Start by marking “The Red Wolf” as Want to Read:
The Red Wolf

The Red Wolf

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Roselupin has had quite enough of being locked away in her tower room. Her father the king thinks he needs to protect her from the wild and dangerous world outside, but Roselupin knows better. So when she receives a mysterious gift on her seventh birthday, Roselupin uses it as her ticket out of the tower and into the woods, where she howls and dances all day long—and surpr ...more
Published November 13th 2006 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Wolf

Sherry
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Inspired by "Where The Wild Things Are", both in story and illustration, with an old-fashioned fairy-tale quality married with a "gotcha back" ending. Very enjoyable read - for both adults and for kids aged 4-10.
Beatrice Fox
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Everything I would ever want and ask for in a children's book is right here. It is a magical wonderful fantasy tale with gorgeous pictures some very detailed that could be paintings while other pages just service the story simply and effectively. A tale of a king who has locked his daughter into a tower and the wonderful transformation journey of that girl. Such wonderful wonderful drawings. Some pages I just wanted to stare at a bit longer. Obviously inspired by WHere the WIld THings Are. Not a ...more
Sara Castro
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
This book shows many different emotions and many different illustrations. Children will be engaged by the many different things going on throughout this book. It has adventure and shows true feelings of a child. The illustrations shown in the book represent a child wanting to get out and just have fun, the colors make the story pop, and you can see the emotions written on each characters face in the pictures. The emotions were shown more in the pictures than in the text of the book. The text, to ...more
Elisa Samano
Sep 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Red Wolf tells the story of Roselupin and her life inside a tower. Roselupin wants nothing more but to step outside, but her father will not let her. One day, for her birthday, she receives wool as a present. Dissatisfied with her present, she decides to wool away. Before she knows it, this wool consumes her and engulfs her to the point of her being wrapped with it, and turning into a red wolf. Roselupin runs into the forest and has a huge adventure.

The plot of the story is Roselupin getting
Stephanie Sesic
May 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I loved the story of the young, red-haired princess Roselupin, confined to a tower by her overly protective father, the king. When a golden chest full of yarn is discovered “For Roselupin,” with the message that she should “Knit what you want,” the king suggests that she knit him a nice scarf. But Roselupin takes all the red yarn and knits herself a wolf suit, which when she put it on, causes her to grow into a real, enormous red wolf. She escapes from the tower and is appeased with food from th ...more
Salsabrarian
Roselupin's father, the King, locks her away in a tower room to protect her from the wild and dangerous world. Roselupin longs to be out in the world she sees from her window. One day a golden box full of balls of wool shows up for Roselupin. The king laughs and dismisses the gift but Roselupin knits a red wolf suit that busts her out of the tower to see the world and frightens the king who thinks the wolf has eaten his daughter. When she returns to her normal size and shape, the king locks her ...more
Ashleigh Entwistle
Sep 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Margaret Shannon, The Red Wolf (2002)

This book is about a little girl,Roselupin, put into a tower by her father, the king, because "The world is a wild and dangerous place." On her seventh birthday, she got a gold box, inside was yarn and it said "Knit what you want" and the king laughed. She knit what she wants. She gets to do what she wants to do.

This books illustrates how a girl wants to go outside and play but the father thinks it too dangerous for her. The meaning of this book to show the r
paperdollmom
I don't even really know what to say about this book? It is a fairytale of sorts, with a king who locks his daughter in a tower to keep her safe. There is a mysterious golden box, some knitting, a little bit of magic and shape-shifting. It was a rather odd tale that felt like it ended abruptly, and weirdly. Not even entirely sure what the overall positive message is that children can walk away with? The illustrations were fun though.
JustOneMoreBook.com
Jul 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Brimming with mystique and echoes of Sendak, this fresh fairy tale subtly, yet powerfully, casts light on the costs of safety and the value of freedom. Our whole family is entranced by this fabulous book.

Listen to our chat about this book on our JustOneMoreBook.com Children's Book Podcast:

Korinne Sackela
I liked the story-line and the creative names to go along with this fairy tale story. It was really relatable even though it has a fairy tale feel. A lot of children probably disagree with their parents and it's added humor to see that she found a way to get rid of the father that had her all locked up.
Dawn Draper
Mediocre fairy tale. The story started as interestingly, had a strong rise of action and even climax but then it plummeted to a cruel abrupt death. It was like the author got called to dinner and just dropped his pencil.
Nerd-Light-Books
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really like this unique tale! And I like that the heroine saves herself from being locked in the tower. This is a fun book to read with a little one. I enjoyed doing a silly accent for the king. :-)
Esodhiambo
what if
Catherine
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Love this story of a little red-haired princess who escapes her extremely overbearing, overprotective father with the help of a mysterious, magical box of yarn. fantastic illustrations, too.
stacy
Jun 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved, loved, loved this book, even more than my daughter. It's a great feminist story w/a little twist, gotta love it!
Tricia
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
fun fairy tale about a girl locked in a tower to protect her from the world who escapes under the guise of being a red wolf. may work with preschoolers.
Jessica
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a well told rather strange story.
Rhosel Ceballo
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for read-aloud. Children will find the ending surprising.
Knitology
Roselupin, a princess locked in a tower by her overprotective father, uses yarn to knit a red wolf suit to free herself.
Tonee
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
My children especially love this story when read in character! Such a cute, whimsical book. Love it!
Pamela
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it. Way to take charge of destiny princess!
Amber
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well loved by my little girls - my favorite detail was the princess 'rescuing' herself from the tower
Shannon Ozirny
May 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Maurice Sendak people will love the shout outs to Where the Wild Things are in this book's illustrations.
Ruth
Aug 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Reminds me of Sendak's Where the wild things are , but better.
Heather
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, knitting
I love books where the heroine is creative in solving her problems. And I love books involving knitting. This was very cute.
Miri
Best. Princess book. Ever. And I really liked this review of it.
Meleofa