Start by marking “It Can Happen To You” as Want to Read:
It Can Happen To You

It Can Happen To You

3.19  ·  Rating details ·  62 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Penny Stevens is 40 years old, a murderer of garden plants, and married to the next Wilt Chamberlain of realty. This is not the life she imagined for herself, but it’s comfortable and good enough. Isn’t it? When an accidental good deed lands Penny in the paper, she becomes a local hero and catches the overzealous eye of the newspaper’s “life renovation” expert. Penny is th ...more
Published August 18th 2009 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about It Can Happen To You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Can Happen To You

Betty
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
A very unique style of writing in this debut novel. At first I had a feeling as though I were reading a screenplay, then thought it was more like a voice-over on a TV show for the blind. I will say I found it a bit unnerving originally, but the style remained consistent and I think it was important for the author to give the reader a feel for the character in the early part of the book in order to see the changes in her character later. For that alone, this reader felt a connection with Penny, t ...more
Lydia Laceby
Originally Reviewed at Novel Escapes

This was a delightful and heartwarming novel that had me laughing at loud. If you've ever been stuck in a rut you'll love this novel and if you're currently stuck and need some inspiration to help you move forward, this novel might just give you the kick in the butt you need. I loved the voice and felt it suited Penny's character and I couldn't wait to see what would happen next.

The first line in the 3rd chapter is now my favourite sentence from a chick lit b
Kimberly
Nov 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: beach-reads, canadian
At 40 years of age, Penny Stevens finds that she’s not happy with her life, but she fails to understand why. And then one fateful day, she performs a good deed on the spur of the moment, and her life suddenly veers into another direction. At first, she doesn’t want to take the journey at all, but after much prodding, she decides that she will embark on a life renovation.

Initially, she docilely follows the direction of all those involved in renovating her life, for better or worse. But slowly, sh
Ashley
Jun 04, 2012 rated it liked it
At first I wasn't too sure how I would feel about this novel -- the fact that it is written in present tense was a little bit jarring for me at first. But as I progressed through the book, I soon found that I didn't even notice the tense, and allowed myself to be carried along.

I feel like the narrative and plot finally finds its groove about halfway through the book, which is when it gets pretty funny, and when Penny finally "sees the light," so to speak. At this point, my review went up to 4 ou
Jennifer Whiteford
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This was light and fairly entertaining, but kind of like reading four or five novels all Frankensteined together. The pacing and the plot are both really bizarre and the ending didn't seem to connect to the rest of the book very well. Likeable characters, but many of them remained undeveloped as the book careened from plot to plot. Still, I read the whole thing and didn't dislike it, I just couldn't figure out why the author made the choices that she did.
Christy C
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
Danielle Langlois
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was an enjoyable easy read. I enjoyed the building up and going through Penny's journey but it went from 0-60 in end. I didn't get why the story took such a turn from how slow going it was in the first 2/3rds of it. I felt it took away my connection.
Laura Keep
This wash easy read that was enjoyable. And then it suddenly ended without much of a warning, and I wondered what it was I enjoyed about it. It was all build up, and no real follow through. But it was cute as a whole.
Carol
Sep 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
Written by a local North Vancouver author, it was an easy, fun read ... although not particularly outstanding. It was interesting to read a story set locally. I found it quirky, and imaginative ... a story of a woman finding herself.
Cheryl Pashlin
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Penny...a likable stuck in a rut woman. Having done a good deed she is chosen to "renovate her life" and renovate she does. I found the characters to be likable and the book a lot of fun.
Lynn Bornath
A woman takes part in a 'renovate your life' project for a local newspaper. A light, fun read with some giggle-worthy moments and some touching moments. Read the full review.
Lisa
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was lighthearted and hilarious. All the characters felt real, and Penny is heartwarming and fun. Haggis the dog is awesome. Crymble's writing style is clean and fresh, and she knows just how to rope the reader in. I read it on a flight and the time flew by.
Kaitlin
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Funny and pretty good.
Gillian
Sep 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was good. It was a very easy read. The ending is a happy one which is nice. Good dock read or vacation read. Did not take long to read.
Kira
Jun 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Fun but a little bizarre.
Wendy
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice, light read by a local author, which is refreshing. I enjoyed it very much.
Jen Morrison
May 24, 2011 rated it liked it
cute
Sanja
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2012