Start by marking “52” as Want to Read:

52 (DC Comics Novels)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  238 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The epic follow-up to Infinite Crisis-starring the superheroes of the DC Comics universe.

Earth's greatest protectors-Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman-have vanished. The cities of Metropolis and Gotham are overrun with criminal activity both on the streets and behind the closed doors of powerful corporations as villains take advantage of the absence of superheroes.

In th
Published July 3rd 2007 by Ace Trade (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about 52, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 52

David Monroe
This is the novelization of DC Comics 52, Vol. 1 by Greg Cox, one of the best and most reliably entertaining professional Media Tie-In writers working. The original comics series, now bundled into several volumes of Trades, was a herculean yearlong series published by DC from May 2006 to May 2007.

The story takes place between the events of Infinite Crisis and the One Year Later story-lines of Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman.

"It was a year without DC's greatest heroes. There would be others to
BookMarc
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
The concept of DC Universe's novel '52' is very original in that it deals with a year in the life of earth without it's main superhero guardians...Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. It comprises of 52 chapters with each chapter dealing with the events that occur within that particular week. The focus of the novel then is actually built around characters that are not so familiar in the mainstream and, although I had my trepidations as I wasn't familiar with some of them, this turned out to be sur ...more
David
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: completed
First, let me say that the author who adapted this material did a GREAT job with it. He managed to draw wonderful word pictures with fantastic prose, solid similes, and expand on the thinking and characterization of the characters.

Sadly, the material he had to work with didn't really excite me much. First, I was unfamiliar with this particular series, and the image of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman at the top of the cover was extremely misleading. We saw absolutely no appearance of these ch
Jim C
Oct 07, 2014 rated it liked it
A novel that is set in the DC universe. This one takes place right after Infinite Crisis. Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are not around to save the day and lesser known heroes fill their shoes. This book has three different storylines that deal with Booster Gold, Batwoman, and the Question and all three storylines will intersect.

I have to first say that Greg Cox does a fantastic job with the novelization of the comic books. I am not the most ardent DC follower but I had no problem with the l
Marcus
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
How many stars does a "meh" rate?

Okay, it wasn't terrible. At times it just seemed contrived. Superman, Batman, & Wonder Woman are all out of action or otherwise engaged. Similarly, their arch nemesis are also absent (Lex Luthor, Joker, et al). It was like, "Hey, I've conveniently gotten heroes a/b/c and villans x/y/z out of the picture so now I can play with minor heroes d/e/f..."

Then you have Black Adam (from the Captain Marvel series) sharing center stage with Booster Gold (superhero from
Jeph
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I listened to 52 in Audiobook form which was an experience unto itself. 52 is a series of comic books/graphic novels in the DC universe. It immediately follows the Infinite Crisis series and follows a few choice storylines of the comic series. In 52, following the Infinite Crisis, Wonder Woman, Batman and Superman are all missing or out of action. It is left to the rookies and sub-heroes of the world to fill the shoes.

Fans of Justice League and especially Justice League Unlimited will recognize
Marzouq
Sep 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There is nothing more enticing then a book that brings out your imagination and you can't seem to put down. This is the book that brought back memories, in a world where superheroes have to fight without the powers of Superman, Wonder woman, or Batman to help. Its an amazing story that pulls you in and ties everything together, I loved it and couldn't get enough of it. This would be my book of the year.
Keith Bell
Story of what happens when the Big 3 (Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman) are not around. (Events between Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis). Good story with lots of twists (almost too many). A couple of the story lines are good enough and would have been better as separate stories all together.

COOLEST thing to come out of this though, is that I did some research on Captain Marvel Jr. and found him to have been an influence on Elvis's look. Way Cool!!
Jason
Jul 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
While some of the writing was kind of "meh" - I'll give Greg Cox major props getting 52 weeks worth of multiple comic storylines down to 1 coherent book. I have a new appreciation for the character of Black Adam as well... great story arc. I wouldn't really recommend this book for anyone who isn't a fan of DC or comics in general. Definitely an interesting experience "reading" about these characters rather than seeing them inked out, especially with such a sprawling, epic story.
Jake H.
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is overall an accurate condensation of the 52 comic book line. The characters are wonderfully written, and their arcs, especially Booster Gold's, are fantastic. The plot starts out slowly, but the tension slowly builds. The only real complaint I have is that some aspects of the story are rushed and given too little detail. Overall 52 gets 4/5 stars
Drew Perron
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: superhero-prose
The original 52 maxiseries was a fun but flawed work, with high highs and low lows. This book, understandably, had to pick and choose from the storylines of the weekly series; unfortunately, they chose to cut some of the most interesting. The result preserves most of the lows and tosses out many of the highs. It's not a bad read, but I recommend the original comics.
Scott
May 13, 2012 rated it liked it
A three-star rating solely for the fact that the "Multi-verse" is a bit beyond me. I must be too old or something. The writing was good, the story (eventually) kept me coming back to the book ... it's just difficult for me to rate a book with so many heroes whom I've never heard of. I did learn about them (through necessity) and once I did that, it helped.
Max Ostrovsky
Jun 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had comic book major story arc novelizations. Somehow (I don't remember how), this book found its way into my classroom. I wish it could have walked off before I wasted my time reading it. While better than the novelization of Infinite Crisis (chaotic and incoherent), its flaws in writing style, capturing emotion, characterization, were too overwhelming and cheap.
Earl
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The only disappointing part is that in the end of The 52, we are back to zero as if all the major events in the first 51 episodes have been rendered barely significant. Well, maybe except for Black Adam.
Matt Randall
Dec 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The thing I liked most about this book is that they didnt include the big three (Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman) instead they focused on a bunch of minor characters. Decent plot and pace throughout.
Michael
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read the 52 comic book series. Then read this. The novel does skip a few character plotlines that were in the comic book series, but again Greg Cox meshes it altogether so it is a more streamlined and enjoyable read.
Sean
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Greg Cox utilizes an INSANE vocabulary to tell one of the best stories I've read in a long, long time.
Jeremy DeBottis
Jan 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I'd read some real heavy books prior to this. It was a light action story. Just plain fun. The perfect thing to relax your brain.
Maria
Jul 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
ugh
Jeremy E. Evans
Four stars for the audiobook.
Glen
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
As always Greg Cox is awesome
Craig Leimkuehler
This book apparently so bad that I have only the vaguest memory of reading it. Apparently from my notes I said that it looked like it was slapped together on a long weekend. This is not good sign.
Mark
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
52 comes right after Infinite Crisis.
Another excellent Graphic Audio full cast DC Comics production, Part 1 & 2
Richard Rohan is the man. Best Narrator.
Ralph Chua
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Even comic books can have deep and engaging stories!
AJ Ryan
  • Spider-Man: The Secret of the Sinister Six
  • The Ultimates: Against All Enemies
  • The Further Adventures of Batman Volume 3: Featuring Catwoman
  • Wonder Woman:  Mythos
  • The Ultimates: Tomorrow Men (Marvel Classics)
  • Astonishing X-Men: Gifted Prose Novel
  • Star Trek: Ongoing, Volume 1
  • X-Men: Empire's End
  • Superman Returns
  • Justice League, Volume 6: Injustice League
  • Batman: No Man's Land

DC Comics Novels (6 books)
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths