Start by marking “One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)

One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  10,063 Ratings  ·  681 Reviews
In One Dance with a Duke--the first novel in Tessa Dare's delightful new trilogy--secrets and scandals tempt the irresistible rogues of the Stud Club to gamble everything for love.
A handsome and reclusive horse breeder, Spencer Dumarque, the fourth Duke of Morland, is a member of the exclusive Stud Club, an organization so select it has only ten members--yet membership is
Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about One Dance with a Duke, please sign up.
Trishh Maybe the editorial asked for a "usual cover". Not many covers reflect the heroines or hero, except for hair color...

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical Romance Lovers
Recommended to UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish by: Cheryl Robbins
Spoilers are marked

It seems that lately I’ve been doing a lot of “first reads” of an author and in keeping with that trend, this is my first by Tessa Dare and overall I was quite pleased.

I’ll start out by saying that I’ve seen reviews and comments by people who thought the Stud Club idea for a plot was dumb, boring, and lacking believability, but I actually thought it was a great jumping off point and foundation for the trilogy. After all, when you think about it, it’s not too hard to believe t
Catherine
Shawna
4 stars – Historical/Regency Romance

This is my first read by Tessa Dare, and I enjoyed the writing, humorous dialogue, witty banter, rather unique plot, and steamy romance. The main reason it didn't get a 5-star rating is that I just didn't quite connect fully with the characters, and I never really became emotionally invested in their relationship. I liked curvy, spirited, strong-willed spinster Amelia and arrogant, alpha with a hidden, tender, romantic side Spencer, Duke of Morland and enjoye
Amy (Foxy)
● MURDER ● MYSTERY ● MARRIAGE ● MIDNIGHT ● MAYHEM ●

The STUD CLUB trilogy is a fun historical romance series.

Leo has created an exclusive gentleman's club that only allows 10 members to own a retired stud. The only way you may obtain a coin (membership) is by a game of chance (coins must never be sold). When Leo is murdered his coin has gone missing. The remaining members of this gentleman's club begin a search to find answers.

Spencer is a wealthy duke. He doesn't like to be around large groups
Laura the Highland Hussy
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this was great. I read a few reviews where Amelia's affection for her brother Jack was overdone,but I thought it worked with the way her relationship and self-martyring personality was. And to be fair, the self-martyring wasn't really all that bad...that was more Spencer's take on Amelia, not mine.

Amelia and Spencer meet at a ball, minus any romantic impulses. They are married just days later, as a business arrangement, and fall into friendship and love. I loved how Spencer was able to
Rane
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Tessa Dare weaves another wonderful trilogy with the first of the Stud Club series One Dance with a Duke. Each lead character does have some major issues, but even with their issues it only made them more human in my eyes.

Lady Amelia d’Orsay is having a hard time trying to keep her family from the breaking point .Mostly her brother Jack who has become so self-destructive that he doesn’t see the pain he’s casuing his love ones as he spirals out of control. Amelia is trying to save him from hims
Daniella
Jul 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
description

I rage quit this book by Chapter 6. GOD I COULDN'T STAND IT. THE HERO, SPENCER, WAS SUCH AN ASSHOLE. I just couldn't finish it. I'd rather do somersaults over a vat of molten lava than finish it.

Yes, he was that bad.

How? Ha. Well let me count the ways. First and foremost, he was an arrogant son of a bitch who kept saying to himself "Oh, I'm the Duke of Morland, I'm not required to explain myself". WILL YOU JUST GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE FOR A SECOND AND BE HUMAN, YOU ASS?

And oh, since we're on the
Amy
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fv-review, 2read2

Arousing. That's the first word that comes to mind. Handsome, debonair, sensual, passionate, romantic.(although he won't admit it) These are just a few of the many qualities of Spencer, The Duke of Moreland. Arousing on the dance floor, riding a purebred horse and most important riding a woman to ecstasy!

