Start by marking “Christiaan Barnard: One Life” as Want to Read:
Christiaan Barnard: One Life

Christiaan Barnard: One Life

The autobiographical tale of the doctor who performed the first human heart transplant.
530 pages
Published 1972 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1969)

Start your review of Christiaan Barnard: One Life
Sergio GRANDE
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was fortunate to interview Prof Barnard in the mid-80s. A charming and frank man with that pseudo sophistication of 80s Afrikaners who had traveled. Also a vain Lothario.
The book is simple, like him, and you can hear his voice in the narration.
A personal anecdote: I had taken a copy of the book from the library for my research and had it with me during the interview. Prof Barnard asked if I'd give him the book because he didn't own a copy. I apologized, made some excuse and then asked him to a
Linsey
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! I am a transplant mom-both of my daughters have had them-so to read about the very infancy of heart transplants. I was so fascinated with the book the whole time, especially when I found out about the work he did here in Minnesota. A great read.
Lalith Srivatsa
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply a must read- transplanting the heart is quite a task.

There's something about the Africans that keeps my interest in them.
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of medical history
Believe in what you do. Never stop learning and trying new things. Success and knowledge will follow from failed attempts.
BAGNULO MARCELLO
May 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
La storia di un precursore: l'uomo che aprì le porte all'epopea dei trapianti, quando i più illustri cardiologi sostenevano che era impossibile perseguire quella strada. Oggi che i trapianti di cuore sono divenuti routine, tutti noi dobbiamo ringraziare questo pioniere che ha permesso che ciò avvenisse.
Kimberly Brooks
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was SO GOOD! I love how honest he was with his shortcomings, feelings, and successes. I also liked how other perspectives were included from important people in the story. Not too medically technical that I couldn't follow, but specific enough that I could understand what was happening.
Deanna
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has forever changed my life. There really isn’t much more I can say. If you love history, medical history, read this. I don’t care that Dr. Barnard was apparently an ass in real life. That’s not the point of this story. The point is the amazing event that happened, that he and his team, along with some amazing equipment and techniques that other awesome people created, made an amazing event possible, and our world was forever changed because of it.
John
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mexico, nonfiction, bio
The best parts of this book were the parts about the other people involved in the life of the doctor. The family of the man who received the transplant. a fast easy read. i will forget all about it next week.
Lee Yahnker
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love biographies. Very interesting how the first heart transplant came to be performed in South Africa. I researched Chriistian's life after the book ended and was quite surprised at the number of marriages and children he had.
Susan Roach
I read this book many years ago. However remember it well, as it is the story of the first heart transplant. A real good read!
Helen
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It illustrated his brilliance and shortcomings - an excellent portrayal of a real person and not a persona as many biographies are.
Poe Ei Phyu
Bogdana Ulici
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »

• Some Girls: My Life in a Harem
  • Aniela Kaminski's Story: A Voyage from Poland During World War II (Journey to America #2)
  • The Trumpeter of Krakow
  • Fiona McGilray's Story: A Voyage from Ireland in 1849
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Vol. 1
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #1)
  • Aztecs and Incas: A Guide to the Pre-Colonized Americas in 1504
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • Gods and Pharaohs from Egyptian Mythology
  • The Cross Centered Life
  • Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood
  • Irish Red
  • Stepping Heavenward
  • Humility: True Greatness
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • Beautiful Girlhood
  • Shadow Over San Mateo (Golden Filly, #6)
  • Limits of Medicine:, The: How Science Shapes Our Hope for the Cure