Start by marking “Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blue Bells of Scotland (Blue Bells Trilogy, #1)

Blue Bells of Scotland

(Blue Bells Chronicles #1)

Shawn has a skyrocketing musical career, fans, fame, money, his beautiful girlfriend Amy, and all the women he wants. Everything changes: Amy has enough and leaves him stranded in a Scottish castle tower overnight. He wakes up in medieval Scotland. Mistaken for the castle's future laird, he is forced to make a dangerous cross-country trek with a beautiful woman wielding a ...more
Published September 18th 2009 by Gabriel's Horn (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Bells of Scotland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Bells of Scotland

Abby
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Emily Baker
You know how "polite" people will sometimes couch criticism by closing their statement with "Bless their hearts"? Well, bless her heart, Laura Vosika tried real hard with BLUE BELLS OF SCOTLAND. She really did try and while some moments were truly outstanding, much of the book was a hot, angry, confused mess.

Brief plot summary: arrogant yet incredibly talented trombonist Shawn Kleiner and his orchestra are touring Scotland; while back in 1314, Niall Campbell, future Laird of Glemmirril, is prepa
Dorsi
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Original & intelligently written. Towards the end, I could not turn the pages fast enough to find out what happened. The end was definitely not what I expected. I can't wait until the next in the series comes out! I will be the first in line to get it. Thanks Laura Vosika for sharing your engaging story. Keep tapping those keys on the keyboard...carry on!
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
[Update 4/22/18 This ended up a five book series and one of my favorites EVER. Right up there with Outlander and The All Souls Trilogy! It did not start off as great as those did but it ended up on the same level for me! The hero was not one to fall in love with and his growth as a man developed through his long and amazing story as well as the stories of some other characters I will never forget. Three reads for this book for me and in a few months I will re-read the entire series again...]

[ Up
Pamelabyoung
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time travel, music and Inverness....my faves!

Gotta say, though, I really hate to get to the end of a book and find out it is the first of a series or a trilogy. Don't get me wrong, I love trilogies and series. I just prefer to know from the outset that I am at the beginning of a longer journey. Frankly, I hate being left hanging and would rather wait to buy a book until the entire trilogy is available so I can read them in quick succession. On the other hand, I can't really understand the whole
J.R. Tomlin
Mar 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
This novel starts a trilogy story surrounding two identical men in Scotland who are separated by 700 years.

I was a bit nervous in starting this novel because most novels, including some very popular ones, thoroughly muck up Scottish history. I hate that, particularly when it involves events as important as the Battle of Bannockburn. However, although I would nitpick the history somewhat, Vosika stuck close enough to the history that even I wasn't too bothered. Mind you, don't read it for history
Ambre
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
An obvious "tribute" to the other popular time travel authors, with a few minor twists.

I give it 3 for being fun to read. I subtracted 1 for major historical inaccuracy (clan tartans in 1300s? Really, you have to research EVERYTHING) and failure to discuss her historical research or variance from known fact. So as a pure fiction it gets a 3 (I thought the ending was confused and nonsensical) but as a historical fiction it gets a 2 for flubbing that major point, and underemphasizing the differenc
Sandy
Jan 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
A time-travel romance set in in Inverness...hmmm...what could that have possibly be inspired by? If you're looking for something like "Outlander" this is not it. I'm sorry I blew $2.00 on the Kindle version. I put it down after the opening two pages describing Shawn's seducing the engaged-to-someone-else receptionist by picking a rose from the vase on her desk and dragging it across her cheek. And then becoming the rock-star trombone player savior of the classical orchestra. Yes, this was the fi ...more
Micki
Jul 21, 2012 added it
the slowest book on the planet!!!
Loretta
This is a cracking book. There are some anachronisms, but the writing just picks you up and carries you away. I got lost in the story. Definitely worth a read. I'll be buying the rest in the series and saving them to read on my holiday. Except for book 2 which I'm allowing myself to read now.
Joan Szechtman
Jan 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
In Blue Bells of Scotland, Laura Vosika spins a captivating tale that combines historical fiction with time travel and a bit of reverse alternate history cleverly woven in. Instead of changing the final outcome of an important historical event, Vosika changes the history at the start of the novel so that her time traveler changes it to what actually is. Although the grandfather paradox is mentioned, no consequences are shown for the changed history that the time travel generated such as people d ...more
Dianne Wilensky
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is book 1 of a trilogy (Scottish history, romance, time travel). Book 2 is "The Minstral Boy" and there is a 3rd book on the way that I want to read as soon as it is published.

