Start by marking “Sepp Holzer: The Rebel Farmer” as Want to Read:
Sepp Holzer: The Rebel Farmer

Sepp Holzer: The Rebel Farmer

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  55 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
A delightful recounting of Sepp Holzer's journey into Perma Culture. Easy to read filled with many insights.
Published December 1st 2004 by Leopold Stocker Verlag (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sepp Holzer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sepp Holzer

Tom Lindsey
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sepp Holzer is a genius.

I was so impressed by Sepp that I studied German (online and with library books and CDs) for a few months so I would be able to competently travel to the Krameterhof (Sepp's farm) to meet him.

I was only at the Krameterhof for one day. But that one day was so worth all the money that the trip cost me. Sepp has created paradise in the Austrian Alps. I could speak at some length about that, but lets get back to the book and Sepp.

I only gave it four stars because I wanted s
Thoaium
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Es gibt mehrere Schwerpunkte in dem Buch: Privatleben, Entwicklung des Kramterhofs und die Versuche eine Idee profitabel umzusetzen und warum es erfolgreich bzw. woran es gescheitert ist. Bei vielen Projekten stand nicht die Wirtschaftlichkeit, sondern die Vereinigungen der Forstwirtschaft und der Fischwirtschaft und die Bürokratie im Weg. So etwas hab ich das als absoluter Laie noch nie mitbekommen und fand die Vorgänge sehr spannend und teilweise sehr absurd.

Spannend fand ich auch die Berichte
Simon
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good read if you want to see a real person put Permaculture to amazing use in a place of the world where you wouldn't expect things to grow at all, not alone successfully. It really turns the view of traditional farming on its head and gives us all hope for the future.

However, it doesn't give much detail on the hows and lingers too much on the court cases brought against him by neighbours who didn't understand or believe such methods could work so, although a good read for the most part, it did
David Hughes
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
The English translation is a bit rough at points, but I definitely enjoyed reading this as a complement to his technical book on permaculture. It gets you into his headspace a lot better, which is very important when you're dealing with techniques that are less about formal design and much more about observation and choosing approaches based on the situation.
Nate Bigler
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is as interesting to read about his interest, education and experiments with agriculture as it is to learn about the challenges he faced. I was surprised at all of the political and cultural barriers he encountered each time he tried something new.
Vida
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this bio down. It really provided a lot of context as to who Sepp is, as well as a good overview of where we went wrong with modern agriculture and how we can turn it around with a little creativity, cleverness and a willingness to experiment without fear. Highly recommend this book.
Jordan
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting, worth more reading. Pond construction in particular.
May
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A bit disorganized at the beginning but overall very informative and powerful read.
Grant
  • The Curry Secret
  • Mary Bell's Complete Dehydrator Cookbook
  • The Goddess in the Gospels: Reclaiming the Sacred Feminine
  • The Mushroom Cultivator: A Practical Guide for Growing Mushrooms at Home
  • Sowing Seeds in the Desert: Natural Farming, Global Restoration, and Ultimate Food Security
  • How to Grow More Vegetables: And Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land Than You Can Imagine
  • Rodale's All-New Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening: The Indispensable Resource for Every Gardener
  • A Modern Herbal
  • The Earth Care Manual: A Permaculture Handbook for Britain and Other Temperate Climates
  • A Brief History of the Future: The Origins of the Internet
  • The Earth-sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: How to Build an Energy Free Year-round Greenhouse
  • Respect the Spindle