Start by marking “It's Still Greek to Me: An Easy-To-Understand Guide to Intermediate Greek” as Want to Read:
It's Still Greek to Me: An Easy-To-Understand Guide to Intermediate Greek

It's Still Greek to Me: An Easy-To-Understand Guide to Intermediate Greek

David Alan Black has written a clever and practical refresher course for students of biblical Greek who have gotten rusty over the years, or who never really got it in the first place.
Published September 1st 1998 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about It's Still Greek to Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Still Greek to Me

Jacob Aitken
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is exactly what it advertises itself to be: it is a refresher guide to those students who have had at least two semesters of NT Greek. More importantly, though, it explains how language works. More importantly, the English language. This book could function as an English grammar. If you don’t know English, then Greek syntax will break you. To begin with, you must be willing to walk through the fire for English grammar. I write as an English teacher. This book might help you.

As noted above,
Aubrey
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this two years after taking introductory Greek, and one year after TA-ing for introductory Greek, as part of my prep for teaching a Greek-review course. I enjoyed the exercises at the end of every chapter, and I appreciated the succinct explanations of Greek grammar rules and the ways they are applied in the New Testament. It's a perfect in-between book. Helped me get my feet wet again.

Somehow it is described as funny. This is baffling to me, because it is not. But I don't need my Greek
Bill
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
I was initially looking for a condensed refresher for introductory greek, but soon discovered that this wasn't it -- I had to re-read my basic Greek textbook for that. However, once my basic grammar was a little better, this was a very helpful (and nicely succinct) guide to intermediate Greek. That means no memorisation of declensions, grammar etc, but rather a tour through all the many features of Greek grammar as they are significant for New Testament exegesis. I won't say it was a page turner ...more
Jeff
Jul 29, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a book that couldn't seem to decide whether it wanted to be a scholarly work, or a popular book for the masses. The author often surprised with a wonderful sense of humour in the midst of some at times dry technical writing, and tried to make things understandable, yet about half way through each chapter, I found he lost me as he jumped to more complicated explanations. It was an OK read, but it's not laid out as a reference book. I doubt I'll be referring to it often, though it's short ...more
Andrew
A useful intermediate Greek grammar, although at times I would have appreciated a more detailed discussion of Greek grammar at certain points so that it could serve as a better reference grammar. It provides an easy to follow grammar to advance from 1st year Greek to understanding more detailed Greek syntax such as case usages, and uses of infinitives and participles,although not as detailed as Wallace or other intermediate Greek grammars which are more thorough.
Christian Proano
Nov 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sounds weird but is a very good "introduction" to "intermediate NT Greek." In other words, a good summary for intermediate students would do good as a transitional bridge or a good handbook to refresh the studied material.
Matt Smith
Too brief, but I think that was his goal with the book.
Isaac Barton
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
The only Greek grammar book that I think I could read cover to cover. And I had to do that twice for class. Not sure how often I will go back to it if I have better grammars on hand.
Doutor Branco
Nov 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lidos-em-2016
The book seams good. Nevertheless it is very badly diagramed, lots of sentences come together mixed up without proper separation between the words. It makes a mess!
Jonathan
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book is essentially the abridged glossary to an advanced grammar, written for students of intermediate Greek who were coddled in their first year.
Josh
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
An excellent, even humorous, introduction to Greek grammar and syntax.
Alfie Mosse
Nov 20, 2011
Kelly Seely
Aug 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament & Other Early Christian Literature
  • Greek New Testament
  • A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
  • Lexical Aids for Students of New Testament Greek
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • A Grammar for Biblical Hebrew (Revised Edition)
  • The Brown-Driver-Briggs Hebrew and English Lexicon
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek Book I
  • Exegetical Fallacies
  • Basics of Biblical Hebrew Grammar
  • Interpreting the Pauline Epistles
  • Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament: Introducing the Conceptual World of the Hebrew Bible
  • German for Reading Knowledge
  • Apostolic Preaching of the Cross. Revised.
  • An Introduction to the Old Testament