I'm not good at explaining why I liked a book so I'll borrow a review from Amazon.com.

"What if you could swap your life with someone in years long past? It's one of those questions I ask myself a lot. This book explores the possibilities of time travel and changing personalities.

Shawn Kleiner has it all, including a
Kat Yares
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing

Shawn Kleiner has it all, including a shallow, self serving personality to boot. Niall Campbell is Shawn's twin from the past - everything that makes a man a man - the complete opposite of Shawn. When circumstances cause them to trade places in time and history - we see one man remain loyal to himself and
Kristen
Oct 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vikki, Corey, Stef
Shelves: 2009
I was somewhat apprehensive when starting this book, thinking that it might be like any other book I've read involving time travel and historical events (specifically those that took place in Scotland). I was fortunate enough to have won an advance copy of the book, so I gave the book a full chance, and I was very pleasantly surprised.

Pretty soon after starting the book, I found myself not wanting to put the book down, curious about what would be happening next, where the story was going to go,
Julia
May 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
I thought I would enjoy this book as it has two of my favorite things - time travel and Scotland. It just didn't work for me. The character of Shawn was so annoying. He had no redeeming qualities and it was not at all convincing that Amy would stay with him with the way he treated her. Niall's character was the exact opposite, all honor and selflessness. He was a Mr Perfect and the fact that they were so completely opposite just made the whole scenario even more unbelievable. I wasn't convinced ...more
Ben Anderson
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advance copy. The writing is solid, characters come to life and you find yourself right there with them-- as Niall struggles to understand what's going on, as Shawn waits in the cellar, fighting off rats, as Allene and Shawn crawl through the woods with the English soldiers beating the brush behind them. I especially liked the fair day scene, moreso after I went to the Blue Bells Trilogy site (www.bluebellstrilogy.com) and listened to the music Shawn was playing.

Bei
Melanie
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
The writing was not the best, and one of the main characters was completely unlikeable - even after he started to "change." In the beginning, I had to force myself to continue reading, and it never really picked up. Towards the end I became a bit interested in how the story would play out, but not enough to make me care about the sequels.

Definitely would recommend skipping this one.
Suzanne
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
I just won this book! I am so exited, I cannot wait for it to come in so i can start reading! thank you Laura Vosika!
Cowcatt
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fantastic book. I really well done time travel. Loved it!!
Patricia
May 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: time-travel
Maybe I am too hasty in giving this five stars--I finished it like 3:00 a.m, this morning, so maybe I am still not thinking straight. Haha. However, the reason I say maybe I am too hasty is that the beginning of the book was a bit tough going for me and I actually switched to a different book because I was just not feeling it. I think the problem lay in not connecting with the beginning of the medieval story when introduced and then disliking (of course) Shawn so much. However, I returned to thi ...more
Susan Stangebye
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I read this for a book club selection, and I did have a difficult time initially actually getting caught up in the story. It took a little while for me. Once I got that point where the story started to take me in - I was able to find myself being very curious how things were going to work through and the outcome of the main characters. This helped drive the story plot line. In the end -I forgot this was a trilogy, so I will admit the ending made sense, but a bit disappointing for me.

Overall - o
Kat
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story That Teaches & Inspire the Heart

This is a great story not only of gratitude, love lost, love found, and growing up; but it's a story of history, self sacrifice, and acceptance. The author weaves a simple fiction story for entertainment into a powerful lesson of being grateful for what you have, supporting something bigger than yourself, and learning to grow as a person in uncertain times.
Tej
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the first self-published novel I've read that I can gladly recommend to others. It has history, time travel, love, redemption, and the grammar doesn't suck! Big shout out to the Fox Cities Book Festival for introducing me to this author. I'll definitely be reading the next one in the trilogy.
Cathy
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Derivative. Characters one-dimensional. A Goodreads What to read next recommendation. My eyes rolled throughout the book; and when the clans were called to war, I almost gagged over two words: "Fraser. Mackenzie." Really?
Nancy Stauffer
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Time travel in Scotland... music, history & an interesting tale of people switching places. Since it ended with a cliffhanger, guess I’m gonna have to read the next 2 books!!
Books
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
I was hesitant to read this book as I don’t entertain the notion of time-travelling. But Laura Vosika made it so believable, I caught myself from time to time actually reconsidering such a concept.