This was the first Tessa Dare read for me and I have to say it won't be my last. My goodness, Ms. Dare can bring the romance and sensuality to the reader! Just her description of a kiss will me
Dina
I'm sorry, but an annoying heroine can ruin any book. Wanting to hit her with a shovel over and over isn't conducive to a pleasant read.
Beanbag Love
May 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was a really enjoyable premiere of Tessa Dare's new trilogy, The Stud Club.

Of course, The Stud Club refers to breeding horses, but we know what it reeeeeeeealllly means. Vavoom.

In any case, I had a few problems that cost Dare a star, but overall the romance was nice and the evolution of their attraction and devotion made sense to me. Their love scenes were well written and sensual and I didn't feel there were so many that I needed to skim.

Both characters had irritating quirks. Sometimes th
Sharon
This is so sweet and adorable. <3

I think the first 60% is pretty much perfect. The next 25% is also great, but it does begin to get a little angsty/conflicting. The last bit of the book gets surprisingly somber and fast-paced. Usually, I would find the H to be lacking, wanting him to prove himself more by the end of this book. For this book, that is actually how I feel about the h this time.

Don’t get me wrong. I find Amelia to be great. She is amusing and passionate about her family and her
Ginger
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3.5 stars!
The characters got better as the book went along. I wasn’t invested in them in the beginning and thought about doing a DNF. Then the writing got better and I really liked Spencer. Tessa Dare's characterization was great for him. I couldn't stand him in the beginning and then I absolutely loved his character by the end.

Now to Amelia. I liked her in the beginning but then 1/2 through, I really started disliking her. Her absolute "blind love" for her brother drove me nuts and I hated he
Ally72
Oct 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book and I think I maybe enjoyed it a little bit more than even some of my goodreads friends did. Amelia was such a sweet heroine and I almost cried at times for her in the story. Spencer reminded me a bit of St. Vincent from "A Devil in Winter" and I thought they made a wonderful combination. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a historical romance book to read!!! Tessa Dare is definitely an author that is on auto buy for me.
valee
Jul 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. So many amazing quotes from it. It was breathtaking more than once.

This was such a sweet story. In it, you will find a lovely, shy and extremely caring wallflower. She would have never been noticed by the duke in any normal circumstance, but that's what is so nice about books, isn't it? He did. So we see how this couple -one very different from the other- struggle and try to move on every problem they go through. As the story goes on, we see how they were meant to
BJ Rose
Jul 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-regency, series
Amelia was a very sensible, very caring, very pragmatic, intelligent young woman who agreed to marry an arrogant, antisocial, very rich duke so she could help her younger brother Jack, who owed a gambling debt to the duke. All sympathies should be with Amelia, right?! Yet with every detail that was disclosed, my sympathies turned more and more to Spencer and away from Amelia, who focused everything around her blind devotion to Jack, and repeatedly blamed her husband for not caring. And for all t ...more
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5

What can I say except most of it (but not quite) is in the book summary. You have your mysterious, harsh and rude nobleman, an uncommon beauty with love to spare for every single undeserving person she has in her life, a murder that plays a role only in regards to their relationship and the duke's secrets, and horses.
Nothing much to say really. If you've read Tessa Dare before, then you know the type of heroine Amelia is. You can't not like her.
willaful
Jul 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Anne Gracie
3 1/2 stars. Although I was disappointed that this didn't have the freshness or originality of some of Dare's previous books, it was an engaging read that often made me laugh at lines like these: "Spencer stared at the words so fiercely, Amelia would not have been surprised to see the scrawled letters roust themselves from the paper and rearrange to spell different words, just to escape his displeasure." I keep wanting to compare it to Julia Quinn, except I've developed such an intense Quinn all ...more
Roxanne
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this a lot, especially the two main characters, Amelia and Spencer. Spencer deserves special mention because of his particular challenges - he reminded me of my husband, in fact. So of course, I loved him!
Cheryl
For the first half of this book I would have given it five stars, but then the heroine started driving me nuts for a little while, but in the end all was right again and I ended up giving this book 4 stars!

I am truly happy that Tessa Dare has decided to share her talent as an author with the rest of the world! She creates characters who become real; characters with real fears and problems, dreams and desires.

