Start by marking “Soap and Water and Common Sense: The Definitive Guide to Viruses, Bacteria, Parasites, and Disease” as Want to Read:

As a physician who has spent nearly two decades chasing bugs all over the world from Ebola in Uganda, to polio in Pakistan, to SARS in Toronto leading epidemiologist and public-health doctor Bonnie Henry offers three simple rules to help people avoid getting sick: clean your hands, cover your mouth when you cough, and stay at home when you have a fever. It all boils down ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by House of Anansi Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Soap and Water and Common Sense, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soap and Water and Common Sense

Start your review of Soap and Water and Common Sense: The Definitive Guide to Viruses, Bacteria, Parasites, and Disease
İlkim
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, e-book, non-fiction
Dağınık bir kitap, zor bitirdim. Mikrobiyoloji 101 dersi olmuş bir de, gerçi vaka geçmişini öğrenmek fena değildi ama mikrobiyoloji temeli alan biri olarak ben sanırım sıkıldım okurken. Kitabın temel iletisi de adında gizli. Onun dışında çok ekstrem bir olayı yok. Nelerden ne bulaşabileceğini bilmek isterseniz o bakımdan da yararlı.
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Alas this book did not hit my spot. It seemed confused and disorganised - is it a basic text, is it a history of infectious disease, is a guide to preventing infectious disease? Not quite any of those things It reminded me of my microbiology and virology course at university which was delivered by a rambling lecturer. There were some odd oversimplifications and omissions.

There certainly are plenty of interesting stories scattered through the book - I didn't know about Salmonella in chocolate,
Wendi Lau
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Heavy on the vaccines cure all message. Interesting that almost everything, no matter how deadly, can be avoided by good hand-washing. Scary yucky how waterparks, hot tubs, and all sorts of undercooked meat and fresh vegetables can harbor bacteria and viruses. I learned that I should cook everything as much as possible, wash everything I'm going to stick down my pie hole as much as possible, and it would probably be a good idea to wear a face mask when traveling in crowded, enclosed places like ...more
Dorothy
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very well written book which reinforces the importance of handwashing in in infection control. Using the metaphor of a corporation known as "Microbes Inc", explains the differences between bacteria, viruses and parasites and the history of outbreaks of infectious disease. The author is an epidemiologist who works for the BC Centre for Disease Control in Vancouver.
Tyler
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic description of the origin of diseases and what we can do to stop the spread of them. Well-written and down to earth, Henry's book is a must-read for any health care professional looking into epidemiology for the first time.
Jen