Start by marking “If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery #2)

If Books Could Kill (Bibliophile Mystery #2)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  3,417 Ratings  ·  330 Reviews
Murder is easy-on paper.

Book restoration expert Brooklyn Wainwright is happy to be attending the world renowned Edinburgh Book Fair. But when her ex, Kyle McVee, shows up with a bombshell. He has an original copy of a scandalous text that could change history-and humiliate the beloved British monarchy.

Trying to get Kyle's story out of her mind, Brooklyn takes a nightmare
Published February 2nd 2010 by NAL (first published December 17th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about If Books Could Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Books Could Kill

Christina
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Overall, this was an enjoyable, quick read. It had a lot of the things I've liked about cozy mysteries- not too deep but entertaining, a resourceful MC with a funny cast of characters, a mystery with some good red herrings. Oh and book binding is facinating!

I dinged it however, because the MC makes fun of her recurring nemesis by calling her fat in so many words and other references to her weight. Didn't care for that at all. I hope that doesn't continue in the next book.

So I gave it a qualifi
Roberta
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
This isn't so much a bibliomystery as it is Stephanie Plum goes west.

The star of the show is a young woman with loony parents. She is involved with a handsome hunk who is connected to law enforcement and with another drop-dead gorgeous guy who operates outside of the law. She has a female sidekick who is noticed for her physical attributes. If you like Janet Evanovich's books, you've come to the right place.

I have decided that it is an advantage for my reading pleasure to believe that, in the
Holly Kench
Jul 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Gosh. OK. So here’s the thing. I sort of, vaguely, really, quite a bit, maybe enjoyed the first in this series, Homicide in Hardcover. I mean, it was a fun, trashy chick-lit-detective story that made for a relaxing read. The hero, Derek, rescued and patronised a little too much for my liking, and the heroine, Brooklyn, fainted more often than I could bear. Yet, despite the occasional stereotype, minority representation was good in this book, and it was basically a fun read.

However, the second i
Missy
Apr 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bibliomysteries
Terrible. I had a very difficult time finishing the book. THe first in the series was good, but this was bad-very bad. It should not be classified as a mystery, but a romance with a tiny, silly mystery. I will not continue the series and I am very disappointed, as I am a bibliophile and love reading about books-this hardly touched on book lore.
Carol
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
If Books Could Kill by Kate Carlisle
Bibliophile Mystery series Book #2
3.5★'s

From The Book:
Murder is easy-on paper. Book restoration expert Brooklyn Wainwright is attending the world- renowned Book Fair when her ex Kyle shows up with a bombshell. He has an original copy of a scandalous text that could change history-and humiliate the beloved British monarchy.

When Kyle turns up dead, the police are convinced Brooklyn's the culprit. But with an entire convention of suspects, Brooklyn's conducting
Gerry
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
A series of bibliophile mysteries, what could be better than combining two such themes? If this, the second in the series, is anything to go by, the answer is 'very little'.

Brooklyn Wainwright, a book restorer, is attending the Edinburgh Book Fair and is shown a supposedly rare volume by a colleague, who happens to have been a lover of hers.

She is perplexed by the volume and decides to investigate its authenticity but when she encounters dead bodies at almost every turn she realises that somethi
Ellie
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
If Books Could Kill by Kate Carlisle is a fun mystery. I liked the heroine, Brooklyn Wainwright, and her eccentric family. I liked her friends. I liked her job as a book binder and restorer and learned interesting stuff about a subject I find interesting.

Although the characters and plot are sketchy as genre characters often her, I enjoyed the sketches and felt that Carlisle added sufficient telling details to make each character seem alive. I was grateful that the characters were likable and I l
Cait S
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm still loving this series. I didn't enjoy this one quite as much as the first but it was still quite good.

I think the main problem I had with this one was that it felt very repetitive. Her days, other than the Big Plot Moments, were all much the same. Wake up confused, eat french toast, flirt with Derrek, PLOT HAPPENS, drink a lot of Scotch, go to bed, repeat. The whole book sort of plodded along that same set course.

But so it goes. Hopefully the third will be as good as the first.

