Was my son's absolute favorite when he was 1-3 years old.
Eileen
May 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
I personally really enjoyed reading this book because of the fun mysterious storyline. The narrator’s voice makes this book quite interesting and engaging. I really liked the illustrations in the book. I think that they would be really good to use with children in year one or reception where they would have to order the pictures. The pictures are really vivid and colourful. The only negative that I have about this book is the fact that there really isn’t a big hungry bear and I feel that childre ...more
Sarah Sammis
Nov 26, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pc, read-in-2002
Sean has taken a new liking to a book he's had for a while, The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear. We had to read it quite a few times last night. Fortunately it's rather short. I think he likes the threat of the bear and the deep booming voice Ian uses when the narrator is describing the bear.
Philip
Apr 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I checked this out of the library right after reading Heather's review about it.

She was right, it was great. And it's a children's book that doesn't get old even after N x 14 readings. (If N > 1)
Heather
Apr 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My daughter received this book for her birthday last week and absolutely loves it. The story is told as if the reader is talking directly to the mouse in the story. I also love that it's a book I don't mind reading over and over since that's often what my daughter wants.
Amaria Galom
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
it was a really good childrens book i read it when i was younger like so many time
Aisha
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of our all time favorite books for sure ! We love the simple cute story and the wonderful illustrations!

Truly a book to be read and admired over and over again - no matter how old you are!
Tatianna Rodriguez
OML THIS BOOK SCARED ME WHEN I WAS LITTLE BUT I STILL LOVED IT???????
Kathy
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another book I love to read to my kids. I need a new copy because the one I have is falling apart.
Nicole Bryan
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Summary: The story begins with a little mouse who wants to pick a strawberry but the narrator tells him bears love strawberries. The mouse goes through a panic to figure out how to hide it from the bear. In the end the mouse and narrator split the strawberry and eat it and the bear never shows up.
Reflection: LOVE IT!!! The suspense in the story is great. The pictures show a high level of emotion. I just love this story!
Use in Class: This story is just a good read. The emotions in the pictures ar
Janine
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun story and beautiful illustrations.
Meg
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One thing I love about exploring children's lit is when I come across a book I completely forgot existed but loved as a child. This is one of those. Clever plot and cute ending.
Heidi
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I thought the illustrations were great but the story without the illustrations was just OK and certainly not great.
Annie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
SO MUCH NOSTALGIA. This was one of my absolute favorites as a child and I had completely forgotten about it. I'm so pleased to have rediscovered it.
Karol
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The red ripe strawberry is the main reason I wanted to read this book! Oh my, a delicious story. Beautifully illustrated.
J
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read this book in storytimes several times now and it's always a hit. Once, after I'd read it at the beginning of a storytime, I had a little boy asking me to read it again throughout the rest of the storytime.
Sharon
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
Written and illustrated by Don and Audrey Wood this book is a preschool favorite. Little Mouse just wants to enjoy his strawberry, but what will he do when he finds out the big, hungry bear likes strawberries too? A fun read-aloud for the classroom, this book is easy for young children to memorize and retell.
3rd Grade - Making Predictions 1 5 Oct 25, 2016 11:47AM
  • Mouse Paint
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Duck On A Bike
  • It Looked Like Spilt Milk
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean!
  • Jamberry