Start by marking “Reginald” as Want to Read:
Reginald

Reginald

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
"People may say what they like about the decay of Christianity; the religious system that produced green Chartreuse can never really die." -- Saki

Saki was the pen name of British author Hector Hugh Munro, a witty, often macabre author who wrote an appreciative novel of the German conquest of England an then (in his forties, mind you!) signed up to die on the Belgian front
Published December 1st 2006 by Aegypan (first published 1904)

To ask other readers questions about Reginald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reginald

Glenn Russell
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Lesson to last a lifetime - never put pressure on an aesthete or lover of books or someone with highly refined taste to attend a social occasion filled with idle chit-chat. It will not work as the narrator of this delightfully hilarious Saki tale finds out the hard way. And keeping in the spirit of this snapping Saki shorty and as something of a bonus (I hope), I have included my own microfiction beneath the illustration of those two Victorian gentlemen. Bon appétit.

REGINALD
I did it–I who shoul
Rose
Sep 07, 2009 added it
Shelves: 2009, fiction
I love Munro. His skill with the eminently quotable epigrams and pearls of wisdom effortlessly embedded in his stories makes me surprised that he seems to receive less attention for them than Oscar Wilde does for his. In this book, some of my favourites included:

"Trouble is not one of those fancies you can take up and drop at any moment; it's like a grouse-moor or the opium-habit--once you start it you've got to keep it up."

"To my mind, education is an absurdly over-rated affair. At least, one n
Eleanor
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-books, humour
Just like a perfect soufflé - light and utterly delicious. Very reminiscent of Oscar Wilde:

"Reginald had left the selection of a feeding-ground to her womanly intuition, but he chose the wine himself, knowing that womanly intuition stops short at claret. A woman will cheerfully choose husbands for her less attractive friends, or take sides in a political controversy without the least knowledge of the issues involved - but no woman ever cheerfully chose a claret." ("Reginald at the Carlton")

and:

"
Leslie
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found these short stories, which are very short by the way, very amusing but very British turn-of-the-century (meaning the early 1900s not the early 2000s!!). Those readers not familiar with this period might not understand what is so funny about them.

However, I think that if you like the humor of Oscar Wilde, it would be worth trying some of Saki's short stories.
Scott
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1900s, edwardian, humor
Elegant, urbane, and effete, with a surprising streak of cruelty, Reginald is a perfect antidote to Baden Powell's Boy Scouts ... or maybe the raison d'etre for the whole youth movement. Reginald exercises his snarky wit against the foibles of Edwardian England's upper crust, at the expense of capitalists, imperialists, and the poor lads in the choir. If you like Wilde's brilliant repartee, or Wodehouse's cheeky Psmith, or the nearly sadistic tone of Hilaire Belloc's Cautionary Tales for Childr ...more
Diane
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
A funny, often anarchic collections of short fiction about Reginald, a mischievous young man who delights in causing trouble, especially for older, more conservative members of society. The narrator of "Reginald" states:

"I did it — I who should have known better.  I persuaded Reginald to go to the McKillops’ garden-party against his will.

We all make mistakes occasionally."

That's a bit of understatement, considering Reginald's behavior at the party.

Then there's the attempt of the vicar's daughte
H. P. Reed
Reginald is Bertie Wooster with edge. Lots of edge. Or perhaps he's actually a cat in human form. Yes, admirer of felines though I am, they are, like Reginald, lackadaisical and selfish to an almost virtuous degree. There's no desire to please in Reginald, no wish to keep the peace. He is focused on only one issue: the care and feeding of Reginald. I wouldn't want to meet him in the preciously dressed flesh but Saki's Bright Young Thing is fun to follow in this book. He says things normal people ...more
Rishit
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very nice collection of short stories by the famed writer of the 90's Hector Hugh Munro(Saki). The book's based on a young man Reginald.
The book's really fun to read and is very gripping. It's a very light read.
Mo
I read these short stories off and on over the past month. They brought to mind a quote by Oscar Wilde:

description
Zarevich Victor
Al entender que Reginald es un “dandy” de la aristocracia británica, siempre burlándose de la sociedad y las costumbres en las que vive hace bastante amena la lectura. Historias cortas por momentos contadas en primera persona, en otros contadas por algún amigo de Reginald deja en evidencia la forma prejuiciosa y recatada de la sociedad británica. Haría falta leerlo en su idioma original para entender gran parte de los chistes que se han perdido en la traducción. Sin embargo, cuenta con grandes m ...more
Heidi
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Please note: This is the short story and not the book by Saki.