Mary
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
The mystery was pretty good, but the romancy-elements annoyed me. How can every man she meets be gorgeous? No, not actually all of them, some are murder victims/suspects. All the others are outrageously good looking. Meh.
Apoorv  Moghe
If Books Could Kill | Kate Carlisle | 03Jan2016
Bibliophile Mystery #2

Published/Pages : 17Dec2009 | 290 pages
Location : Edinburgh (Scotland)
Time Frame/Season : 2000s | Summer
Genre : Mystery, Books about Books, Contemporary, Amateur Sleuth

Characters : Brooklyn Wainwright, Derek Stone, Robin Tully, Angus MacLeod, Minka LaBoeuf, Helen Chin, Martin Warrington, Perry McDougall, Kyle McVee, Serena McVee, Royce McVee.

-------------------------------
Rating Analysis

Premise : 7/10
Introduction : 7/10
Number
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When I read the first book in the series (Homicide in Hardcover), I knew that this was going to be a series that I would follow for quite a while. Not only does Carlisle manage to weave a good mystery, but she also includes one of my favorite subjects: books.

After the events from the previous book, all Brooklyn wants is to have a nice time at the Edinburgh Book Fair. However, her plans for a relaxing weekend are interrupted by her nemesis Minka as well as an ex-lover showing up claiming that he
Shonna Froebel
Jul 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, books
This is the second book in this serie, but the first that I've read. It's a light mystery, but not a cosy. Brooklyn Wainwright is a bookbinder and rare book dealer. She is in Edinburgh to attend the city's book fair. She is doing a couple of workshops herself, and hoping to meet up with some old friends. After stopping for a quick refreshment to help her with the jet lag from her trip from the west coast of the United States, and a disappointment at the end, she meets up with a friend she hasn't ...more
C.
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
When a new author guides me through their story, it takes time to adjust to their voice. Kate Carlisle only used a little suspense in her first novel, which differs prominently from the mystery one expects. The cover designer couldn't have read any of these manuscripts because 'Brooklyn' has no cat. But her humour is worth the way she veers towards uniqueness. I opened "If Books Could Kill" as a fan and savour the succeeding volumes, knowing I will love something about them. I scarcely care whic ...more
Jenna
Oct 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, mystery, cozies
If Books Could Kill picks up immediately after the events of Homicide in Hardcover. Book restoration expert Brooklyn Wainwright travels abroad for the Edinburgh Book Fair, still reeling slightly from the events of her mentor, Abraham's, murder back home in San Francisco. Not to mention feeling confused and conflicted about the intense - yet very new and uncertain - attraction between herself and the handsome Derek Stone.

While in Edinburgh, Brooklyn runs into her ex, Kyle McVee, who entrusts her
Laine The Librarian
Able to move on with her life and able to get to her book fair on time, Brooklyn Wainwright is having the time of her life. Trying to get the murder investigation out of her head, she attends the words largest book fair of all time. Able to get down to business and teach some classes on book binding, Brooklyn is having a great time. Even more so now when she runs into an old beau of hers. As they are catching up, he shows her a book that has some interesting history behind it.

History that has go
Carolyn Hill
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute and totally fluffy. The smart ass running commentary by the narrator kept it amusing. It's obvious that Kate Carlisle is also a romance writer (something I didn't know when I picked up this book) because her series character, Brooklyn Wainwright, is either kissing a hunky guy or thinking about kissing a hunky guy when she's not tripping over dead bodies. Brooklyn's profession of bookbinder and rare and old book restorer offers a new and interesting focus for a cozy murder mystery series. Th ...more
Denise
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was ok
I absolutely loved the first book in this series, Homicide In Hardcover, but I didn't find this second book quite as engaging. The interesting thing is I can't put my finger on why I didn't like it as well. One thing, I didn't find it very well paced. I also found it repetitive (Kyle is a good guy, Kyle is a bad guy...) I was surprised to find out who the murderer was and who Serena was. One other thing, and this may be really nit picking but every man that Brooklyn came in contact with was drop ...more
Lauren
If Books Could Kill
3 Stars

Brooklyn Wainwright travels to Scotland to participate in the annual Edinburgh book fair. When the body of her former beau is discovered, Brooklyn is once again a prime suspect in the case and is forced to investigate to clear her name.

Not as entertaining as the first book.

