Start by marking “Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy” as Want to Read:
Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy

Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy

The only book on Sitting Bull written by a lineal descendant

Ernie LaPointe is the great -grandson of the famous Hunkpapa Lakota chief, and he presents the family tales and memories told to him about his great-grandfather. In many ways the oral history differs from what has become the standard and widely accepted biography of Sitting Bull. LaPointe explains the discrepanci
Published September 1st 2009 by Gibbs Smith (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sitting Bull, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sitting Bull

Start your review of Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy
Jbondandrews
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It was a very informative read of Sitting Bull, his life and legacy and I am very happy to know that his great grandson was able to tell his story. I hope that Mr LaPointe has all his hopes with his famous ancestor fulfilled.
Michael Gerald
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great narrative of the life of the Native American hero from the perspective of one of his lineal descendants, his great grandson.
Greg
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the personal perspective of the author, this biography feels intensely vivid. The life and death of Sitting Bull was both inspirational and uniquely sad. I recommend this book, especially since the Lakota Souix settlement of Standing Rock is a reminder that the struggle for existence of the Native Americans continues.
Yasmin
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Here at last is the true story of Sitting Bull. Books about him with sources of men like Stanley Vestal are all false and based on fabrication. Stanley Vestal had a story to write and it didn't matter whether anything was accurate or not. When he interviewed a relative of Sitting Bull, by the name of One Bull, that man was not a direct relation and further more was the man to betray Sitting Bull. He was the direct cause of Sitting Bull and companions murders. It is a very short book, can much be ...more
Lorena
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can read all the books you want about Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, but if you don't include in that list accounts written by indigenous authors from the same culture, you will miss the point of their lives. Just as Joseph M. Marshall's book "The Journey of Crazy Horse: A Lakota History" reveals the origins and cultural context of this great Native American warrior, so Ernie LaPointe's book adds flesh and blood to a powerful but remote icon who symbolizes heroic resistance against the inevit ...more
Jan
Aug 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, own-copy
The great grandson of Sitting Bull endeavored to turn Lakota oral history into a written history and to also have the truth be known about his great grandfather. A written narrative was different as many Lakota words do not translate into English. "Sitting Bull" as Tatanka Iyotake was called should have translated into Buffalo Bull Who Sits Down. A compelling history of this famous man are the essence of the oral histories told to Ernie and explain the discrepancies in his grandfather's life and ...more
Sharon
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
not your average biography very easy read that flowed, and a truthful by a direct descendant of Sitting Bull. i learned a lot and appreciate the author and his aancestry and culture even more so now.
Joe Keefhaver
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very short, interesting book written by Sitting Bull's great-grandson. While it is based on stories that were handed down within the family, I didn't find much material that was that new or insightful. Sitting Bull was a gifted leader who did what he could for his people, both in war and in peace. Had he been a white man, there is no telling how far he could have gone. But the defeat and despair the Lakota faced caused jealousies and divisions to fester within the tribe. In the end, ma ...more
Ernest Solar
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sitting Bull: His Life and Legacy by his great-grandson Ernie LaPointe was a wonderful read. LaPointe provided a different point of view of the life and troubling times that Tatanka Iyotake endured throughout his life. The family stories LaPointe shared were compassionate and moving. It was evident throughout the book that LaPointe deeply respects his great-grandfather’s legacy and wisdom. Tatanka Iyotake was a humble, wise leader for his Lakota people and the author of this book portrays these ...more
Krokki
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the true account of Tatanka Iyotake (Buffalo Bull Sitting Down, as his name really means) and his life, beautifully told by his closest living relative; Ernie LaPointe.

The book itself, at least the edition I got, is a collectors item in itself. It is cut in some rough paper-material. I dunno, hemp maybe? Anyway, its a great little treasure this one.
Martin Micek
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is very valuable for its content of oral history about Tatanka Iyotake and his genealogy.
It offers a good look into the Lakota society in transition period from free people of the plains to the reservation people, many broken by their adoption of white culture and religion.
Kt
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed it, but if you know nothing about Sitting Bull this is not a book you will enjoy. Ernie tells the story in the traditional oral way. Each chapter reveals a different story about his great grandfather from the family's point of view. If you have read nothing about Sitting Bull, it would feel disjointed. If you have, it helps you understand some of the things that he did. I listened to Ernie LaPointe at Ft Buford on the 130th anniversary of Sitting Bull's "surrender". It was an expe ...more
Joe Holman
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding book written by Sitting Bull's Great Grandson. Ernie LaPointe is a personal friend. An American patriot who has courage, honor, and determination. This is a book that is truly worth reading if you want to know how Sitting Bull and his decendents have been treated by their tribe and the fight Ernie has made to restore Sitting Bull's legacy.
Jim Blessing
Jan 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
My nephew and niece got me this book for Christmas. They visited Little Bighorn this year and met the author Ernie LaPointe and get the autographed book. Ernie LaPoint is the great grandson of Tatanka Iyotake, also known as Sitting Bull. The book traces his life and is written in the tradition of oral history. It has many insights and is an excellent read.
Rich
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can't believe everything you have read, especially if it was from antagonistic sources. Ernie LaPointe is a great-grandson of Tatanka Iyotake ("Sitting Bull"), and sets the record straight with the family stories that don't match the records of One Bull, the nephew who betrayed Sitting Bull, who was a primary source for past "histories."
Sean Poole
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Ernie La Pointe is the direct lineal Great Grandson of Tatanka Iyotake, Sitting Bull. He tells the true oral history of his family and the Lakota people in this fascinating, very well researched book. It should be required reading in American History classes. Well worth the read!
Oct 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If I could add a few more stars, I would. This version of Sitting Bull's life has never been told before, and the pain and anger that his descendants still feel over his death comes through loud and clear.
Melody Nunez
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, and am glad I was able to get my hands on a copy. History can be so very skewed in the re-telling, so I was glad to hear stories about Sitting Bull from one of his relatives...
Mary
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I heard the name Ernie LaPointe years ago. Then I heard him recently on a radio broadcast of "On Being." I was very impressed by Sitting Bull (Tatanka Iyotake)and am glad I learned more about him.
Larry Hardison