Start by marking “The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales

The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales

Five original stories with the flavor of classic folk literature focus on the themes of love, truth, fear, and kindness.
Published March 1st 1974 by Thomas Y. Crowell

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales

Start your review of The Girl Who Cried Flowers and Other Tales
Tracy
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was about ten years old and the story of the Girl Who Cried Flowers has haunted me ever since. I've read and loved a lot of Jane Yolen's fiction since then but I've never been able to find a copy of this. It is a gorgeous sad story. Funny how I always love the sad ones. I remember the illustrations were exquisite. I just found it on Amazon (yay for the Internet) and I ordered it. Hopefully I will get it soon so I can read it again.
Desiree'
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great collection of whimsical tales! Her writing of the stories really sets the reader in an uninterrupted place.
Alaina
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great favorite for my mom to read to me when I was a child.
Awards and Recognitions: Golden Kite Award – 1974, Nominated for National Book Award – 1975
This collection contains five original fairy tales and is illustrated with a combination of black and white drawings and color illustrations reminiscent of the Art Nouveau style. The title story, set in ancient Greece, is about of a girl who, instead of tears, cries flowers. She’s named Olivia after the olive tree she was found in. People from all over come to her for flowers, so she spends her days happy
Relyn
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fairy tale lovers
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Jane Yolen.
First, you should know that I buy every old book I see that is written by Jane Yolen. She has been so prolific that many, many of her original fairy tales are out of print. She returns to this genre from time to time, but many of her tales were printed in the 70s and are hard to find. At $2.25, this book was the best bargain I've found in years.

Just a little plug for a favorite book store: If you are any where near Salem, Oregon, you should visit Escape Fiction. We were regular customers when
Michele
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this book for sale at my old library years ago and will keep it forever. The five stories contained are short but memorable, and I vividly remember them still after years of first reading them. Silent Bianca, about a woman who's voice is heard through melted ice-shards, is my favorite.

The illustrations by David Palladini are gorgeous. If I ever have children, I would love to read them these stories before they sleep. They're the perfect bedtime fairytales. If you ever get your hands on
Siobhan
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the very first books that I took out of the elementary school library as a little girl. In fact- I took it out so many times that when I graduated 6th grade, the Liberian gifted that copy to me.

This is an extremely thin book of striking tales that stay with you. I also find that it is a book I can still pick up now and get that same feeling as my much younger self. The illustrations are beautiful and simple, and strike just the right feelings. While I'm not sure that every child
Linz
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I once borrowed this book from the library, and it changed my idea of storytelling, fairytales, and tragedy forever. I only read a part of it, and never picked it up again. I always meant to...but never did.

Then one day, while perusing through Amazon's book department, I suddenly remembered Jane Yolen. I ordered the book right away. More in-depth review to come once I receive the book.
Deborah
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: x2011, kids
Was listed on the What's the Name of that Book group for the hunt of the story of a woman who spoke frozen words that had to be melted in order to hear what the woman was saying. Who wouldn't want to read that story? This book is made up of 5 fairy-tale style stories all original and thought provoking.
Melissa McClintock
I took a children's book writers class in college. Heard of Jane Yolen and picked up one of her books to check out what the Prof was speaking about. I never stopped reading her, and I am 42. Plus my 15 yo still likes her work, and it's nice there are some things we can both read that we like, since it's sometimes the only neutral ground we have
louisa
Not heavily illustrated, but those it has are high quality. Melancholy sometimes wry tales, per usual with Yolen.
Janet Fraser
Mar 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This may be the very best book of fairy tales ever written! Excellent storylines, beautiful language, engaging characters. Read it.
Lorraine Chavarria
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another one of those books that I remember checking out, over and over and over again when I was in elementary school. The illustrations and the stories have never left me.
Annie Zole
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is so crazy good, if you like the "original fairy tale" feel. Honestly it is so super good.
June Pecchia
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Giving it a 5 based on the title story... what a lovely tale with the image I'll never forget of a person crying flowers. Jane Yolen is a genius; read her early and often...
Reuel
Mar 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Children's literature. Good.
Kelsey
Best folk tales I've read since "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" from J.K. Rowling. And THOSE weren't even ancient.
Emily Sprouse
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you are going to buy any book of fairy tales, this is the one.
Kathleen
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Listened to cassettes from the Vancouver Library in 1994.
Book  Minx
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun folktales with lovely illustrations.
Cameron
Jan 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, ya
The illustrations seem a little dated now, but the stories don't.
Violi
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this book. It's so beautiful and the illustrations are just perfect.
Kaylee Vandyke
Nov 18, 2014
Lori
Dec 13, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What's the Name o...: Children's Book: Woman speaks frozen words [s] 17 220 Jan 28, 2012 09:18AM

• Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 1: Hooked on a Feline
  • Dotter of Her Father's Eyes
  • Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1)
  • Aurora Blazing (Consortium Rebellion, #2)
  • Art Through the Ages
  • Embroideries
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 3: Careless Whiskers
  • Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 2: Don't Stop Me-Ow
  • Displacement: A Travelogue
  • The Taken (Celestial Blues, #1)
  • Adventurer (Otherworld Stories, #5.1)
  • Perfect Victim (Nadia Stafford #3.6)
  • Double Play (Nadia Stafford, #3.5)
  • The Collected Poems of W.B. Yeats
  • Blades of Winter (Shadowstorm, #1)
  • Dare to Disappoint: Growing Up in Turkey
  • Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
  • Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in ...more
“I must fill myself with sorrow if I am to give you what you want.” 5 likes