Start by marking “All Kinds of Magic: A Quest for Meaning in a Material World” as Want to Read:
All Kinds of Magic: A Quest for Meaning in a Material World

All Kinds of Magic: A Quest for Meaning in a Material World

All Kinds of Magic Features the author's voyage of re-enchantment, which led him from snow-blanketed villages in the Himalayas to a dappled, ancient Sufi quarter in Delhi; from the world's largest religious festival on the banks of the swollen Ganges to tiny, covert communities of whirling dervishes in rural Turkey. Full description
Published January 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury UK

To ask other readers questions about All Kinds of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Kinds of Magic

Start your review of All Kinds of Magic: A Quest for Meaning in a Material World
Vartika
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-e-copy
I enjoyed this book for many reasons - i love travel journals.. I love love travel journals with a purpose.. I share the author's open mindedness about not blinding himself completely to the notion of 'magic', taking refuge in science but rather being accepting of alternate realities, some of which are best experienced, seldom explained. I wish to meet an oracle in Ladakh soon while I am not too sure if Ayahuaska is for me yet! Go ahead, grab this book for its journeys - inward and outward.
Mohammad Zahid Mateen
"They wanted what we had, we wanted what they had. The twain, it was now undeniable, were meeting head on and sparks where flying."
Dani
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful and, shall I say, magical book! I was not familiar with a few customs and beliefs that Ede had experienced, which made the book more interesting to me, as I love learning new things about other cultures. Like previous commenters, I liked the India section the best. Ede's descriptions were so vivid, that I often felt like I was standing there beside him.

The Turkey section was different from the India section in a way that made the book more interesting and diverse.
Happy
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the first part of the book especially the Indian section, it kept me interested and I was keen to keep reading. By the time Piers was experimenting with ayahuasca my interest waned. The thought of spirituality having to be obtained through the use of drugs does not interest me. I do not see this as spirituality.
Piers wrote in his closing chapter "as for my own journey, well, it continues day by day. And perhaps, at last, that old restlessness is settling down. My central focus th
Mary-lou
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love reading travel journals ( strange since I don't like to travel) and I especially like those stories concerned with a spiritual journey. I loved this book. It is beautifully written and is magical in the way that Piers Moore Ede transports you to another place. I have already ordered his other book to read. There was a melancholy to my reading of this book because it really reinforced that woman in so many societies live a life which is not shown to the visitor. I was also strongly aware t ...more
Neha
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-book-shelf
The book is about the author's journey to India, Turkey and Spain in search of modern mysticism. I loved the Indian part of the journey where he meets a wide range of interesting people like an oracle and a black magic practitioner which I found really exciting. The Turkey part got a little boring at times. The author's experimentation with Ayahuasca, a vine found in the Amazon is extremely intriguing. A great book if you are interested in modern mysticism.
Russ
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Piers exploration of the mystical was an interesting read that seemed to get lost, I guess that's what happens when you don't know what you are looking for. It was on the whole well written and I thought he told his story well, I am just not sure which "meaning" he was looking for. I think he would benefit by reading 'making a world of difference' by Miles Roston. Good luck Piers.
Story❤
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literary-travel
Thought-provoking and beautifully written.
Semra Ergüden
May 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I am looking for spirituality, I found politics. it is sad to read lies about Ataturk as a turkish citizen.
Sonia Dhaliwal
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book is Very interesting, enjoyable, energetic and compelling by Piers Moore Ede for readers.
K
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, library, travel
Had me thinking. Very interesting, enjoyable and entirely apt for modern life.
Baljit
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Certainly an informative and well-researched read, especially on matters of spiritual interest. Requires deep thought to digest certain explanations.
Hana