Start by marking “The Lion's Eye: Seeing in the Wild” as Want to Read:
The Lion's Eye: Seeing in the Wild

The Lion's Eye: Seeing in the Wild

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating details ·  25 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Joanna Greenfield dreamed of traveling to East Africa to study one of the last known populations of wild chimpanzees. When she was offered a once-in-a-lifetime chance, the young student set off from peaceful Kenya into politically hazardous Uganda. From there, a small team of guides led her into the mountains.

In stunningly evocative language, Greenfield depicts the beauty
Published August 31st 2009 by Little, Brown and Company (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion's Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion's Eye

Meri
Sep 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Joanna Greenfield's memoir of the months she spent in Kenya and Uganda in 1983 was absorbing and insightful for a number of reasons. She gives a concise overview of the history of animal behaviorists as well as some of the fundamentals of the discipline. More importantly (to me, at least), she provides some philosophical depth, punctuated with facts about transcendentalists, through musings about man’s relationship to nature. She could almost be a new Thoreau or Wordsworth. Almost. What I didn’t ...more
Lindsey Wallis
Dec 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Just not a very good read. The topic matter should make this a fabulous book but I just can't feel any empathy for her character or rally understand what it was like to be there. The writing seems stilted at times, maudlin at others and she is clearly trying to tie something in with her lack of depth perception...it doesn't work.
Sarah S
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
Despite this being a memoir about a seemingly intelligent and driven woman, she... wasn't. Fast read because it's so easy to skim.
Jenni
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
The writing is beautiful, evoking images that stay with the reader long after the book is set aside. I enjoyed the memoir, but felt it was rushed at the end and should have ended earlier when her initial trip to Africa was over. The chapters on everything that happened after that are important, but I didn't feel we had enough information at the end about the second trip to Africa and why it ended the way it did. That may be another story for a follow-up memoir at some point. :)

The descriptions o
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought this book was boring and I didn't like the style. I don't know why -- but it just didn't appeal to me. Maybe it was the fact that her eye issues seemed easily solved by glasses and I didn't understand why she spent twenty plus years going around not being able to see properly. If there was a good reason she should have explained it. I only read a couple of chapters. Her eye issue seemed to be foundational to the book so she should have made an effort to explain it thoroughly and be aut ...more
Ashley
May 12, 2016 marked it as to-read
#
NC
Own in paperback.

FS: "In the dark leaves of the rain forest, we evolved from the ancestral tree shrew."

LS: "The savanna is still too bright to look at, but perhaps, if I can hold the good eye closed, in the whirling haze of the other eye, I will see lions."
Chris Gorsend
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Poetic without pretense, this memoir is both thoughtful and propulsive, calmly urging you from chapter to chapter on a vibrant and captivating tour of Africa.
Rivka Cymbalist
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reading this for the second time and her beautiful writing and interesting vision emerge where they didn't the first time around
Cora-Lynn Botly
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
I started this book and put it down about half way through. I did pick it up again and finished the second half faster than the first. I did enjoy it overall but it was a forced read to start.
M.
Mar 23, 2015
Linda S.
Jan 25, 2010
Katy Jean
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2012