Start by marking “Not Suitable for Family Viewing” as Want to Read:
Not Suitable for Family Viewing

Not Suitable for Family Viewing

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  463 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Robin has everything a girl could want. Thanks to her mother—the internationally beloved talk show host Mimi Schwartz—Robin’s got the money, the means and the connections to make even her wildest dreams come true. So why, then, does she choose to sit alone in a dark room watching endless reruns of you, you and Mimi?

Don’t ask Robin. She doesn’t know—not, at least, until the
289 pages
Published October 8th 2009 by HarperTrophyCanada

To ask other readers questions about Not Suitable for Family Viewing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Not Suitable for Family Viewing

geekgirl
Nov 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
ohmigod. Please read this book. Please?
I started it on a whim on my lunch break (the book I brought with me really wasn't doing anything for me, so I ditched it, and picked this one at random from the stack I have stashed on my desk for reading emergencies (yes, I am that nerotic about reading. This habit came about after a couple instances during which I realized I'd left home with nothing to read, and had a mini panic attack while having to pretend to be normal).
I couldn't put it down.
Wait...
Elle Strauss
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Funny, clever and Canadian!

Robin is likeable in her brashness and self-effacing way, and a character that really grows on you as she peels back the layers of who she is and where she’s from. The love interest Levi is the kind of guy who brings the best out of her, and a guy you just can’t help but like (and sort of crush on). Mixed in is the quest to unravel a family secret, which is paced well and surprising.
Victoria
2.5 - 3.0 stars.

I think...I think this book is one of the ones that just isn't for me. I spent the majority of my time extremely confused and a little offended? I don't know why I kind of wanted to smack Robin about 3 out of 5 times she did anything.

First, the way she acts depressed in the beginning. I'm not entirely sure if she is considering how she acts. Now, I'm quite intimately associated with how depression works and if that was what the author was going for - I feel like she didn't reall
Michelle. D.
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Sabhie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book started off very quirky but quickly became an intense story. Events unfold very smoothly. Very easy to notice the character development. Really cute story, I really wish some parts were longer and more detailed. (view spoiler) ...more
Sarah Emsley
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
"I'd read all Austen's books a million times. I practically knew them by heart." I'm always interested in characters who say things like that! I really enjoyed this novel and I'm glad I picked it up right after I read Vicki Grant's newest book, Short for Chameleon.
Diana Dang
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Robin is filthy rich because her mother, Mimi Schwartz, is a big-time TV host. One would expect her to be popular and surrounded by famous people. Instead, she coops up in her room and watches the re-runs of her mother's show episodes without giving a care in the world.

When she finds an old picture of her mother, she decides that she will go off to discover who Mimi really is. Packing her bags to leave New York City, she lands in a small town in Nova Scotia, Canada. As she tries search for her m
Canadian Children's Book Centre
Reviewed by Rachel Seigel

Robin Schwartz should be happy. With famous talk-show host Mimi Schwartz for a mom, she’s got everything she needs to make her dreams come true. So why then, is she sitting alone in the dark watching endless reruns of her mom’s show? When the bizarre discovery of an old high school ring sets her off on a quest to solve the mystery behind its origin, Robin finds herself in a tiny Nova Scotian fishing village where she discovers love, the truth of her background, and the s
Ashley - Book Labyrinth

I was in the mood for a contemporary, so I picked this one up off my shelf. I wasn't sure what to think of it for a lot of the time. In the beginning I was interested, but that sort of dropped off a little in the middle, and then toward the end? Yeah, it definitely had my attention again. And I can tell that a solid story has been told, because I'm still thinking about the community and its history a few hours after finishing the book.

The romance in the book is not as big a part of the
Colin
Jun 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Appropriate for grade eight. A little slow at the beginning. The main character is not entirely sympathetic at first, but then again, she is not really meant to be. She is the spoiled child of an absent, Oprah-like mother. Things seem to improve once the main character arrives in Port Minton. Clearly, the author is more familiar with Nova Scotia than she is with New York. The New York section at the beginning reads a bit like a Gossip Girls book without being quite so sordid. Having said that, t ...more
Alyson
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was amazingly awesome. I cannot even put in words how amazing it is!

It starts with Robin, a couch potato (like me!) watching her famous mother, Mimi Schwartz, on her talk show. Soon, after a series of interesting events, Robin finds herself headed to Port Minton, Nova Scotia.

Here, she tries to find out about her family, and how her mother could have possibly have any connection with a ghost town. And meeting a cute guy along the way (Levi sounds PERFECT!)

Another series of odd
Sonya Grewal
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Robin is filthy rich due to her mother, Mimi Schwartz's fame from being a host on a popular talk show. Robin can buy whatever she wants but instead she sits in her room watching reruns of her mother's show. After uncovering an old ring and a photo of her mother, she begins to wonder about her mother's past. Robin decides to go to a small town in Nova Scotia to ind answers about her mother! While there, she falls in love with a boy and uncovers the secret of her mother's rise to fame!
I read this
Cynthia
Jun 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: funny, interesting
I absolutely was shocked when I figured out that Vicky Grant was one of the people who wrote scripts for "The Big Compfy Couch!!" Thas was absolutely my favorite show, when I was about 3 or 4 years old. There is something about her writing which is truly original. This, I agree I must pat her on the back for. In the novel, "Not suitable for family view, " please do not retain yourself from reading this book, because of the title, there fore that is a silly option indeed.

