Start by marking “Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature” as Want to Read:
Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature

Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature

Awareness! Belonging! Connection! Speaking directly to these needs, Coyote's Guide sparks our natural gift of curiosity. At eight or forty-eight, when the power of mystery pulls us into nature, we follow. Think of these personal rewards: the excitement of discovery, real connection with animals and plants, and a sense of belonging through knowing our place on the planet. W ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Owllink Media (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature

Anthony
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012, nature
A great book that's essentially a must-read for anyone working in outdoor education/nature connection, especially for those who will be working primarily with kids.

I'm currently an apprentice at a school in the Tracker–Wilderness Awareness School lineage. Really only being a few years into my own personal journey of nature connection, it sometimes feels kind of strange to be helping/mentoring kids along in theirs. Sometimes I feel ... unqualified. Reading through Coyote's Guide, however, was a p
Holly Lyon
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
What I read of this book was really motivational and inspiring. I love that we have a growing movement to keep kids connected with the world in which they live, and these writers provide wonderful insight to how we can facilitate that. However, since I stopped working with children last year, I haven't found the motivation to continue reading. This text contains valuable information as well as stories and ideas, and maybe one day I will pick it back up. For now, I'm keeping it on the shelf.
Janet Staal
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough about this book: it is life-changing! It totally changed my outlook on how I "teach" outdoors. I have a degree in elementary education with an emphasis in science and math education and have years of experience teaching both in schools and through a nature center. This book should be a fundamental support and guide for all schools, naturalists and families! Comprehensive, thorough, wise and beautifully written and organized. The beginning of the book provides background inform ...more
Leslie
Mar 05, 2011 is currently reading it
I'm seeping through the pages of this book, absorbing the wisdom and intention of experienced naturalists. It's reading about work, but it doesn't feel like reading about work, because it's every bit as enriching to my own encounters with the natural world and way of looking at things as it is to my lesson plans and interactions with kids.
Jonathan Angelilli
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Truly awesome book.

How to help kids and adults alike discover their real power and humanity through Nature connection, fun exercises, and powerful Native American perspectives and wisdom.

Highly recommended for all human beings.

A complete anti-dote to our failing educational system. Seriously.
Lekeshua
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
A breath of fresh air. Not only does Coyote's Guide to Connecting with Nature build on the philosophy Louv's Last Child in the Woods but it also helps guide us with activities to implement the philosophy. Following the Coyote isn't something we should fear. It is the way to awakening us to a world that we have lost sight of. I recommend this book to everyone.
Kelly
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has changed my life. We use it every week for our homeschool nature group. The principals are so empowering and really work. It is the by far the best education book I have ever read.
Mark Wagnon
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Evolutionary Book
Bridget Alexander
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Pick it up all the time for new inspiration. I've used it with scouts to guide urban kids toward a connection with nature. Used the games and wisdom to enliven a camping trip or paddle with moments of presence and meaning. It truly has the vibe of the life's work of someone passionate about reconnecting adults and child to the wild. Never unbearable or preachy or intimidating in its tone, but playful and coaxing. It makes burying oneself in the wild of the world feel very possi ...more
Miriam Grinshtein Eber
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the ideas in this book. It's not one of those books you want to read cover to cover. Each time I pick it up to read for a few minutes or get some ideas, I am inspired to take the kids outside and explore. We have cultivated one lovely habit for which the book is worth at least looking at, perhaps not owning, which is the idea of a "sit spot". My children have their sit spots where they like to go to for calm and centering and I think this is an invaluable tool for me too!
Virginia
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This is meant to be a bible for people who want to introduce children to nature in a specific way and though I appreciate much of it--the general tone and premise is too precious even though that is exactly what the writers intend. I much prefer Rachel Carson's "The Sense is Wonder" which is far more direct and less pretentious.

I guess it would be a good compendium for anyone who is a complete stranger to nature writings, but I am not that audience.

Jessica Pendez
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is meant to be encyclopedic in that you read bits and pieces rather than front to back. It's been by my bed for months now and I'm going to return it to my friend and buy my own copy for future inspirations.
Rebecca
Jan 25, 2015 rated it liked it
It is a good book for explaining and giving teaching advice, however it is extremely repetitive.
Amy
Aug 10, 2010 is currently reading it
A modified version of one of the activities in this book rescued the second half of a 3.5 mile hike with our 5 year olds!
Heidi
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book on how to discover nature no matter what type of environment (suburb, urban, rural) you live in. Must read for parents and parents to be.
Sep 22, 2011 marked it as considering
Dec 26, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Ecological Literacy: Educating Our Children for a Sustainable World
  • Tracking and the Art of Seeing: How to Read Animal Tracks and Sign
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
  • Web of Life: Weaving the Values That Sustain Us
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Keeping a Nature Journal: Discover a Whole New Way of Seeing the World Around You
  • The Singing Wilderness
  • The Geography of Childhood
  • Earth in Mind: On Education, Environment, and the Human Prospect
  • The Forgotten Pollinators
  • Voice of the Earth: An Exploration of Ecopsychology
  • Hawke's Green Beret Survival Manual: Essential Strategies For: Shelter and Water, Food and Fire, Tools and Medicine, Navigation and Signaling, Survival Psychology and Getting Out Alive!
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Sense of Wonder
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature
  • Nature and the Human Soul: Cultivating Wholeness and Community in a Fragmented World
  • The Wolf's Tooth: Keystone Predators, Trophic Cascades, and Biodiversity
Jon Young is on the leading edge of animal tracking and understanding bird language. He has been exploring animal communication for 35 years and was mentored by the famous tracker Tom Brown Jr. as well as a tribal elder in Africa. Jon developed the 8 Shields Cultural Mentoring System, a model that has influenced more than 100 nature programs in communities in the U.S., Canada, and Europe and is al ...more