I will not talk about the plot in detail because I do not want to ruin the story for those
who have not yet read it.

I have read most of the short stories written by Saki--as far as I can tell he wrote
a total of 136 short stories.

This is really one of his better short stories. Considering that I believe that
it is the first one that he wrote, that is not too surprising.

Shoshi
When I began, I wasn't sure what to make of it - in pops a fully formed chatacter with whom I was not familiar, engaging with a set of other characters described in a fashion which suggested I had popped in following the 1st act. Perhaps I did.
At any rate, the style witty and droll. Quite a bit of fun once I became familiar.
Rachel Stevenson
Dec 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The missing link between Oscar Wilde and P.G. Wodehouse, this collection is less an assortment of short stories and more a selection of epigrams, but they are no less witty and incisive for that. The best was about the death of a prized peacock (somewhat funnier than it sounds).
Börkur Sigurbjörnsson
I can imagine it is satiric, but I lack knowledge of English upper class society to fully appreciate it.
Sherilyn
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: free-eee, audio
I prefer P.G.Wodehouse.
Bhan13
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A familiarity with Edwardian England and Victorian literature increases enjoyment of this book *a lot* because of the constant references, I am reading this aloud to others and sometimes we're laughing so hard we're crying. We all adore Reginald although he is so terrible it would be hard to have him in the house.

It's hard to pick just a few epigrams because Munro is such a master, I wish I could just copy out 'Reginald on House-Parties' and 'Reginald's Peace Poem' in their entirety.

........

Wald
David Osuna
Probablemente no haya caído en mis manos en el mejor momento, y debo decir que apenas ha conseguido arrancarme algunas sonrisas. Guardaba un gran recuerdo de "Animales y más que animales" y Reginald no ha llegado a divertirme tanto. Se reconoce la fina ironía y el ataque frontal a las convenciones victorianas desde su reducción al absurdo.
La imagen de un coro infantil desfilando por el pueblo, vestidos con pañuelos de lunares y tocando la flauta me sirve para corroborar la presencia de Saki en e
Dione Basseri
Irreverence in line with "The Importance of Being Earnest," or, honestly, lots of early 20th century plays! Reginald is built of nothing but vice and cleverness, and he can talk around you so much that you become certain said vice is only the highest of virtues. The absurdities pile up with each story, but they all stand on their own, so feel to read this out of order, if you please.

Saki has some of the best punchlines of any writer I've ever seen. This being my particular favorite: "She leaned
Letty
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection of short stories, or rather sketches, is an entertaining read, very Wilde-like in its biting humour satirizing the upper-class society of pre-WWI London. Yet, the light tone can be quite deceiving as hints at the looming war and international conflicts permeate the stories (the second Boer war, the situation in the Balkans and France are evoked), which may be explained by the fact Saki (a.k.a Hector Hugh Munro) spent the first decade of the 20th century as a foreign correspondent ...more
Terence Manleigh
Side-splitting. Reginald, should he have consented to do such an unlikely thing as procreate, might have sired Evelyn Waugh's divine Anthony Blanche. These stories are really not stories so much as a continuous monologue, a frame from which to hang dazzling epigrammatical baubles, but it doesn't matter. Par exemple: "Youth should suggest innocence, but never act on the suggestion." Wickedly funny.
Iletrado
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Lectura entretenida, divertida. Reginald es uno de esos personajes que adoramos por su pose, su donaire. Las historietas que ofrece Saki (pseudónimo de Hector Hugh Munro), destilan esa fina ironía, sutil, del humor británico que tanto admiro, donde el sarcasmo y lo mordaz están a la orden del día. Reírse de uno mismo y de su época creando polémica, escandalizando, pero con gran inteligencia. Amenos relatos.
Cassandra
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Brief humorous sketches, many of them the sort of monologues that an Edwardian stand-up comedian would have delivered had there been such a thing -- well, I suppose there were music hall numbers, but I am thinking more of an 1890s Eddie Izzard. I enjoyed this very much for what it is and will eventually read more, but a little arch snobbery goes a long way.
Rodney
Reginald waxes lyrical about life, in conversational snippets and short essay form. As far as I can tell, his purpose is to run counter to and undermine some of the stiffer social mores of the Age. These short stories would be a delightful read if sprinkled through Saki's meatier works, rather than read all at once, as I did; as it is, Reginald comes off as a bit flippant.
Marts  (Thinker)
Apr 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Saki fans
Shelves: classics
I can guarantee that Saki will have you laughing, this collection of tales, Reginald, is definitely a boredom breaker. Follow Reginald as he attends a garden party and goes to the theatre, hear his views on christmas presents, worries, house parties; and hey he even writes a peace poem.