Quite the interesting re
Nancy H
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Okay, This is THE best book I've EVER read. I have to be honest though.. the first 2 pages might not seem VERY exciting at all.. But, I promise you will not put this book down! I've recommended this too all my friends, and to my best friend, that RARELY reads, and she told me that this is the best book she's ever read! The whole time I was thinking about Levi.. and how dreamy he is ! I mean, if there were more Levi's in this world, not a lot of breakups would be happening! Also, I think Robin is ...more
Larisa
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up because I'd seen a lot of people reading it. That spiked my interest and soon I found myself checking the book out.
Not Suitable for Family Viewing is a about the daughter of a famous talk show host who decides to spend her time indoors-every minute of the day until one day she finds a ring hidden in a chair, The ring comes from a small town, so she ventures down there where she ends up finding out her mother’s true origins, her true blood (as in ancestors, as in what race t
Lisa Anderson
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Easy read. I liked that the plot kept me guessing as the characters were revealed one layer at a time. Good message of self image - the contrast between real beauty and the images portrayed on television or in public media. Touches on how adults/parents are only able to give in ways they themselves learned in their own childhood, and that children/teens can accept that if they understand it. Interesting read.
Bookworm
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it

Oh my lord it is such a wonderful book. A must read. I am surprised that I really enjoyed it because when I went to the library I couldn't find the books I wanted so I looked around( cuz I didn't want to come back empty handed) and stumbled upon this book! It didn't look great but I needed to read something and it is a red maple winner at my school so I thought why not give it a try. And I'm so glad I did
Alexis
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
I didn't enjoy this book at all, and I'm fairly open minded when it comes to YA, as long as it's decently written. Robin's mom Mimi is a talk show host. Robin discovers some things that point to evidence from her mother's past and she travels to Nova Scotia to discover the truth about her mother.

The plot is really insane and takes a long time to unravel. This was just sort of over the top.
Ms. K Fast
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it
This book changed directions a number of times. At first I thought the protagonist was taking me on an emotional roller coaster. AS her character developed I was more intrigued and taken with the "love story". Once I was 2/3 into the book the mystery component kicked in and teen love wasn't all that caught the reader's attention. Good read. Yes, I recommend it.
VladimirPoutine
Nov 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book has major potential. The plot was great, I loved the suspense and plot twist and shock. But you could literally skip the entire middle of the book and not miss anything but mush. Pointless, boring, mushy romance that had nothing to do with the bloody storyline. If you are to read this, read the first pages, and the last ones and you're basically done the important story.
Jayme
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
Really enjoyed this, much more than I thought I would, especially considering its a Canadian Young Adult novel. Had to read it for my YA class at school. I thought it was funny when it needed to be and really captured how 17-year olds react and talk about things. Plus it was an interesting story that kept my attention.
Rosanne
May 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Main character has no personality other than being self-centred and whiny with no sense of perspective. Story is contrived with too many unbelievable plot points and a lot of repetition. Decent writing saves it from the 1 star rating, but I did not really like it. Wish I could say more for a book that takes place in NS, which is a great place!!
Kristen
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining, funny, and fascinating with a good dose of mystery. I HIGHLY recommend this novel - it is worth your time! My only complaint would be that the main character's lack of self esteem is really annoying but other than that, it was much better than I expected!!!
Joyce
Jun 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Canadian author; CHSBC 2013; most provocative part of book is probably cover; light & easy read; interesting plot line in which a teen's startling discovery of secrets in her mother's past end up going far to resolve their rocky relationship and her depressed state.
I loved this! A great quick teen fiction read and set in Nova Scotia, which is recognizable throughout the book. An interesting story about finding yourself, with some story lines about mystery and prejudice and love thrown in for good measure!
Canadian Reader
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Clever, humorous, romantic, wonderfully written. Teen girls and many women will enjoy the story of Robin's search into her famous TV-personality mother's past (think Oprah) and ultimately herself. The soap-opera-ish plot twists, turns, and amuses. Highly recommended.
Sana Haque
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
A funny clever girl, who happens to be a daughter of an Oprah type talk show host , runs away to find where she came from and especially figure out her mom. The story is funny and heart warming and was a pleasant read for vacation time.
Casey
Sep 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it! Lots of twists and turns in the plot.
Emily20
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very good book. The cover makes it look gross but its really more about the girl and her family. It wasn't my favourite book but its pretty good.
Marian
Oct 02, 2015 rated it liked it
An interesting and easy young adult read with lots of action and romance. The protagonist was strong and the story was light yet enjoyable. Good for reluctant readers who are girls.
  • Haunted
  • The Way It Is
  • So Much to Learn
  • Undergrounders
  • Chance to Dance for You
After a long and messy adolescence, Vicki Grant stumbled into writing. She worked her way up from 30-second ads to 30-minute television scripts to full-length novels. She's written sixteen young adult, middle-grade and high-low novels. Her next book, 36 Questions That Changed My Mind About You, will be published this fall in eight languages. Vicki lives in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Awards:
Arthur Ellis
More about Vicki Grant

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Tell The Wolves I'm Home
    $12.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Black Bird of the Gallows