At every ball Spencer, the Duke of Moreland, chooses one lady to dance with. He only dan
Fani *loves angst*
Well, barring Amelia's stupid behavior in the end of the book, this one was a true delight to read! Sweet, tender and also very emotional at times, I loved the way Spencer's rigidity and cold (at first glance) facade was paired with Amelia's giving and tender nature. And when Spencer reveals his love for her... this sealed its 5-star status for me. A little sweeter than I usually like my romances, but so well written and poignant and humorous at times, that it didn't bother me at all. I'm surpri ...more
Alp
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
It's been a while since I picked up a historical romance book. I always haven't had much luck with this genre, but the blurb sounded promising enough for me to give it a go.

The story started off strong. The first half was good and entertaining but sadly, by the end, it didn't quite deliver. The more I read, the more I was so frustrated and annoyed with the heroine. She acted like she chose her brother over the hero who was her own husband! So, that was the reason why I gave this book 3 stars ins
Melissa
Apr 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Holly
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Tessa Dare that I've read. Based on the reviews I read of her first trilogy, I wasn't sure they were for me. This one, however, sounded right up my alley.

While I loved most if it, I'm really struggling to come to terms with the actions of the heroine at the end of the book. Both protagonists made mistakes throughout, but I don't understand why the heroine made the choice she did.

Otherwise I really loved it. The story itself was wonderfully told and the characters were
Isabel
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tessa Dare, I'm becoming a big fan of you!!!!

Spencer, the Duke, is my favorite kind of male character: beautiful, sexy, powerful, arrogant but absolutly romantic!!!

I feel amazing when I'm reading HR books, such a turn on, incredible sex scenes, and kisses... My God exciting kisses!!!

I want more!!!
D.G.
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I wasn’t very impressed with the first 100 pgs. The latest historical romance I read had a very similar premise - plain, plump (read: buxom) heroine conquests most desirable bachelor - and I kept wondering if authors had any creativity left. But this author took the conflict in an unpredictable direction and made it believable and true. You could understand both points of view – this wasn’t the type of conflict where one of the other was acting ...more
Kelly
Jul 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-read
I have such mixed feeling for this romance. The beginning just didn't work at all for me and I had a really hard time getting into the story.

It did have elements that I typically love strong demanding hero, forced (sort of) marriage. But when it comes down to it I just didn't like more than I liked.

I did read it fairly quickly but feel that it was a bit wordy. The editor would have been correct in cutting about 50 pages or so.

In the end the h/h grew on me. While I really liked Amelia the Duke
Cristina
It's goes so painfully slow. I really tried to be patient but surely the Lord is testing me. How else will you explain this torturous book? Forget anticipation. I was bored to death.
Lelyana's Reviews
Jan 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Saly
Tessa Dare is one of my most favourite historical authors. Her books have amazing characters and are filled with passion.
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Review @ Under the Covers

3.5 Stars

Amelia isn't impressed with the Duke of Midnight. He descends upon a ball at midnight dances a set with one of the young and the brainless before leaving again, the ladies sighs of both desire and fear follow in his wake. However, her wastrel brother owes him money so when he next makes his melodramatic entrance she commendeers his hand; however, little does she know that that one action will cause her life to change drastically.

I know 3.5 stars doesn't seem lik
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • Like No Other Lover (Pennyroyal Green, #2)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • In Bed with the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #1)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • The Duke's Perfect Wife (MacKenzies & McBrides, #4)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To #1)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • The Husband Trap (The Trap Trilogy, #1)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen
More about Tessa Dare

Stud Club (3 books)
  • Twice Tempted by a Rogue  (Stud Club, #2)
  • Three Nights with a Scoundrel (Stud Club, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“He kissed her. Without warning, without permission. Without even deciding to do it, but simply because he couldn't have done anything else. He needed that breath she was holding. It belonged to him, and he wanted it back.” 111 likes
“I'm infatuated with you, I cannot deny it. Physically speaking, you're a very attractive man. But I don't like you, the vast majority of the time. So far as I can gather, you behave abominably in public and are only marginally better in private. I only find you remotely tolerable when you're kissing me.” 105 likes