Start by marking “Unconditional Confidence: Instructions for Meeting Any Experience with Trust and Courage” as Want to Read:

Pema Ch�dr�n is one of today's leading meditation teachers. With more than one million books sold to date, she draws sold-out crowds across the U.S.and Canada. On Unconditional Confidence she offers two accessible sessions to help anyone find courage in times of challenge and change. Featuring a three-step method for learning to work with uncertainty and fear and an ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Sounds True

To ask other readers questions about Unconditional Confidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unconditional Confidence

Start your review of Unconditional Confidence: Instructions for Meeting Any Experience with Trust and Courage
Jacquie Underdown
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with everything that comes out of this woman's mouth. Is that grasping?
Kevin
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ever since early November I've been scared and anxious about the next 4 years, this excellent audiobook shows me hope, in to my point of view a dire situation, in fact to embrace this anxiousness and to use it.

One thing I'll take away from this is the image of standing in the surf and getting knocked down and then standing back up again, I know this is going to happen again and again until I die, the final knock down. But maybe getting back up again can be a little easier. This audiobook gives
Clara
Nov 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked the format of one CD (approx an hour) of teachings and one CD consisting of a 75-minute interview. Pema Chodron's dharma talks are essentially on the same topic: how to free ourselves from habitual behaviors and patterns that create suffering, and how to cultivate the conditions that are less likely to entangle us in the future. That's not a negative criticism--I don't know anyone for whom this topic isn't a challenge. This means, 'though, that some listeners may find her various CDs ...more
Wilma Rebstock
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: buddhism
I read this again today. I needed it in the face of a tragic accident in which we lost our darling granddaughter.
Mead Z
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best self-help/meditation audio book i have ever listened too yet!
Mckinley
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interview and teaching.
Lindsay Nixon
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The content wasnt what I was expecting based on the title. It was so much more (!) with very helpful and actionable tips. Highly recommend ...more
Magen
I needed to listen to this more than once to fully understand everything Pema was teaching, but once I did, it was really impactful. This is the first book that I've come across which teaches effectively the concept of smiling at fear.

Listened to both sessions on 10/10, listened to just session one on 10/11, 10/17, 10/22, and 10/27.
Taylor Trauger
I've listened to almost all of the Pema Chödrön audio sessions I can get from the library and it's hard to pick favorites but this one was really good and I think listening to it all in one sitting is the way to go.
Suze
Nov 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ive been listening to this little audio book over and over again. There is so much insight in Pema Chodrins words that can be applied to everyday situations. I particularly liked the phrase tender-hearted bravery in connection with facing our fears and letting go of our storylines. Step by baby step the world becomes less of a threat as we undo habits and patterns. I keep trying. ...more
Nancy
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Pema's talks are vitamins. Included here: the reminder to see the story-line as a story-line, separate from whatever jangle of feeling one is feeling. The second CD is not a talk, but an interview with an unintroduced "Tammy." Tammy's voice is so smooth, SO low, SO PEACEFUL I thought I was going to blow a gasket. Finally I got used to it, and did appreciate her questions.
Pauline Sacré
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I usually find it hard to grasp spiritual books centered around enlightenment, but I like Pema Chödrön. Much of what she talks about in Unconditional Confidence felt surprisingly relatable for anyone who ever experiences any degree of fear or lack of confidence, which is probably everyone..
Alanna-Jane
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first disc is a recorded talk, and the second an interview with Tami Simon of Sounds True. Although it is illuminating, wise and relatable (as all her work is), this was definitely not my favourite. I can't put a finger on why not - it simply didn't wow me like she usually does.
Amy
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely but brief teaching on treating oneself gently and trusting oneself. Features a talk and an interview with Chodron on there topics. Chodron talks a bit about her personal challenges in the interview. Listened to it twice.
Janice
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I am not that into Pema Chodron, but she makes me think about what I do after a wave hit me. Trust and courage need time to build up. I will consider more on preparing myself on facing the unexpected situation after listening this book.
LemontreeLime
This is a recording of a dharma talk Pema gave on the subject of confidence, resilience, fear, and fearlessness. Excellent advice. Not very long, one hour of talk and one hour of interview with the Sounds True narrator.

