Start by marking “Tyranny of the Urgent” as Want to Read:
Tyranny of the Urgent

Tyranny of the Urgent

Now thoroughly revised and expanded, this classic booklet by Charles E. Hummel offers ideas and illustrations for effective time management.
Published April 19th 1994 by IVP Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Tyranny of the Urgent, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Tyranny of the Urgent
Robert Logan
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No one was in more demand than Jesus. Someone who can heal will be constantly followed, mobbed, and bombarded with requests. (You think youve got problems!).

Yet at the end of Jesus earthly life, he makes an astonishing statement. Just before he goes to the cross, Jesus prays to the Father, I have accomplished the work you sent me to do (John 17:4). How could he say that while there were still so many he hadnt healed, so many still possessed by demons, so many who hadnt yet come into relationship
Jen Knapp
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the wisdom here.
Crossroads Ecc
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book encourages us to realize that we need to give priority to the important things, rather than the ones that seem so urgent. It will give you strategies for taking control of how you spend your time, and help you to align your schedule with the things you genuinely value.
Don
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Technologically dated, but principles as relevant as ever!

This is a wonderful booklet meant as a quick reference to provoke thought and give some general guidance. It is common sense in nature, and calls to your level of discipline.
Ryan Palczynski
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"P. T. Forsyth once said, 'The worst sin is prayerlessness.' Does this statement surprise us? We
usually think of murder and adultery as among the worst offenses against God and humanity. But the
root of all sin is self-sufficiency - independence from the rule of God."
Rachel
A must-read! I would recommend reading directly after the book "Priorities" by James C. Petty
Onjaleke
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very important concept for believers and time management. We need to take control of our time so that we can be better servants in the kingdom.
Shaun Marksbury
This is a re-read of a good little booklet I received with my first college class. It's extremely helpful in showing that 1) the urgent isn't always what is important to the Lord, and 2) the devotional life is far more pressing on the soul than anything else. If I could give one criticism, Hummel doesn't quite define what he means by "wait for instructions" and "wait on the Lord" (it is a short book), and this may allow for more mystical approaches to answering life's problems. Still, the book ...more
Becky
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a recovering people pleaser, what I really loved about this book is the emphasis on completing what the Father has assigned to you. Jesus did so many good things on this earth, but He "always could have done more" in each town He visited. Nevertheless, He knew when it was time to move on because He was always listening to the Father. Refusing to accept the urgent demands of people allowed Him to successfully complete the work He was truly assigned and to fulfill His purpose. Following that ...more
Chrysta Archer
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
His advice seems like common sense today, and with no credit to Stephen Covey who taught well on this in 7 Habits... And he includes some speculation on Jesus use of time. In fact, I think there could be a great case made that Jesus capitalized on the urgent quite frequently as He ministered to people.

Although, time management principles are much easier heard than applied, so I cant be too hard on this guy. For an already short book (31 pages!) it should have been shortened to a blog post.
Angela Sangalang
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening

A quick read that's easy to understand. The principle of the tyranny of the urgent is enlightening. A new perspective to consider when we feel like we don't have enough time to do what needs to be done.
Debra
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read booklet that packs a powerful punch. A must read classic for all Christians about setting priorities and managing your time. It only takes about 30 minutes to read...and I'm a slow reader.
Josh
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Solid book calling on the reader to put aside some things for the things that matter most. In order to do that, we have to be intentional, diligent, and think ahead. Short read that any busy, stressed out, or tired person could work through and instantly apply to their lives.
Ralph Bankston
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good book even for folks who are agnostic or atheist if you take out the god references and put it into your own moral framework. In this day and age with everything happening a nice read to center yourself.
Pen
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A really short introduction to the topic, but a good look at how we spend our time and a potential path for incremental change. Really easy to read through, definitely harder to put into practice.

For fans of The Ruthless Elimination of Hurry and Waiting on God by Andrew Murray
Abigail
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When we stop long enough to think about it, we realize that our dilemma goes deeper than shortage of time; it is basically a problem of priorities.... Your greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the important. ...more
Lendl Meyer
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read this booklet. Short and small, it is packed with challenge for our priorities and reliance on God. Highly recommended
Dallas
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. It was simple but informative.
Josiah Lau
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short and compact but very, very useful and helpful book. Grateful for it as it forces a drastic change in the way I view my work.
Cara Hasbrouck
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great info

It's a quick read but offers great insight into prioritizing your time. So take time to read it today, you won't regret it.
Dr.
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feel the need to reread this short book every day this month.
Dawn
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick, but powerful, read.
Erica
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing crazy new in this book but great reminders of Gods design for our lives and how to best utilize the time we have been given. Quick and easy read. ...more
Taurina
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best quick reads.
Mary Rachel Fenrick
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life changing. A quick read but so many profound thoughts.
Chris
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all have more to do than we have time. Hummel does a good job of pointing out that not everything has the same level of importance and we must evaluate carefully where we use our time.
Kristi Lowe
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
We all need to read this book once a year. Or for those of you like me, once a week!
Georgia Butterfield
A good book about doing what is important. This is a very small book, so I can't say much more without giving away too much. It's definitely a good book, inexpensive, and quick read.
Joshua Milligan
A quick guide to how you can regain control of your time in a God-centered way.
Jeffrey
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A short, succinct book that lays it out there for you in a clear and convincing way.

• The Meaning of Marriage: Facing the Complexities of Commitment with the Wisdom of God
  • Liturgy of the Ordinary: Sacred Practices in Everyday Life
  • The Marriage Builder
  • Gospel in Life Study Guide: Grace Changes Everything
  • The Missional Mom: Living with Purpose at Home  in the World
  • Be Kind to Yourself: Releasing Frustrations and Embracing Joy
  • Dream Big: Know What You Want, Why You Want It, and What You’re Going to Do About It
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place
  • Is That Really You, God?: Hearing the Voice of God
  • Behavioral Interview Questions and Answers: Q&A Framework for Successful Job Interviews
  • Ember's End (The Green Ember, #4)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind-Family, #1)
  • Bruchko: The Astonishing True Story of a 19-Year-Old American, His Capture by the Motilone Indians and His Adventures in Christianizing the Stone Age Tribe
  • Christian Assembly
  • Passion & Purpose: Believing the Church Can Still Change the World
  • Woke Church: An Urgent Call for Christians in America to Confront Racism and Injustice
  • Disquieting: Essays on Silence