Start by marking “Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful” as Want to Read:
Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful

Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  664 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
BON JOVI: WHEN WE WERE BEAUTIFUL is an intimate look at one of America′s most enduringly popular bands after 25 years of hits, fame, tours and troubles. It is the companion to a major documentary to be released in Fall 09 to coincide with the band′s anniversary. The documentary follows the band on their 2008 Lost Highway tour and at home, talking about everything from life ...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Collins Design (first published 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Bon Jovi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bon Jovi

Tania
May 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful is about the legendary band Bon Jovi as of 2008. Billed as a story of the band's career, it's a bit misleading. However, I do love the book for what it is, rather than disliking it for what it is not. What it is - a great point in time reflection on what the band has meant to its members, what they mean to each other, and how the journey they've been on for 25 years has affected them.

Intertwining an interview-style narrative with full color, full page photos, th
Julie
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is the companion to the documentary of the same name. This is a 'coffee table' book so the emphasis is on the photography, with a minimal amount of words, most of which is presented in an interview style format.

For the big fan, this book is a must.... but,

I am a fan, but I have seen much better presentations and the while the quality of the photos are fine, and they do appear to capture the band in off moments where they seem pensive, tired, or bored, they were often posed, and somet
Jadin
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is the documentary in book form. I actually think that it comes off better in the book. For a Bon Jovi fan, this is an essential item for their collection.

May the circle be unbroken!
Heidi
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Sadly there wasn't enough of the old stuff in this book. I'm an 80s girl at heart so I was hoping to hear about those days.
Anne Wi
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was an excellent journey with Bon Jovi during 25 years of their career. The book was published in 2009/probably released in 2010. If you are a fan this is a must read; the pictures in the book were really good too.
Joanne
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying that if you are a Bon Jovi fan, this is a book that you will want to have on your coffee table. You can only imagine how tickled pink I was to open this book and find so many full page photographs from the very same concert that I attended in 2008! This book gives you an honest look into the lives of the band and the path they followed that brought them where they are today.

As they look back at the beginning of their career it seems to me that when they hit it big, they hi
Chip'sBookBinge
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful is hyped as a career retrospective coffee table book with never before seen photos. I was thinking this was going to be like that of Queen: The Ultimate Illustrated History of the Crown Kings of Rock. Boy, was I ever wrong on that. Where Queen's book is packed with a ton of never before seen images of the band and in depth stories, testimonials and reviews to keep you busy for days on end, Bon Jovi's book is the complete opposite.

I have been a huge fan of these g
Blagica
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
seeing that I am from Jersey and I love Bon Jovi this was a perfect gift to have been given. In the last couple weeks I have been on a biography or memoir kick so this was perfection on pages.

I have not yet seen the documentary that accompanies this book (I don't get Showtime...bummer), but the book is a very in-depth look into one of the worlds most successful bands. The guys speak candidly about their days starting out, just how green they were when they released their first few albums, and h
Christopher Long
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Light on text, yet heavy on photos, "When We Were Beautiful" is an authorized, behind-the-scenes account of one of rock's all-time biggest and best-loved bands.

Most of the fabulous photographs featured within the book's 184 pages come courtesy of author Phil Griffin, who shot them during Bon Jovi's record-setting 2008 Lost Highway world tour. However, "When We Were Beautiful" also includes amazing, never-before-seen pics spanning the multi-platinum group's entire twenty-five year career.

Offering
Serena
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful, conversations with Phil Griffin is chock full of behind the scenes, on stage, and recording photos, plus interviews with the band members. Fans of Bon Jovi will be fascinated to learn about the family that is Bon Jovi. Bon Jovi: When We Were Beautiful is not only a look at the past, present, and possible future of the band, but also about the dedication and ambition that each member holds in unison for what they have created.

The book is a testament to that dedic
Anne Mortimer
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
A coffee table book featuring photos of the band across their career. It is marketed as a biography in collaboration with the band but is really an interview with some key points repeated again and again. Essentially they are a close knit band - as close as family and they all lookout for each other, but it lacked interesting anecdotes. There are some great photos and I still love their music but shouldn't be described as a biography.
Jan 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bon Jovi fans, rock music fans
A book every Bon Jovi fan should enjoy. It's filled with pictures of the band through the early days up through 2008 as well as quotes from the band themselves.

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed that there weren't more pictures from the late 80's/early 90's, but the book is still amazing. There's some truly gorgeous pictures here, and it's always interesting to read the thoughts of the band themselves.
Andrew
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
The photos are wonderful but the text is just plain stupid. Someone described it better as "a totally self-congratulatory and ego-driven narrative by the band members. I almost choked while I was reading it."

Indeed, it's very shallow. I expected a lot more but there's more valuable info on Wikipedia than here.
Stephanie  Harchar
Dec 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I never like Bon Jovi as a teenager. I thought that he was full of hot air and made all my friends cry and scream. I wasn't part of that. However, I have to give him credit when I read this book and how the struggle of being on the road and pushing to be one of the best. I have seen a new light. A man who is a great giver and a great leader for his bandmates.

