Start by marking “The Welcoming” as Want to Read:

The Welcoming

Visitors come to Charity's friendly little inn to escape their ordinary lives. But FBI Agent Roman DeWinter knows something ugly is going on beneath the cozy surface. His mission is to expose the dangerous criminal gang operating out of the inn. Going undercover, Roman begins his investigation - which puts Charity's life on the line. A hit-and-run attack leaves her shaken ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 317 pages
Published June 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published October 9th 1989)

Start your review of The Welcoming
Ashley Daviau
This wasn’t quite up to Nora’s usual standards but it was still an enjoyable read nonetheless. I thought the idea was really interesting and wish it had been expanded on more, it felt like everything happened so fast and the story was in a rush to be over. And because of that I didn’t get a chance to connect with any of the characters which very much affected my enjoyment of the story. It’s much easier to get into a story when you genuinely care about the characters and what happens to them!
Srivalli Rekha
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
It wasn't really Nora's best book. I don't usually like my heroes smoking so that was one minus point. The imagery of the locations and Nature were great. Overall, an entertaining book.
Heidi Rice
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a newish book, it wasn't... The moment the hero - FBI agent Roman de Winter posing as a handyman at our sweet heroine Charity's picaresque Washington inn - had to sneak out in the middle of the night to phone his contact, I figured out this was a very old book. Once I had got over that disappointment (and the fact the hero was a chain smoker! Yuk!) I enjoyed the book. Obviously it's not new Nora with all the ways in which she's improved as a writer in the last 30 years - the ...more
Mirjam
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I'm a big Nora Roberts fan and haven't read a book by her I didn't like, and The Welcoming is no exception. It's one of her early works, which does show, but it's still an enjoyable read. Roman and Charity are easy to fall for. The undercover FBI-agent and the charming owner of an idyllic inn fall head over heels in love, but there is danger to avert. A lovely romance is the perfect read on a Sunday morning!
Bryn
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not her best but enjoyable. I love a bit of chick lit, romance and adventure
Dee
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Review haiku:
Inn on Puget Sound.
Smuggling and counterfeiting.
True love overcomes.
Sue
3.25 just okay, I'd skip it... not really her best work.
Judy Churchill
This was a simple story. It is not sophisticated or unique, but just a sweet story.
Christine Beswick
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Quite a fun, light, easy read, but rather formulaic and predictable
Megan
SOA Listening Challenge 2012, Track 4: Contemporary 1/4

This is a fun but forgettable listen: while you run, do dishes, drive, basically, while doing something else.

PLOT:
FBI Agent Roman DeWinter goes undercover at a bed-and-breakfast inn on Orcas island to uncover a counterfeiting and smuggling ring. Suspicion is on the Inn's attractive upbeat owner, Charity Ford, who is heavily involved in all aspects of running the Inn.

It becomes quickly clear to Roman that Charity is not a suspect. He finds
Leah
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a Sunday, in the garden, lazy read. I thoroughly enjoyed the story and read it in one sitting.
It was a little predictable but it didn't spoil the story.
The characters were interesting and the storyline was written in a way that makes you want to keep reading.
Noras descriptions of characters and the area where the story is based are are always so amazing. I can really imagine who and where they are.
I would definitely recommend this book if fancy a great short read.
Rachel
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, e-book, romance
Fun but in the long list of Nora Roberts books, forgettable.
An ok book, especially when you consider when it was written. Not the best or most memorable, but it's pretty short and a quick read.
Caffenero
We can call it an Oldie ;)
The brooding hero is being politically incorrect not for his bad habits but for smoking cigarettes :O :D
Still an interesting reading.
Maria
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok yeah, 1989 I believe this was published, so I guess we gotta forgive dear old Roman the benefit of smoking.
I found it really odd though, that even back then, we knew not to give someone who has been knocked out a sedative to help them recover. So, that was a bit of a fantasy in Ms. Roberts storyline to show the poor innocent/I need a big strong man to protect me/woman having her man to come to the rescue.
Overall, I often feel I am reading the same stories in Nora's books, the plots are often
Crystalvuletichotmail.com
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book was fantastic. I have always been a Nora Roberts fan due to her expert writing style. She always portrays every situation so clearly there is never a doubt to what is going on and her characters are strong. I did feel like the kitchen ladies were a bit over board but that is just how Ms. Roberts writes, there's always a few characters a bit over the top and a lot of wholesomeness going on as well. The action and the money laundering and people smuggeling was wooven well into this ...more
Suzi
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to read alot of Nora Roberts but then went to reading crime and thrillers. A friend got me this for a present and I thoroughly enjoyed it as a nice change from the thrillers.
I love the way Nora always writes about her characters in such a way that makes you feel like you know them and are experiencing things with them. Think I will be definitely returning to being a fan. Perfect holiday read.
Debby SIMONTON
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I stumbled across an older Nora Roberts book that I haven’t read. Compared to her more recent novels it’s clear the growth she has experienced as a writer. It’s a quick easy read with a glimmer of the character development and story construction Ms Roberts would showcase in later books. Worth a couple hours.
Diane Wesely
Had hard time getting started but last half held my interest. I would recommend as an okay read. Expected more from Nora Roberts. Have always liked her book.

Will probably try more of her books in the future. Love all her JDRobb books and have read every one of them.
Linda
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romanti-suspense
Charity struggles to maintain her inn and is doing fairly well , until Roman strolls into her life as a handyman. He is actually FBI , in an undercover sting involving someone in her area or inn. It was not one of my favs but it is good.
Linda Jones
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just wish her books didn't end!

I always enjoy reading Nora Roberts books, but always want more. Even the trilogy and series. I feel as if the characters are people I know and want to hear more about how they are doing. It's nice to nearly always have a happy ending.
Betty
Dec 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get through this book fast enough. Totally predictable from page one. I like passion and romance as much as the next person, but that was pretty much all this book consisted of. The villains were easy to spot - boring.
Judith Sherrod
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Welcoming

Fast paced story of outlaws and the agents that chase and catch them. This book is a keeper. All the love and longing of two people that have no one else are put in a situation that can mean certain death for one of the other screws up.
Dori
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Predictable and fluff
Linda
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow! What an interesting story; deep characters with many conflicting sides but has a very abrupt ending. I'm sure there's a sequel there; right?
Diana
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really like Nora Roberts. However, this book is not very interesting. Seems like just the same boy meets girl.
Cyd
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Kind of cheesy...
Janet
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 really. definitely Older.
J Booth
Good read

Sappy love story..great summer read. Pretty well dragged out but easy to read
Not much of a plot but enjoyable
Leek
Jan 03, 2020 rated it liked it
It was ok...just. Very tame, not NR’s usual tension.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Outfox
  • Vendetta in Death (In Death, #49)
  • Bronze (Blackwood Elements #8)
  • Water Under the Bridge (Chalk Hill #1)
  • Lacey (Outback Brides of Wirralong #1)
  • Willing to Die (To Die #8)
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • Outback Dreams (Bunyip Bay, #1)
  • Met Her Match
  • A Wedding in Cornwall (Books 1-6)
  • Take Me Home (Bindarra Creek A Town Reborn #1)
  • The Dark Side
  • Spirit of the Season
  • Shadows at Dawn (Maximum Security #1.5)
  • Lost and Found
  • The Trouble with Paradise (The Richards Brothers Book 1)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • Nantucket Neighbors (Nantucket Beach Plum Cove series Book 2)
“Ton: »Iss das jetzt. Durch mein Gebäck” 0 likes