relistened to this in oct, 2015.
Karen Leech
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, i-own, audible
enjoyable, kindly, humorous, worth a listen.
Ljonz
Oct 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Chodron states "I get why old people are grumpy. We must learn to manage our anxiety so that we don't become a characture of an old person . . ." and approach our own death with dignity.
Carol
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Normally, I love Pema Chodron's ideas, but I found this sparce and not as direct and on-point as I'd hoped.
Helen
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pema Chodron is so practical and down to earth. Listening to her recordings is akin to hearing a special friend speaking: kindness, compassion and lots of good sense.
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed listening to Pema Chodron on Unconditional Confidence. She is able to radiate a certain degree of peace and tranquility as she speaks. It is nice to listen to.
Pam
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Love her work. She gives tender morsels of wisdom that can be digested by the average person who justs tries to do a little better each day.
Meimei
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good follow-on to Eckhart Tolle. Pema Chodron is so clear, so articulate and thoughtful; a real pleasure.
Sidra
Dec 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually listened to this one. Pema Chodron always has relevant, important, relatable things to say to me. I enjoyed listening to this talk (not a book, but a taped interview).
Kate
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Pema is always amazing and offers such pieces of wisdom. Definitely would like to read again.
Marisa
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
listened on CD. Really great information - I could have listened to it repeatedly in order to make it stick
Jessica
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
this lady totally makes sense.
Hannah Scharton
Mar 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was lovely. Pema has a really approachable, trauma-informed perspective on mindfulness that I was able to immediately start applying to my life. In a world filled with a lot of scary events and news stories, the ability to not only accept your fear but appreciate it as a part of your human experience is incredibly valuable. I plan on reading this at least one or two more times. Even though it was super short, it feels so valuable and I suspect I'll get something new out of it each time ...more
Iris
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddhist, 2019
This is a perfect first read for a new year. But also the kind of book where you begin to live differently once the lessons start to sink in for you, new year or not. The first half of this text is a lecture and the second half is an interview with Tami Simon & both felt very tender & precious. Thanks Pema.

I bought this one on the Sounds True app, but didn't see that option in the editions settings on goodreads.
Melissa
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Although this book didn't provide any specifically new information regarding the topic of meditation, Chodron's explanations for why gentle kindness or compassion toward the self in meditation and how practice is instrumental in the process of meditation is clear, detailed, and thought provoking. She is a charismatic, relatable voice to be heard. I loved her metaphor of meditation practice compared to walking into the ocean getting hit by waves: it's not that the waves stop coming, but rather it ...more

• The Evolving Self: A Psychology for the Third Millennium
  • Breathing: The Master Key to Self Healing
  • Why Won’t You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
  • The Trauma of Everyday Life
  • The Book of Forgiving: The Fourfold Path for Healing Ourselves and Our World
  • Mindfulness for Beginners
  • Why We're Polarized
  • Good Moms Have Scary Thoughts: A Healing Guide to the Secret Fears of New Mothers
  • The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self
  • The 30-Day Money Cleanse: Take Control of Your Finances, Manage Your Spending, and De-Stress Your Money for Good
  • Advice Not Given: A Guide to Getting Over Yourself
  • The Achievement Habit: Stop Wishing, Start Doing, and Take Command of Your Life
  • Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA
  • The Art of Mindful Living: How to Bring Love, Compassion, and Inner Peace Into Your Daily Life
  • When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Earthbound
  • Raise Your Vibration: 111 Practices to Increase Your Spiritual Connection
Ani Pema Chödrön (Deirdre Blomfield-Brown) is an American Buddhist nun in the Tibetan tradition, closely associated with the Kagyu school and the Shambhala lineage.

She attended Miss Porter's School in Connecticut and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley. She taught as an elementary school teacher for many years in both New Mexico and California. Pema has two children and three

News & Interviews

With clever detectives, missing jewels, murderous women, daring spies, and more, mysteries and thrillers deliver page-turning delight with ever...