Rebecca
Sep 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2010
What great photography in this book. And the band talked about how close they are after 26 years of touring together. They said they will never write an autobiography because they don't want people to know all of their personal details and I don't blame them.
Stephanie
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A must for Bon Jovi fans!!
Kiara Kitten
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved looking at the photos. The writing was ok but there are some beautiful photos in the book.
Pattie Babbitt
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Photographs were amazing! I also now have my first official bucket list item...to go to a Bon Jovi concert. :)
Glenda Bettin
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was really disappointed in this book, don't get me wrong I loved the pictures and some of the insight but was expecting more of a real insight into the band and their family etc.
Ekaterina
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Will be interesting for a fan, shows the band from other side! Humorous as usual)
Indah Threez Lestari
523 - 2012
Melodie
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Fabulous photos with an intimate look at the band, the tours, and the heart/soul that makes them Bon Jovi. Also makes a beautiful coffee-table book. :)
Amy
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rock-bio
They didn't share as much as I hoped, loved looking at all the photo's though.
Maria Wheeler
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My wonderful daughter bought this book for me for Christmas. I love it! Really cool look at band members and its journey.
Joan
Feb 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shallow, self-congratulatory piffle. Maybe the coffee table version is pretty, but the kindle version is just a waste.
Kiedra
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
Loved the pictures, but not much of a story.
Kathryn
Apr 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Yes I read it cover to cover and I loved it. Jon is extremely photogenic. Ritchie isn't so bad either.
Katy
Nov 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is so awesome. I'd recommend it for the photos alone, but the story is great too.
Jacinta
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Big Bon Jovi fan and enjoyed this biography!
Annette
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
If you love Bon Jovi you'll love this book. Great photographs and interesting retrospective comments about the band and each other.
Kent Douglas-schumaker
I'll be honest - I want to remember this band as 'my band'! Growing up in the 80's & '90's, they were the provider of song for my sanity, my memories, my friendships, my loves, & my Road Trip adventures. I am finding it tough to be a fan of them These Days, but I'll read this a second time remembering the boys from 'When They Were Amazing'! If you're a fan of Music & the stories Music creates- I am confident you'll enjoy this. If you're looking for juicy 'unfounded' stories - you won ...more
Alisa
This book can't really be described as a biography. Rather, it is a collection of photographs with quotes from the band included. If you've been a fan of the band for a while, you know they are a tight-knit brotherhood, almost like a closely guarded secret society. A sleazy tell-all biography just would not be their style. That being said, the quotes in this book are enlightening. You get a feel for the dynamics within the band and how they feel about their legacy. And the photographs from the ...more
Teri
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Eh....this was not what I expected. It was more of a photo album with a little bio. I don't need to see pics. I want the dirt. At the very least it was just good eye candy and for that reason I only gave it 2 stars
Heather
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
After 25 years, fans get a personal glimpse in Bon Jovi's life through each band member's lives. Beautiful pictures accompany the text in a way that best exemplified the band. This is a book for the fans whether they're discovering the music for the first time or have known them for several years. It's a journey to understand a band whose career is still going strong today.
Lori Petticrew
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
since i am a HUGE fan, this is right up my alley!
Robin
  • The Rolling Stone Interviews
  • No Regrets: A Rock 'n' Roll Memoir
  • My Friend Michael: Growing Up With The King Of Pop
  • Radiohead and Philosophy: Fitter Happier More Deductive
  • Tattoos & Tequila: To Hell and Back with One of Rock's Most Notorious Frontmen
  • The Road to Woodstock
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
  • Not Dead and Not for Sale
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • This Is Gonna Hurt: Music, Photography, And Life Through The Distorted Lens Of Nikki Sixx
  • Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney
  • Pink Floyd and Philosophy: Careful with that Axiom, Eugene!
Jon Bon Jovi (born John Francis Bongiovi, Jr.; March 2, 1962) is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and actor, best known as the founder, occasional rhythm guitarist, and lead singer of rock band Bon Jovi, which was named after him. During his career, he has released two solo albums and eleven studio albums with his band, which to date have sold over 130 million albums worldwide. Тhe band w ...more
“When I was twenty-five, “Bad Name” was the shit. We were in the mall. We had that hair and those clothes. It was real. That was us, then. But I couldn’t do that today. I don’t think we could sit down to write “You Give Love A Bad Name” again. It would be crafting and it wouldn’t resonate.” 3 likes
“JON: With the New Jersey record, I refused to have anyone think all this was luck. We wanted to show that with the first two records there was something there, and even though the third one did pay off—big time—I was going to keep fighting to make sure you knew I could do this again and again and again. We weren’t going to be a one-hit wonder. There” 1 likes