Start by marking “The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook

The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook

As featured in the book and movie Forks Over Knives!

By greatly simplifying the work involved in preparing healthy, whole food, exciting meals, bestselling authors Dr. John McDougall and Mary McDougall continue to build upon the success of their acclaimed, low-fat and plant based McDougall Program books. In this latest edition, they share their secrets for lowering choleste
Published April 1st 1999 by Plume (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook

Rosalind
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
I am a cookbook collector. I absolutely LOVE cookbooks, but I'm sad to say this is one that I do not enjoy. I have tried several of the recipes, and none of them have been worth making again. I commend the authors on their program and their wholesome nutritious recipes. I often omit oil and use water for sautéing when possible, which is what all the recipes in this cookbook do, and recipes I've tried from other sources come out fabulous. I have found the recipes to be rather bland, and this is c ...more
Kim Veach
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an old book but many of the recipes are still good. Some use some products that either aren't available anymore or are no longer whole food plant based. But it's easy enough to make substitutions.
Xanthi
Jan 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gives you exactly what it says in the title: quick and easy recipes that are low fat. And apart from the inclusion of honey in some recipes, they are vegan. None of recipes are fancy or include too many ingredients or any that are overly exotic. Some of the dishes may be too bland for some, whilst others are just right.
If you have read some of the other McDougall books, you may have come across some of these recipes before, and the 'no-fry in oil' techniques. It is still worth having
Marshall
Aug 04, 2010 rated it liked it
McDougall makes it easy to cook vegan, low-fat meals. I read The McDougall Program and the effectiveness of this simple program for weight loss and health impressed me. I would highly recommend reading that book first, but this is a great addendum, for quick and easy vegan meals. It may sound weird to say I "read a cookbook," but I skimmed the recipes, while a quarter of this book consists of 1-page summaries of the McDougall philosophy. These summaries may seem more like rants, though, since he ...more
Oct 18, 2012 rated it liked it
This book completely delivers on its promise, in the sense that all the meals are very quick and very easy. It follows the Mcdougall health plan (which I'm not on), so it's vegetarian and oil and dairy free. It wasn't that inspired (mainly combining cans of vegetables and some seasonings), but the soups and stews were good.

Aspects of the diet plan are included, and I could see where you'd lose weight on it - you can pretty much eat anything but animals, animal products and oil. I wasn't clear wh
Martha Smith
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
I love the recipes in this book. I also love the recipes from John McDougall's news letter. Wonderfully easy recipes. You can always add more spices or omit anything you don't care for. Brilliant, low-fat, vegan and quick!
Kathi Clark
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite vegan cookbook. Everything is easy and tastes good. It relies on a lot of canned and frozen products to make preparation as simple as possible. All the ingredients are easily found in a regular grocery store.
Nikki
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books, health
Lots of great vegan, plant based, lowfat recipes, and the ones I tried were definitely a success. The information contained in the book was quite good too. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Brit B
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegan
I used this book a lot in my transition from vegetarian to veganism. Most recipes are quick and easy with things you can find in most grocery stores. Great for new vegans and people looking to eat healthy!
Susan
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy tasty vegan recipes, though the subtitle is not really correct. How can you prepare a recipe in 15 minutes or less if it takes 20 minutes to cook? Unless they mean that the prep work is 15 minutes or less?
Anita Gray
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars - best cookbook out there in simple plant based cooking
Kara
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love all these recipes!! If you want plant based, low fat recipes this is the book to turn to! I highly recommend it.
Kate Merriman
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mind-body-spirit
Even easy enough for when I'm super busy! Great ideas in here, format is very useful.
Lindsay
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
These recipes really are quick and easy...a little TOO easy for me, but this cookbook would be great for someone who does not have very much cooking experience.
Jeanette
Dec 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
love the recipes in this book! bea (huge meatatarian will even rat them!)
Ricki
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I use this cookbook all the time! It's a life saver.
Karen
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Some really good looking recipes that I will try: Summer Fettuccine & Spicy Mongolian Noodles.
Elizabeth
Jan 16, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-cooking
I believe in his health theories but I just can't give up meat completely! The recipes in the book are a bit too hard core vegan for me.

Laurie
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great info for those contemplating going vegan.
Naja
Oct 12, 2016
Melanie Parsons
Jul 12, 2013
Tessa
rated it did not like it
May 02, 2017
Sep 16, 2015
Surjit
May 24, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Happy Herbivore Abroad: A Travelogue and Over 135 Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes from Around the World
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook: Delicious Dairy-Free Cheeses and Classic "Uncheese" Dishes
  • Vegan Express
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!
  • The China Study Cookbook: The Official Companion to the China Study (Over 120 Whole Food, Plant-Based Recipes)
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • My Beef with Meat: The Healthiest Argument for Eating a Plant-Strong Diet - Plus 140 New Engine 2 Recipes
  • The 100 Best Vegan Baking Recipes: Amazing Cookies, Cakes, Muffins, Pies, Brownies and Breads
  • Never Too Late to Go Vegan: The Over-50 Guide to Adopting and Thriving on a Plant-Based Diet
  • 1,001 Low-Fat Vegetarian Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make, Healthy Meals for Everyone
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and Special Occasions
  • May All Be Fed: 'a Diet For A New World : Including Recipes By Jia Patton And Friends
John A. McDougall is an American Irish physician and author whose philosophy is that degenerative disease can be prevented and treated with a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based/vegan diet – especially one based on starches such as potatoes, rice, and corn – which excludes all animal foods and added vegetable oils.