Start by marking “Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan that Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America” as Want to Read:

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  406 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan That Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America
Published February 6th 2001 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about Reagan, In His Own Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reagan, In His Own Hand

Jim
Jun 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Throughout my life, almost all of my friends have been liberals, and if they were politically inclined at all, liberal Democrats. I remember well how so many people were shocked at the "lack of qualifications" for the presidency Reagan was supposed to have exhibited, forgetting that he was a two-term governor of the nation's most populous state. He was often thought of as an easy-going dunce, and it's certainly true that he took much of the nation by surprise when he won the presidency in 1980. ...more
Nooilforpacifists
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: american-history
This book consists of largely Reagan's 1970s radio scripts, found written in his own hand on stacks of legal paper--this was pre Peggy Noonan. Back then, he had a 3 minute spot to talk about any topic of his choice.

It is impossible to read this book and not realize that Reagan was exceedingly well informed, highly intelligent and a good thinker. Once more, he had a component of intelligence so lacking in other politicians (say Jimmy Carter): he could summarize the important matters for his audie
Michelle
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I learned what a true conservative's views are. He was authentic and true passionate and optimistic. He was the best president in my generation.
Elise
Apr 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic insight on this great American. It is very easy to read and enjoy watching his reasoning abilities.
Ced Crawley
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ronald Reagan was a man of principles, feeling, and understanding. He believed in the rights of all men as inherently given by the Creator, just as the Founding Fathers of America articulated in the Declaration statement.

In this collection of writings by the late POTUS, one sees clearly the reflection of Reagan's deeply thought-out ideas and further, the deeply held convictions which were the root and core of those ideas.

As a person who watched Reagan in office as a young boy, and whom especial
Jon Angell
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2015
As one of my reading goals this year I wanted to read a book of at least 500 pages, and this is it. I am so glad I choose this one as it was packed with so much good an varied content that it was worth the extra time and effort. My biggest regret is not taking the time to take notes and mark the book as I went through it.

I had an admiration and respect for President Reagan before I started this book. The book clearly explained Reagan's policy positions, thinking, thought processes and an insigh
Marilyn Hartl
Jun 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable collection of writings by a guy who changed the way of thinking of many former democrats. Seeing the hand-written notes of one of the nation's finest leaders is an inspiring thing...knowing that he wrote so much of his own material gives one assurance that his leadership was from the heart, and that his wisdom as expressed to the nation was his own. We are fortunate that he wrote in longhand...there won't be records of this sort for future leaders...the digital age has ended this so ...more
Jane Cook
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love a great original source and this is an insight one on Ronald Reagan.
Jonny Gomez
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read. Saw a lot of these speeches and essays in the Reagan Library itself in Simi Valley.
Jeff
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone, democrat or republican, who cares about political ideals
This is a collection of radio chats written by Reagan himself, not a chronological book with a narrative. However, it is truly an amazing work, almost like a bible of Regan's political beliefs spelled out by himself. Each essay is only one to two pages on average and clearly labeled so it is great to pick-up, flip through to a topic that interests you, and read for a few minutes. It truly reveals a man who, while widely considered popular, was also thought by many to not be too smart (forgetting ...more
Kristen
Nov 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I actually haven't finished this book because I only get to it every few months or so. It's a collection of Ronald Reagan's radio addresses in the years before he became president. They explain his vision of the world and his policies. I'm a huge fan of RR and every now and then, when I'm so frustrated with the current state of the union, I'll pick up the book and read pure common sense and wisdom. Very refreshing. I think that's why I'm taking so long to finish this book. I'm savoring it slowly ...more
Chris Henn
Feb 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
To anyone interested in the thinking behind the thinking of our 40th President, this is a must read. Written as short radio commentaries he delivered from 1975-1979, these policy statements form the bedrock of his Presidency. George Schultz once commented "He knows so little and accomplishes so much." This book reveals the true Reagan genius that went beyond his title as the "Great Communicator".....
Nick S
May 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book explained his life on how he lived before his political lifestyle. Where he was born and how he got into politics, also he alsmost lived a century, before politics he was an actor. Also Star Wars was introduced at this time and created into a movie also had to do with the cold war that he helped stop.
Christopher
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want a lesson on what it means to be a conservative, then read this book. This is a collection of the notes of The Gipper's radio speeches when he was Governor. It outlines all his major beliefs in every political topic from foreign policy to Reaganomics.
Nathan
Aug 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
An excellent sketch of how Reagan viewed the world. This book provides great evidence that Reagan's vision while in office was his own; it was a vision he outlined during his radio addresses in the 70's.
Victoria
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is a good book. I like this book because it talks about his life. All of his accomplishments are remembered still today. He was a good man and stood for what he belived in. That is why I like this book and I give this book a 5 stars.
Daniel Chase
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very Eye Opening And Entertaining

This book offers a lot if eye opening experiences and insights about Ronald Reagan and his political beliefs and the times he lived in. It was also very entertaining.

R2
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
audio book - They don't call him the great communicator for nothing. Whether you agree with conservatism or not, Reagen is a giant who told it like it is. His heart aligns with his purpose. Highly recommended.
Anthony O'Brian
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-reads
Reagan wasn't just a politician spouting what he felt the masses wanted to hear or what would make him popular...he believed every word! These speeches, letters, and radio addresses came way before he even thought about the Presidency or Governorship.

A MUST READ!
Mark
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
Very insightful for those who wanted to know more about the man behind the legend. This book outlines almost every side Reagan took during his political, from the Economy and Foreign Policy, to Social Issues and Education. Must read for anyone wanting to know more about good ol' RR.
Joe Martin
Apr 17, 2010 marked it as have-unread  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
"Reagan, In His Own Hand: The Writings of Ronald Reagan that Reveal His Revolutionary Vision for America by George P. Shultz (2001)"
Josh Ayer
Explodes the myth of his supposed stupidity. You don't have to like the ideas but you will understand his lucid and well written point of view.
James Smith
Jeff
Mar 08, 2017
  • How Ronald Reagan Changed My Life
  • God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life
  • Reagan's War: The Epic Story of His Forty Year Struggle and Final Triumph Over Communism
  • Reagan: A Life in Letters