Start by marking “Island of Flowers” as Want to Read:
Island of Flowers

Island of Flowers

A New York Times Bestselling Author

Laine Simmons had traveled to Hawaii to reconcile with her long-estranged father -- only to be accused by his handsome young business partner of having ulterior motives. How dare Dillon O'Brian interfere in her family affairs . . . and have the nerve to set her heart aflame whenever he came near?

Mass Market Paperback, Language of Love #10 - Amaryllis, 190 pages
Published May 1st 1992 by Harlequin Books (Mm) (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Island of Flowers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Island of Flowers

Flannery
HELL HATH FROZEN OVER. I never thought I'd see the day that I would hate a Nora Roberts book. I hated this so much, I felt like Madeline Kahn from Clue when she describes why she killed Yvette.

I hated [it] SO much...flames...flames...on the side of my face...

It all started out innocently enough--a twenty-something woman goes to Hawaii to find the father she hasn't seen in 15 years. At the airport, an attractive man offers her a charter flight to the island of Kauai, where her father is. As it tu
Thenia
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A straitforward old-school romance, where Laine travels to Hawaii to find her estranged father, and meets Dillon, his much younger and pretty hostile business partner.

Dillon, who believes that (view spoiler), is less than happy when she arrives at their doorstep.

Laine, who (view spoiler)
Chava
Jun 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
I listened to the audiobook and the narrator really got on my nerves.
The story was rather troubling to me. The male, Dylan, is too forceful and it felt violent and intrusive to me. The woman lets him do it. Not romantic to me at all!!!
Lyndi W.
Dec 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-star
So god damn corny and stupid. "Oh my, kiss me again, Dillon!"

I can see why other people hate this story, but the cheesiness and ridiculous is exactly what I was looking for right now.
Dee
Dec 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Review haiku:
Divorce shatters child.
She seeks father years unseen.
Love in Hawaii.
Ash
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Re-read
Didn't like the hero. Accused heroine of being a whore and attempted to force himself on her and when she leaves from there he finds her and then suddenly he loves her and cant live without her and he gets forgiven also.
In real life he would have been kicked to the curb or be in prison.
Ashley Christensen

Faiza Sattar
Dec 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, ylto-2018-read
★☆☆☆☆ (1/5)

I’ve always steered clear of mushy, tawdry romantic novels with no take away, (especially the ones with scantily clad heroines on the cover embracing a shirtless and toned hunk - most cringe worthy).

But 2018 is all about pushing my self-imposed reading boundaries so I begin this year by reading “Island of Flowers” by Nora Roberts who is famous for writing romance novels. Let’s see if this novel succeeds in removing my bias.

Update
One word: Schmaltzy
I stand corrected. This was NOT a go
Trista Blair
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
There it is, the breakout... The book I was waiting for. Characters that are rich, compelling and a story that is sweet. A true page turner. Laine is the first of Nora's heroines that you feel for. She hasn't had the life that her father or Dillon expect she has had. Dillon is suspicious of her motives. All Laine wants is to spend time with the man, her mother deprived her of knowing. Learning of her deceptions and then deciding not to enlighten her father makes it even harder, but she persevere ...more
Maura
Amanda
I love Nora Roberts, but she has definitely improved over time. This book is a product of its era in that it uses the "hero is a rich jerk" formula. It goes like this:

Man is rich playboy, in his 30s.
Woman is much younger, usually in very early 20s.
Woman is poor and a virgin.
Because of a misunderstanding or just because the guy is a jerk, he treats her like crap through the whole book.
Somehow, both still manage to fall in love -- without the other being aware of it.
Another misunderstanding, usual
Gemma
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Oh Nora, you certainly know how to write a cute little romance novel.

I adore her writing and find her books endlessly entertaining and easy to relax into and enjoy. It's a nice change after a hard days work to have a good, easy, stress free book to get into.

This story was one of Nora's better works. Pretty PG but full of emotionally charged characters and tense moments where you just want to scream at the protagonist and the love interest! But that's what makes them fun. All set on the beautif
Tom Long
Mar 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
A rather abrupt change in tone takes place as the woman who had been raised in a French nunnery is sexually assaulted by the charter pilot who picks her up at the Honolulu airport. I'm not quite sure where Nora was coming from in this story as the man forces himself on her twice and over the course of these assaults they fall in love. But the character of her father's housekeeper was awesome. I want her to be a part of our household. Of course Roberts can write, and Hawaii is a favorite setting, ...more
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Dillion is an asshole. Laine has been the neglected unloved child and Dillion passes judgement w/o ever taking a chance. I liked this short story despite my frustration with Dillion. I'm glad Laine had enough self respect and left this jerk off behind. She deserves better. While the story did end with a happily ever after, I think I would have liked better for Laine to do without Dillion. He isn't good enough for her.
Sam Walton
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Island of Flowers was the second Nora Roberts book I’ve read and for the life of god I don’t think I’ve ever felt so many raw emotions, especially towards the end. Absolutely loved the characters and the story, would have loved to have seen a bit more of Dillon and Laine as a couple, a part from that, the ending was pretty much perfect.
Carly Ellen Kramer
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
A little dated and corny, but entertaining enough.
Tmny
Aug 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Horrifying how Roberts tries to pass off sexual assault and harassment as "romance fiction".
Lisa
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nora-roberts
Laine & Dillion...just ok. One of her very early books. Not well-developed.
Tima
Feb 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Hmm... So, 1982...some things just don't age well. ;-)
Jess
I super enjoy the intensity of this one, but the last fight is really very terrible and I wanted a much longer grovel.
Megs
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Just no.
Andrea O'Brien
Adric Rangel
***Valoración 4.5/5 a 5/5 estrellas***