Brooklyn is an engaging heroine and the hints at a romance with Commander Derek Stone have potential. Unfortunately, an excess of stereotypical characters and an annoyingly condescending attitude to
Kate
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure if I would like this book since I have zero interest in book binding and I was worried that the main character would be a boring, dorky old lady who sat at home fixing books. I'm really glad I gave this series a try because I was so wrong! The main character was actually a lot of fun- she likes to go out with friends and have a good time which made for fun scenes in the book. There was a lot of action in this book and the setting, Scottland, was great! It brough in elements of haun ...more
BJ Rose
Jun 24, 2010 rated it liked it
The occupation of the heroine was the initial draw for me in this series - I wanted to read about repairing old books, and Brooklyn is an accomplished book restorer. But the real draw is Brooklyn's wacky family, who apparently will be following her around the world or across the country, depending on where each installment takes her. This time it was to Scotland, and I loved the travelogue aspect as Brooklyn and her friend Robin traversed Edinburgh on foot, and the descriptions of the countrysid ...more
I really enjoy these mysteries. The thing that is sticking in my craw is that the main character grew up in a commune and is supposed to be kind of accepting of all people and "Live & let live" in personality. But her nemisis is constantly made fun of for being overweight. Being a little fluffy myself, I kind of cringe everytime they call her a cow. As near as I can tell, Minka is the only "fat" character in any of these books. Maybe it's a San Francisco thing? Meh. I like the stories well e ...more
Melodie
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
This is only the 2nd in this series, but both have been real winners. This one is set in Edinburgh, Scotland, which is a place I hope to visit in the next couple of years. I like Brooklyn and her family is a hoot. I was pretty sure who the killer was about half way into the book, but still enjoyed all that happened leading up to the ending. A definite recommend!
Magpie67
Love the literary references! I could actually smell the pages of all the old books and new at the book fair in Scotland. Odd, quirky characters that just add a whole lot of zest to this series. I need to rush out and buy the third book in this series.... heck the whole darn series would be great to own.
LeAnna Shields
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
who knew a line about a colonic could send me rolling on the floor with laughter? I love how vivid and expressive all her characters are. the settings are well described and it all comes together in a very excellent read.
Mary
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the equal to "Homocide in Hardcover." It was entertaining. I liked that it was set in Scotland because I have not read a lot of books that were set in Scotland. Also, the characters were cleverly written. Most of them were witty and fun.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'll read more of her books!
Lynne
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The best part of this series has to do with the bookbinding tidbits and history. The budding romance in #2 is a foregone conclusion, but cute, nevertheless.
Judy Tate
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Following Brooklyn is a delight. I love Derek Stone.
Anushka
Michele
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Second book was as good as the first....and it started right after the first one ended, so there was continuity. The references back to the events and characters of the first book were well done...it wasn't repetitive and boring if you were familiar with the first book, but it gave enough detail that you could enjoy the second book. For example, one character got a very brief introduction in Book 2. He was just as "where did he he come from and where does he fit in" in the second book as he was ...more
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • Red Delicious Death (Orchard, #3)
  • Chapter and Hearse (Booktown Mystery, #4)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Classified as Murder (Cat in the Stacks, #2)
  • Due or Die (Library Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Evil in Carnations (A Flower Shop Mystery, #8)
  • Death Threads (A Southern Sewing Circle, #2)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Death by Diamonds (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #3)
  • Pretty in Ink (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, #2)
  • The Diva Paints the Town (A Domestic Diva Mystery, #3)
Golden Heart and Daphne du Maurier Award winning author Kate Carlisle spent over twenty years working in television production as an Associate Director for game and variety shows, including The Midnight Special, Solid Gold and The Gong Show. She traveled the world as a Dating Game chaperone and performed strange acts of silliness on The Gong Show. She also studied acting and singing, toiled in vin ...more
More about Kate Carlisle...

Bibliophile Mystery (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Homicide in Hardcover (Bibliophile Mystery #1)
  • The Lies That Bind (Bibliophile Mystery, #3)
  • Murder under Cover (Bibliophile Mystery #4)
  • One Book in the Grave (Bibliophile Mystery #5)
  • Peril in Paperback  (A Bibliophile Mystery, #6)
  • A Cookbook Conspiracy (A Bibliophile Mystery, #7)
  • The Book Stops Here (A Bibliophile Mystery, #8)
  • Ripped From the Pages (A Bibliophile Mystery, #9)
  • Books of a Feather (Bibliophile Mystery, #10)
  • Once Upon a Spine (Bibliophile Mystery #11)
“If my life were a book, I would have masking tape holding my hinges together. My pages would be loose, my edges tattered and my boards exposed, the front flyleaf torn and the leather mottled and moth-eaten. I'd have to take myself apart and put myself back together, as any good book restoration expert would do.” 11 likes