Start by marking “Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life

Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life

When it comes to money, are you controlled by fear?
Do you underestimate your worth?
Are you ready to go to the next level, but can't seem to get there?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be an underearner. Underearners are self-saboteurs who don't live up to their earnings potential, says Barbara Stanny, a financial educator, motivational speaker, and
Published November 20th 2007 by Harper Business (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Underearning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Underearning

Start your review of Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
Nikki Jefford
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hello, my name is Nikki and I was an underearner my entire life until I read Overcoming Underearning.

This is the first self-improvement book Ive read thats making noticeable changes in my life. The reason its effective is because it forces the committed reader to examine her beliefs and attitudes about money with exercises throughout each chapter. (I wrote all over my book, I recommend purchasing it in paperback rather than an electronic copy.)

All of my adult life I have dreamed not so much of
Owen
Jun 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
The content's not really that bad: it combines the therapeutic past-excavation and "I am a money magnet!" affirmations of a book like Secrets of the Millionaire Mind, the cheerleading of Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, and the practical advice of inventorying, tracking spending, and investing wisely from Your Money or Your Life. It doesn't have much to say to those of us uncertain about what kind of work to do in the first place, but there's only so many problems someone else's book can solve ...more
Christine Locke
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another of those books I like to read every couple of years. It helps you define your thoughts about money and your goals in the career and financial aspects of your life. I especially appreciate the way Stanny has the reader examine his/her preconceived notions regarding success, both financial and professional. I was amazed to discover how much of what I currently do with my money is shaped by opinions I formed as a kid! As with everything else, once you recognize the source of a ...more
Alexis
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Make sure you do all of the exercises, because uncovering and examining all of your old beliefs about money is where the real value lies. Don't half-ass them, either. This book is especially helpful when done with a buddy or a group, so you can talk about what comes up. (A lot will come up, if you let it.)
Amy Yancy
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Life changing.

Very well-written. My advice: do the writing exercises to achieve maximum results. This book taught me to say "no". I also learned that my under-charging and giving my time away was the root of my financial troubles... I wasn't making enough to live my life. This book also helped me get to the root of why I've been under-charging. It took time to finish. I did every exercise. Brilliant.
Michelle
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm a financial planner and have to say, that this is one of the simplest, to the point financial books that will move you forward. Be ready to do many exercises and not just read, but you will definitely uncover beliefs you never knew you had.

I highly recommend.
Cara
Dec 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is powerful! The premise is that if you're living in deprivation (which people manage to do at a wide range of income levels), it's because you don't believe you're worthy of better. But if you can find where that comes from, dig it up, and replace it, your behavior will follow suit and you'll transform your life. The mindset of underearners is different from the mindset of people who earn a lot, and it mostly boils down to feeling like you have the ability to make a difference in your ...more
Alisa Moore
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Excellent book - lit a fire under me, shifted the way I think about money, my own worth, what I can create for myself, taking responsibility, great web-site and classes offered locally here in Seattle, too.
Kathy
Jun 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: financial-books
Actually, this is my second time through this book! I read it through once and definitely had some A-HA moments! Now I'm going back through it and actually doing the exercises with my friend Brenda!
Jola Van Dijk
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
A new mantra I'll try to remember: spend less, earn more, invest wisely, give generously, in that other. And changing your mindset is the most important. Knowing and respecting your own worth
Shaun
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I read by Stanny and basically piggy backs on the first book I read.

I really appreciate Stanny's ideas as I think there is a lot of insight to be garnered from her books.

Most of the book deals with identifying and re-evaluating our attitudes about money as they relate to our lives and our earnings.

This particular book had a lot of exercises for the reader, her effort to make it feel more like one of her workshops. I'm not usually that into such exercises, but felt she
Megan
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this with a group of folks you trust. Use it as a workbook. Make magic!
Marlena
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I haven't finished this book yet but it's bound to happen soon.
Anyway, this book can't be described in words. It is a gift for those who were raised by families that couldn't manage money, that were poor or into debt. It will change your life, and I'm not kiddin'. It is definitely changing mine at the moment. You will learn so much about yourself from 'Overcoming Underearning', because, as Barbara Stanny says, having money is not about finances or having a good career. It's about you, your mind
Lisa Woodruff
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: money-mindset
Just in time for tax day, I review books on money and money mindset. I share my own beliefs, ideas, and thoughts about money, and I share how I have been able to transform these over time.

Overcoming Underearning: Overcome Your Money Fears and Earn What You Deserve & Secrets of Six-Figure Women: Surprising Strategies to Up Your Earnings and Change Your Life by Barbara Stanny helped me to overcome many of my personal limiting beliefs about money. I started with these books in 2016 and used
Kim
Apr 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Is it fair to rate books like this? They seem all the same - affirmations, self-report inventories, and testimonials. This one is a little different because it is geared more for women than others I have read, but its fatal flaw is the bulk of the advice is aimed at the self-employed or people open to switching into careers that pay more (so, teaching is out!). Sure, there's a section on saving and spending money, but it really defers to other sources to learn more.