Leí este libro por mera curiosidad, ya que he tenido algunos libros de Nora Roberts en stand by. Sin embargo, la sinopsis de este me animó para leerlo. Tengo que admitir que la portada me desilusionó un poco, porque Laine Simmons para nada es morena, sino rubia. Tengo que agregar también que me sorprendió mucho la narrativa porque sentí que de nuevo leía algo de Nora Roberts (el último que había leído de ella me desilusiono mucho, no sentí que leía a Nora Ro
Irene
Dec 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me declaro amante de los escritos de Nora Roberts es de la escritora que más libros he leído hasta la fecha y creo seguir sumando muchos más, pero con este libro no termine de sentir que fuera su escritura y no lo digo porque no me entretuviese que si lo hizo pero al terminarlo sentí que quedaron demasiados huecos, normalmente me fascinan sus protagonistas mujeres con tendencia a ser aguerridas, luchadoras e independientes eso si con defectos también pero mujeres interesantes esto no me paso con ...more
Jeany
Aug 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nora-roberts
Normally, I would have given this a two-star review. The man is overbearing and the story was too quick. The last part was terrible. Apparently, an "I love you" was always enough for female characters to just forgive and forget. I just don't support this easy resolution. However, I've been reading Nora Roberts' earlier works and I didn't really like the previous books I've read before this. So this book kind of came as a surprise. I enjoyed it compared to the other earlier works written by NR. S ...more
Amy Ingalls
It is obvious this is Nora Roberts at the beginning of her writing career. The book has potential to be a well-written story, it just isn't fully fleshed out. The way the characters fall in love seems out of the blue and doesn't really make sense. Then there is the early 80's rapeiness of love stories. How is forcing yourself on a woman romantic? Why would a woman decide halfway through the attack that she wants the man and give in, then be disappointed when he stops himself? Thank goodness wome ...more
Sandra
Jun 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ahora entiendo lo que dice la gente que lee a Nora Roberts, de que tiene una faceta buena, y una mala, al escribir. Una historia tan corta no prometía nada bueno, pero es verdad que necesitaba algo que me distrajera pero no fuera demasiado tiempo. Aún así, esperaba más, y desde luego, un libro donde ambos protagonistas se comportan de forma caótica y donde el final es trillado, no es nada recomendable ni para pasar un rato.
Emily Higgins
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
After her mother’s death in a car crash, Laine Simmons travels to Hawaii to see the father she had lost touch with after her parents divorce. Once in Hawaii, Laine finds out that her father had tried to communicate with her and her mother had kept it from her. Laine is also intrigued by her father’s business partner and island life.
monica
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La isla de las flores

Muy buena y linda. Aunque si pienso que el final fue muy precipitado ,disfrute mucho la historia.el amor a primera vista que sienten Millán y lane,también bastante explosivo y tormentoso lo que hace la historia muy interesante.
Jacque Green
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story

This was my second reading of this book! I read it years ago when I lived in Washington state....and now I know much more about the background as I have been living in Hawaii for 5 years! I love the story and the mix of both worlds.
  • The Spanish Consultant - Sang Konsulen Spanyol (Westerling, #1)
  • Christmas Cowboy - Natal Sang Koboi (Long, Tall Texans #14.5)
  • An Arabian Marriage (Sister Brides, #1)
  • The Wedding-Night Affair - Selingkuh Di Malam Pengantin
  • Butterflies, Flowers, Vol. 7 (Butterflies, Flowers, #7)
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Holiday Royale
  • Sang Playboy Paris - The Parisian Playboy
  • Perkawinan
  • The Venetian Playboy's Bride - Belahan Jiwa Sang Playboy (Counts of Calvani , #1)
  • The Sicilian Surrender - Terpikat Sang Pria Sisilia
  • Passion Becomes Her (Becomes Her, #4)
  • Taming the Beastly MD - Menaklukkan Sang Dokter (Dynasties: The Barones, #4)
  • Taggart's Woman
  • Istri Simpanan
  • The King's Pleasure
  • A Whisper of Danger (Treasures of the Heart #2)
  • Crescendo
“Love, she thought, should not come with such quick intensity. It should flow slowly, with tenderness and gentle feelings. It shouldn't stab like a sword, striking without warning, without mercy. How could one love what one could not understand?” 0 likes