Start by marking “Parker's Astrology” as Want to Read:
Parker's Astrology

Parker's Astrology

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  507 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
A new edition of this universally acknowledged practical introduction to astrology for interested amateurs and budding professionals
If you are interested in the zodiac and astrology, let Derek and Julia Parker guide you through the stars and planetary activity.
You'll learn the basics of astrology, discover astrological techniques and join them as they take a look at th
Published August 1st 2009 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Parker's Astrology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parker's Astrology

Meredith Holley
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dangerous-hokum
A lot of astrology books are not my favorites because of their, I don’t know, odd sexism, prejudice against certain signs, or useless generalities (among other faults). I really like the Parker’s, though. I have a lot of nostalgia wrapped up in this book because of time spent going over it with friends. It’s been pretty trusty. I’m persuaded it was written by Geminis because, I mean, let’s be real, no one is this rah-rah about Geminis. Sorry, Geminis. You are my friends, but I’ve seen the kind o ...more
Shannon Cunningham
I grew up with this book on hand, learning all the basics of natal astrology through it. I believe it was this book that also taught my mom how to cast charts by hand.

It's an excellent, thoughtful, and thorough training manual for beginners. The best part, however, is that it never loses value, as it becomes a reliable reference for advanced students. I have my family's second hard cover copy on hand now, making it about 20 of the 25 years of my life I've used this book. ;)
Jonathan Martin
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being the first book I bought on astrology, proper, I owe a lot to the Parker's for such a detailed introduction to the astrological realm. It covers everything from what you'd expect to what you never knew about astrology, from detailed descriptions of the zodiac signs and planets to an impressive cookbook format of how to interpret planets in signs and houses and planetary aspects and angles. There's a whole section of how to calculate and draw up birth charts, as well as other types of charts ...more
Denise
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I gave this one 2 stars because I found the descriptions of the signs to be pretty stereotypical—maybe this was because the book was last published over 10 years ago. Hopefully the next "new edition" will be a bit more evolved without having to rely so much on oft-repeated things like: "Scorpios are intense, dark, and possessive," or "Virgos are overly-obsessed neat freaks who are most happy working as accountants or being worker bees," or "Aquarians are the lights of the world and the next best ...more
Shkna9
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

While this book covers a lot of info and is detail rich I experienced many issues when recreating their example charts. First off and the main problem: the calculations were often way off and the latitude/longitude for locations were not that accurate.
Some of the information for calculations were very confusing and not easy to follow.
I've been studying astrology for years. I would never recommend someone to cast their chart using the techniques in this book!
There are much better books on the m
Brian Collins
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astrology
This is a great book for those starting out in their exploration of astrology. Julia Parker has created a work of art with her illustrations. The content of the book itself is extremely useful, and for its size she has covered a huge area of astrology.
I enjoyed this book both as a beginner and now as an experienced astrologer still reference it, as the information is still current and meaningful.
Freda Mans-Labianca
This is the most detailed book on astrology I have read to date. It was complete with examples of birth charts and other useful things. There is a lifetime worth a reading for a lover in this field, but it is worthy information. Incredible details throughout, and I learned a lot from this book.
A fabulous read for any astrology enthusiast!
Brooke Corwin
The most comprehensive amount of information regarding the integration of astronomy and astrology that I have ever seen. I pick it up all the time to reference it, for pleasure reading, or to show my friends.
Megan
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. There's some major information in this book. I'll have to read it again. Highly recommended.
Matty
Dec 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: astrology
I read August '09 version (different cover). Blue section has real interesting explanations of the planet influences for the individual, because it's more in-depth.
Lynn Wilson
Mar 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent basic astrology book. It will familiarize you with the scientific and mythological aspects of this ancient art form, and it's a beautiful coffee table book to boot.
Angela
Jun 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly detailed
Catherine Handren
I understand all of you now.
Lynn
Jan 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, astrology
Nice reference book - complicated and requires multiple analysis
Magdaly Perdue
All in one reference for Astrology
Moog
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first astrology book... good for giving a taste.
Lorianne Sidhe
It still sits on my shelf.
Julia
This is book has been my astrology Bible for over ten years. My copy is increasingly worn, but much beloved.
Cindra
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The "always at my fingertips" go-to, quick reference for basic astrological info. On my 3rd copy. Used so often that they eventually fall apart.
Cassandra Thiesing
If you want to learn astrology in a very deep detail this book is for you. This book is not recommended for the beginner.
Sarah Jane
Aug 18, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
This book has SO MUCH information about the history and details of astrology, and even shows you how to draw our your own chart.
Amigas da Annika
Aug 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the most beautifully illustrated book! Though it is comprehensive, most of it is not intended for the novice astrologer. A great text book for the student of Astrology, though, and GORGEOUS!
Donna
Apr 24, 2012
  • The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need
  • The Astrologer's Handbook
  • The Twelve Houses: Introduction to the Houses in Astrological Interpretation
  • The New Astrology: A Unique Synthesis Of The World's Two Great Astrological Systems: The Chinese & Western
  • Saturn: A New Look at an Old Devil
  • Planets in Transit: Life Cycles for Living
  • Darkside Zodiac
  • Aspects in Astrology: A Guide to Understanding Planetary Relationships in the Horoscope
  • Born on a Rotten Day: Illuminating and Coping with the Dark Side of the Zodiac
  • The Only Way to Learn Astrology, Volume 1: Basic Principles
  • Astrology, Karma and Transformation: Inner Dimensions of the Birth Chart
  • Astrology for Yourself: How to Understand and Interpret Your Own Birth Chart: A Workbook for Personal Transformation
  • The Secret Language of Birthdays: Personology Profiles for Each Day of the Year
  • Astrology for the Soul
  • Linda Goodman's Love Signs: A New Approach to the Human Heart
  • Making the Gods Work for You: The Astrological Language of the Psyche
  • The Tarot Handbook
  • Pluto, Volume I: The Evolutionary Journey of the Soul (Llewellyn Modern Astrology Library)
Julia Parker (née Lethbridge) (b. 1932 in Plymouth, Devon) is an astrologer and author who, often in partnership with her husband Derek Parker, has written many popular and introductory books on astrology. (Source: Wikipedia)
More about Julia Parker