Start by marking “A Change Had To Come” as Want to Read:
A Change Had To Come

A Change Had To Come

Leticia Langley is used to fighting for what she wants. That's how she wound up being the first in her family to graduate from college. So what if she's never had a date? All that's about to change when she gets herself a job as a food columnist for The Journal--and treats herself to a makeover that will transform her life.

With her hot weave and a dazzling new wardrobe tha
Published October 1st 2009 by Dafina (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Change Had To Come, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Change Had To Come

Megan Hansen
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
“A Change Had to Come” starts with Leticia Langley putting the right foot forward. She’s graduated from college, landed a great job, so what’s left but to get a great make over? The reader is quickly swept up into Leticia’s and her cousin Kenyetta’s world of friendly rivalry and the dramatic roller coaster begins. Foster writes real women with real problems that are both easy to relate to and be astonished by. There was plenty of drama and just enough ‘will they, or won’t they?’ moments to keep ...more
Siria
Jan 13, 2010 rated it did not like it
When I first picked this book up, I really wanted to like it—a novel about a successful African-American woman who negotiates issues of body image and self-esteem, has a career as a journalist and finds love? Awesome! But after a page or two, I really wanted to be able to finish it, but in the end, I couldn't even manage that. A Change Had to Come is just flat out bad—the prose is awful, the dialogue is terrible ("What the devil do you mean by undermining me and grabbing my assignment?" Twenty-f ...more
Stephanie Williams
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I luved this book, I have to admit that at first I wasn't so sure cause of some of the other reviews but I'm glad I actually read it. I'm thinking about getting more books by this author.
Kichekodriggins
Great Book to read....!! Recommend. This author is not only excellent but an extraordinary person.

Read early...
Chauntae  Hollins
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
I listened to the audio version of the book and thought my disinterest of it was based solely on my dislike of the narrator. However, that's not the case. The book was very slow for me and I only finished it because I was determined to get to the end - not my interest in the story. I'll give the author one more chance but, so far, I'm not impressed.
Lorraine Darrell
Lov d Story Line

I just loved how the story made many turns, I would like to find out whether or not her cousin got her life sorted out.
Nicole Sharon
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book! I'm so glad that I didn't allow reviews to deter me. I think that sometimes people are fortunate to have certain life lessons or wisdom passed down to them, that they're unable to appreciate the wisdom being shared in this book. When you're in a situation similar to Leticia you lack the benefits of such wisdom.

Just a few notes and pieces of wisdom:

*How do you know that love is real, i5 to recieve love? You start by knowing that you are worth loving.

*I loved this line from j
Lgb2163
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Read for the 2nd time . . . May, 2017! Loved it!
L (Sniffly Kitty)
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
I felt that a lot of the book felt contrived and in many ways was quite cliche. The main character is a work-a-holic who doesn't have a whole lot of social skill. The degree to which her social skill is lacking is often to the point of laughable as is often the case with females portrayed in this way. Ignoring the social skills, everything else about her is perfect of course.

Disclaimer: I won this for free from First Reads.
Carla
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a good read for me and seriously it was not predictable at all for me. Leticia has come by everything the hard way, she worked for it. She gets her dream job and works her butt off to keep it.

This book is about Leticia taking control of her life and living it the way she wants. About her finding her voice.

She finds love in a co-worker who has had his share of bad experiences and is a little weird as well.
Nicole
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was good. I really enjoyed it. I'm glad that Max and Leticia got married and had kids. It kind of surprise me that they named their kids after Joel and Allison. Also I found it funny that Kenyetta kept trying to go after other peoples men. Why couldn't she get her own? Really enjoy it.
Deedee
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was interesting.... I liked the idea of a woman going through the hardship of life and deciding that she is worth more than what she thought she did.
Andrea F.
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I enjoyed the story. Read e-copy.
Grace
Lynda Box
Oct 07, 2018
A Change Had to Come.... 1 14 Sep 05, 2009 12:55PM
Died January 16, 2015.

Fiction writing is Gwynne Forster’s second career. She holds bachelors and masters degrees in sociology, a master’s degree in economics/demography and has additional graduate credits in journalism. As a demographer, she is widely published. She is formerly chief of (non-medical) research in fertility and family planning in the Population Division of the United Nations in New