Start by marking “Counsels and Maxims From The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer” as Want to Read:
Counsels and Maxims From The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer

Counsels and Maxims From The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer

Collected here, are five short essays, General Rules, Our Relation to Ourselves, Our Relation to Others, Worldly Fortune, and, The Ages of Life, by the world renowned philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer.
Published January 5th 2009 by Wilder Publications (first published 1851)

Be the first to ask a question about Counsels and Maxims From The Essays of Arthur Schopenhauer

Jovana Vesper
Iskreno, neumesno mi je da komentarišem knjigu koja je pisana za muškarce! Malo da se našalim pa da se zapitam mogu li je shvatiti i jesam li dostojna ovih misli?
Sudeći po Šopenhaueru - donekle, ipak kaže on tu negde da dete od oca nasleđuje srčanost a od majke pamet, a sudeći po momku koji mi je poklonio ovu knjigu leta 2014-e kad smo zajedno rovarili po starim knjigama u ulici 1300 kaplara bila je prava stvar za mene. I eto, momak, ja je pročitah sad a da sam onda, bi li mi nešto značila? Ne v
Nick Klagge
I picked this up (free from Project Gutenberg) because it was mentioned as a reference related to Stoicism by William Irvine, the author of "A Guide to the Good Life." It certainly is that, but as much as I like some of the classical Stoic authors, I couldn't get behind Schopenhauer.

It's funny because of his message is in many ways so similar to that espoused by the classical authors: the key to happiness is the achievement of tranquility, and many of the things held in high esteem by society (r
arg/machine
Feb 11, 2012 arg/machine rated it really liked it
More classic essays from Schopenhauer. In the public domain, with a free electronic copy here.
Public_enemy
Jun 19, 2011 Public_enemy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those prefering "philosophy of the hammer"
Shelves: philosophy
Short and highly enjoyable book. Schopenhauer's philosophy I call "philosophy of the hammer". He's funny, he's brutal, he's showing things the way they are... in this miserable world. Plenty of us would like to "disappear", but it's easier to say it than to do it. Schopenhauer is giving us counsels how to ease our "staying". So, it's not pessimistic all the way, because A. S. is actually giving us counsels, defensive ones, though, how to fight miseries in this irrational world. Schop's writings ...more
Al Maki
Oct 13, 2016 Al Maki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thinking
On the one hand, it contains some good practical advice for thin skinned introverts. On the other hand it seemed long on angry disenchantment and short on kindness.
Despite his claim to be free of the metaphysical mumbo jumbo of his contemporaries it seemed to me to be predicated on the existence of a Will that manifests itself through Time.
Cameron
Jan 15, 2012 Cameron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schopenhauer, like Nietzsche, philosophizes with a hammer and this collection of hard-nosed essays is no exception. These essays in particular are written in the vein of the early Stoics, as prescriptive manuals for a purposeful existence. Required reading for the examined life.
Erica Beardsley
An interesting point of view. I found myself agreeing with Schopenhauer more than I thought I would. I have yet to decide if that's a good thing, a bad thing, or neither.
Andy
Andy rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2012
Nihil Reich
Nihil Reich rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Nick Buchny
Nick Buchny rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Eni
Eni rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Milica
Milica rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2015
Haikuist
Haikuist rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Kaiwoo
Kaiwoo rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2014
Michael Kalb
Michael Kalb rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Виолетта Ким
Виолетта Ким rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Shujaat
Shujaat rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Kris Donovski
Kris Donovski rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
J
J rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
John Walton
John Walton rated it it was amazing
Mar 12, 2016
Flavius Soneriu
Flavius Soneriu rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2014
John Scarborough
John Scarborough rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Onyango Makagutu
Apr 17, 2013 Onyango Makagutu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read
Songbird
Songbird rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2015
darknefik
darknefik rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2014
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
May 23, 2012
Ekorekhova
Ekorekhova rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2016
Joshua Hutchinson
Joshua Hutchinson rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Representing and Intervening: Introductory Topics in the Philosophy of Natural Science
  • Counterfactuals
  • Reason and Responsibility: Readings in Some Basic Problems of Philosophy
  • The Relevance of the Beautiful and Other Essays
  • Writings, 1878-1899
  • The Essential Peirce: Selected Philosophical Writings Volume 1: 1867-1893
Arthur Schopenhauer was a German philosopher best known for his work The World as Will and Representation. Schopenhauer attempted to make his career as an academic by correcting and expanding Immanuel Kant's philosophy concerning the way in which we experience the world.

More about Arthur Schopenhauer...

“Buying books would be a good thing if one could also buy the time to read them; but as a rule the purchase of books is mistaken for the appropriation of their contents.” 99 likes
“Each day is a little life: every waking and rising a little birth, every fresh morning a little youth, every going to rest and sleep a little death.” 17 likes