On the very first page of this book, I was already bent over laughing so hard. The author brilliantly portrays the arrogance and selfishness of the main character in a delightfully humorous way. You know guys like him. He swaggers into a room, women’s knees buckle and men’s blood boils. The world seems
Crazycatladyslibrary
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Did you know that everyone’s name has a meaning? For example, Shawn Kleiner’s name means self centered. And he certainly lived up to his name. As the critically-acclaimed virtuoso of the orchestra and an unabashed ladies man with an undeniable gift for blarney, Shawn didn’t care who he took advantage of or who got hurt as long as everything always went his way. But eventually the day came when his disenchanted girlfriend Amy, weary of his selfish ways, had finally had enough and left him high an ...more
Amanda
Aug 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
"You don't know what you've got till it's gone." Joni Mitchell sang these lines in her song "Big Yellow Taxi". The Counting Crows created their own version, but kept these ever so poignant words. Some of us have learned the effects of these words in our very own lives. For Shawn Kleiner in Laura Vosika's novel Blue Bells of Scotland, these words become a reality.

Shawn Kleiner is a famous twenty-first century trombone player. He has everything....money, fame, talent, a loyal girlfriend, and women
Susan
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really debated my rating. If I could do a 3 1/2 I would. Its an enjoyable easy read; its clean and one I'd not be embarrassed for my teenaged daughter to find on my nightstand. This is a book that starts like a harlequin. The old sweet ones; which is okay and nostalgic for me. I used to read my grandmothers books all the time...and I was sitting in a nice hot bath anyways so I kept on reading. I think it was the 4th chapter (of 21 chapters so still early in) that I started to get into the book ...more
P.T.L. Perrin
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-and-enjoyed
Shawn is a character you love to hate. His only redeeming factor is an astounding musical talent that has brought him fame and fortune. It’s a wonder that Amy, the girlfriend he constantly cheats on, remains faithful to him because she sees potential that no one else can imagine. I was beginning to think I didn’t like the story until the author introduced Niall.

Seven hundred years earlier, Niall Campbell, who looks exactly like Shawn, prepares for war with England. He’s promised to Allene, the L
Corey
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who liked Outlander
This captivating story sets up the trilogy story that surrounds two identical men separated by 700 years.

Shawn, whom is living in current times, is a celebrated trombonist touring the world and causing havoc everywhere he goes. Every hotel they leave is in ruins thanks to him and many hearts are broken in his wake. He has a steadfast girlfriend who wants to believe the good in him but even her patience is wearing thin.

Niall, whom is from the 1300's, is recovering from a wound and preparing to s
  • On a Highland Shore (Highland, #1)
  • Under the Same Sky (The MacDonnells, #1)
  • The Laird of Loch Fyne
  • Island of the Swans
  • Lady of the Glen: A Novel of 17th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe
  • Thirty Nights with a Highland Husband (Daughters of the Glen, #1)
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • Draycott Everlasting: Christmas Knight & Moonrise (Draycott Abbey #7.5 & 6)
  • Legacy
  • Roselynde (The Roselynde Chronicles, #1)
  • Shadows on the Aegean (Time Travel, #2)
  • Going Back for Romeo
  • The Scottish Rose
  • Footsteps in Time (After Cilmeri #1)
  • Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland
  • White Rose Rebel
  • The Forever Queen (Saxon #2)
  • Return of the Rose
Laura Vosika is the author of the Blue Bells Trilogy. In addition to the Trilogy, she is working on several other novels and a non-fiction book on raising a large family.

Laura grew up in the military, visiting castles in England, pig fests in Germany, and the historic sites of America's east coast, and living in climates ranging from Mississippi's heat to Duluth, Minnesota.

She earned a bachelor's

Blue Bells Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Minstrel Boy (Blue Bells Trilogy, #2)
  • The Water is Wide (Blue Bells Trilogy, #3)
  • Westering Home (The Blue Bells Trilogy Book 4)
  • The Battle is O'er (The Blue Bells Chronicles Book 5)