I walk away from this book
Talia
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. Stanny gave straight forward advice that addressed the root of the problems many people have with their earnings. This book was creative because instead of being like typical finance books and looking at where your money is going, Stanny makes the reader look at themselves and why they earn what they earn. This book really changed my life and I think I will read it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time.
Julie
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This really goes beyond budgeting, goes beyond the Law of Attraction, goes beyond how to earn more - this book really goes the extra mile to give the reader solid action items, along with great insight. I'd love to go to one of her workshops.
Clarice
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: at-home, 2012
This is not for everyone, but best perhaps for those who have a weak sense of their own finances/financial value and are trying to make positive changes for how they think about money, work, and their lives as a whole. It was really useful for me.
beth alyse
Apr 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
oh my God, this book is completely changing my life. a must-read for anyone who isn't both financially secure and creatively satisfied in their career. amazingly, both things are achievable and this book will show you how.
Brianna Elsass
Definitely an interesting approach to changing your earnings. Looking at your relationship with money holistically in order to change your earning potential. Some good learnings but I felt it was a little basic for what I was hoping to get.
Lisa Joiner
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The best book about money I've read.
Alejandro
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book has helped me get to know my relationship with money and come up with some easy but effective actions to take immediately to improve my finances. Highly recommended.
Lindsay
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very good book which teaches you more on self worth and money.
Losing points for the following things:
- Bad typography. Not easy for the eyes because of quotes dropped in the chapters, several fonts etc.
- All the self promotion. Every chapter you will be reminded of her workshops and previous book.
- Long intro's. You will read lots of testimonials and stories before getting to the nuggets. Combined with the promoting, I almost gave up on this book. But it gets better after the first chapters.
Meighan O'Toole
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
If youre a woman whos got issues around undervaluing your net worth, continually undervalues and/or overspends, and are interested in doing work (writing and digging deep around your notions and values) this book is for you. Its full of practical advice as well as anecdotal evidence. It offers strategies and steps to really get clear on your mindset around money as well as how youre spending, saving, and negotiating. If youre trying to get better with money I recommend it! I was amazed at the ...more
Debashri
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Genius. There's so much here that made me pause and think that Barbara Stanny is just a genius. She uses powerful arguments for being responsible for your own finances and getting over the mindset that someone will come and save you.

There's practical advice and there's also the inner mental work that people need to do to change their lives and their finances permanently.

It's a brilliant book for anyone who wants to get out of the mindset that their finances are doomed.
Derek Pochurko
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd give it a 3.5 to a 4. I like the practical examples and the book is staged like a workshop. The advice is also solid. What brings the book down however is how much of it seems like a sales pitch on one of those infomercials that come on TV. "Oh Joe says my advice helped him lose twenty pounds!", etc. If it took those pieces out, it would be great and get a 4.
Paola Quiros
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
WoW, this should be a textbook given at school! I am afraid i grew up as an underearner and its hard to get out, really hard. This book gives you a strategy, gives you a path, give you HOPE. I love the hands on chapters and more over the examples of humans overcoming this. Definitely its a book to read twice and even every time its required. Highly recommended ♥
Ana
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the best personal finance books I've read! This book is a true treasure. It touches on money itself, and personal/emotional relationships with money. I read this book cover to cover--haven't done so in a long time. I recommend this book to everyone who is stuck professionally and financially to read this book.
Babe of Darkness
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Phenomenal, insightful and motivational af!
The exercises will bring you to your knees wanting to confess all your dirty little secrets that hold you in captivity.
Explore the darker parts of you and unleash that monster of a beast that has been begging to be released.
Relish in your Confidence because Life will be truly what you desire, you just have to go after it.
Dana Crawford
Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not finish this book. The constant anecdotal examples of random people really watered down anything beneficial this book may have had going. I didn't even mind the poor structure and motivational quotes, but inferring that the side stories were 'proof of concept' in the era of data analysis was unpalatable.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose
  • The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level
  • Happy Money: Understand and Heal Your Relationship with Money
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • Choose FI: Your Blueprint to Financial Independence
  • The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear to Faith
  • The Extra Woman: How Marjorie Hillis Led a Generation of Women to Live Alone and Like It
  • Clever Girl Finance: Ditch Debt, Save Money and Build Real Wealth
  • Blanche on the Lam (Blanche White #1)
  • Blanche Among the Talented Tenth (Blanche White series Book 2)
  • The Latte Factor: Why You Don't Have to Be Rich to Live Rich