Aaron
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This collection of short stories are highly satirical, and very critical of social norms deemed proper. It is absolutely hilarious. I can't believe it was written over a hundred years ago. The sarcasm and wit is extremely thick, and if I had a fantastic memory for clever quotes, I would have memorized the entire collection.
Timothy Ferguson
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Reginald is a bit weak. Basically Saki keeps the eponymous hero around, and central to the stories, so he comes off like a discount Oscar Wilde. In other collections, he lets his destructive impulses have free reign and just destroys his characters.
Hal Brodsky
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Reading this book I had a similar experience to when I have read a turn of the century edition of PUNCH: There were some funny lines mixed among many vague references that I am sure were hilarious punchlines in their day (at least to Brits), but I did not get them.
Droid
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Here's a man who deserved greater fame. Genius!
James
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Librivox.org podcast. Witty slice of Edwardian England. At times Munro is spot on in his observations.
  • Tales of St. Austin's (School Stories, #3)
  • The Darling and Other Stories (The Tales of Chekhov, Vol 1)
  • The Duke's Daughter
  • The Abandoned Room
  • The Vicar's Daughter
  • Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm
  • Kai Lung's Golden Hours (Kai Lung #2)
  • The Long Divorce (Gervase Fen, #8)
  • Appleby's End  (Sir John Appleby, #10)
  • The Heir of Redclyffe
  • Feeding The Mind (Collected Works Of Lewis Carroll)
  • Dorothy Parker Stories
  • The Mark of the Beast and Other Horror Tales (Dover Horror Classics)
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
Hector Hugh Munro, better known by the pen name Saki, was born in Akyab, Burma (now known as Sittwe, Myanmar), was a British writer, whose witty and sometimes macabre stories satirized Edwardian society and culture. He is considered a master of the short story and is often compared to O. Henry and Dorothy Parker. His tales feature delicately drawn characters and finely judged narratives. "The Open ...more

Fiction Deals

$3.49 $0.99
  • The Daughters of Palatine Hill
  • A House for Happy Mothers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Poems (New Directions Paperbook)
    $11.95 $2.99
  • The Drowning Guard
  • Anathema
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Neverhome
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Sinner: A Paradise Novel (The Books of History Chronicles)
    $11.49 $3.99
  • A Promise of Hope (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #2)
  • 'Round Midnight: A Novel
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Ulterior Motives (Sun Coast Chronicles, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Midwife's Revolt (The Midwife Series, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Two-Family House
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Where Do I Go? (Yada Yada House of Hope, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bloodletter's Daughter
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Gift of Grace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • A Dream of Home (Hearts of the Lancaster Grand Hotel)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
  • Somewhere in France: A Novel of the Great War
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Skin
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Inamorata
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Life of Joy (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #4)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
    $11.99 $11.99
  • Cometh the Hour (The Clifton Chronicles #6)
  • The Question of Red
  • A.D. 30 (A.D., #1)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Karolina's Twins: A Novel
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Illuminati: Roundtable of the Bosses (The Cartel #7)
  • The 158-Pound Marriage
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • A Season of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Curtain of Green: and Other Stories (Harvest/HBJ Book)
  • Three Times Lucky
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Small Rain: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Homeland (Crown Family Saga, #1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Last Kingdom (The Saxon Stories, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
  • Echoes of Family
    $4.99 $1.99
“The young have aspirations that never come to pass, the old have reminiscences of what never happened.” 92 likes
“To be clever in the afternoon argues that one is dining nowhere in the evening.” 23 likes