Start by marking “Tyranny of the Urgent” as Want to Read:
Tyranny of the Urgent

Tyranny of the Urgent

Now thoroughly revised and expanded, this classic booklet by Charles E. Hummel offers ideas and illustrations for effective time management.
Published April 19th 1994 by IVP Books (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Tyranny of the Urgent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tyranny of the Urgent

Start your review of Tyranny of the Urgent
Don
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Technologically dated, but principles as relevant as ever!

This is a wonderful booklet meant as a quick reference to provoke thought and give some general guidance. It is common sense in nature, and calls to your level of discipline.
Crossroads Ecc
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book encourages us to realize that we need to give priority to the important things, rather than the ones that seem so urgent. It will give you strategies for taking control of how you spend your time, and help you to align your schedule with the things you genuinely value.
Rachel
A must-read! I would recommend reading directly after the book "Priorities" by James C. Petty
Onjaleke
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very important concept for believers and time management. We need to take control of our time so that we can be better servants in the kingdom.
Shaun Marksbury
This is a re-read of a good little booklet I received with my first college class. It's extremely helpful in showing that 1) the urgent isn't always what is important to the Lord, and 2) the devotional life is far more pressing on the soul than anything else. If I could give one criticism, Hummel doesn't quite define what he means by "wait for instructions" and "wait on the Lord" (it is a short book), and this may allow for more mystical approaches to answering life's problems. Still, the book t ...more
Chrysta Archer
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
His advice seems like common sense today, and with no credit to Stephen Covey who taught well on this in 7 Habits... And he includes some speculation on Jesus’ use of time. In fact, I think there could be a great case made that Jesus capitalized on the “urgent” quite frequently as He ministered to people.

Although, time management principles are much easier heard than applied, so I can’t be too hard on this guy. For an already short book (31 pages!) it should have been shortened to a blog post.
Ryan Palczynski
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"P. T. Forsyth once said, 'The worst sin is prayerlessness.' Does this statement surprise us? We
usually think of murder and adultery as among the worst offenses against God and humanity. But the
root of all sin is self-sufficiency - independence from the rule of God."
Debra
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a quick read booklet that packs a powerful punch. A must read classic for all Christians about setting priorities and managing your time. It only takes about 30 minutes to read...and I'm a slow reader.
Angela Sangalang
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enlightening

A quick read that's easy to understand. The principle of the tyranny of the urgent is enlightening. A new perspective to consider when we feel like we don't have enough time to do what needs to be done.
Dawn
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Quick, but powerful, read.
KG Lowe
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
We all need to read this book once a year. Or for those of you like me, once a week!
Erica
Jan 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Nothing crazy new in this book but great reminders of God’s design for our lives and how to best utilize the time we have been given. Quick and easy read.
Dallas
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. It was simple but informative.
Taurina
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best quick reads.
Mary Rachel
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Life changing. A quick read but so many profound thoughts.
Cara Hasbrouck
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great info

It's a quick read but offers great insight into prioritizing your time. So take time to read it today, you won't regret it.
Josiah Lau
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Short and compact but very, very useful and helpful book. Grateful for it as it forces a drastic change in the way I view my work.
Dr.
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feel the need to reread this short book every day this month.
Chris
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We all have more to do than we have time. Hummel does a good job of pointing out that not everything has the same level of importance and we must evaluate carefully where we use our time.
Lendl Meyer
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd or 4th time I've read this booklet. Short and small, it is packed with challenge for our priorities and reliance on God. Highly recommended
Robert Logan
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
No one was in more demand than Jesus. Someone who can heal will be constantly followed, mobbed, and bombarded with requests. (You think you’ve got problems!).

Yet at the end of Jesus’ earthly life, he makes an astonishing statement. Just before he goes to the cross, Jesus prays to the Father, “I have accomplished the work you sent me to do” (John 17:4). How could he say that while there were still so many he hadn’t healed, so many still possessed by demons, so many who hadn’t yet come
Hope
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anybody teenage or older
Recommended to Hope by: Rachel
Very weird book...like...really weird. But i will use a couple of Hummel's tips... This book is a "time management" kind of book. Very short. Is kinda draggy...but what do ya expect, it's a "organize your life today" book. :-)
Jonathan Brooker
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've heard of this incredibly tiny book for a while and yet hadn't gotten around to reading it. I'm so glad that now I have! While I would have loved to see it be about twice as long with some of the more practical how-to's given a chance to come out, I suppose I'd rather have a shorter book that is good the whole way through rather than one that's longer but isn't. Fortunately, because of the short length, this will be one that I go back to periodically to let it challenge my time and energy ma ...more
Tracie
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ever wonder why there are never enough hours in the day to get your to-do list completed? Maybe it's because you are letting the little, unimportant things become more urgent than they should be and they take you off track? This little book is definitely worth the short amount of time it takes to read it. It will help you think about your life and how you order the events of your day. Highly recommend this book for anyone that wants to get a grip on the reality of what it means to battle the tyr ...more
Oluwaranti Liad-Tella
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Its simple but still deep. i will definitely read it several times before the end of my earthly sojourn. Great book!
Carolyn Shepherd
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this little pamphlet when I was in college. I never forget it's short little message. We get so preoccupied by what we consider urgent, that we let those thing's which are truly important, even eternal pass us by and we don't even notice until it's too late. I determined that to the best of my ability, I was not going to live my life that way. Since then, I have given away more copies of this little booklet than I can count. It is truly important.
Kyle Rapinchuk
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a short, but quite helpful, book on our tendency to place the urgent over the important. By the end of the day, week, month, and year, we find that the urgent things have dominated our time while the important things have been neglected. Lately I have felt that this has been the case in my schedule and have vowed to make choices based on importance rather than urgency. The brief recommendations in this book look like they will prove to be helpful in that endeavor.
Dan
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book about 9 years ago when I embarked on a 2 year bible study with a group of men.
I am starting on a similar journey now and will be co-leading the group. This book is a great way to review how I spend my time and to learn how to put guidelines around what is important.

Well worth your time to read-I encourage you to do so.
Ken Horne
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
A concise reminder of how we so often allow our latest whim, or the most frequently repeated and loudest demand from the many "squeaky wheels" in our lives to distract us from those things that have real value and importance. Hummels provides a simple formula for reassessing our priorities and developing a plan to maximize the likelihood that we stay focused on those things of real significance.
Adam Calvert
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
A great short book on time management. Hummel helps the reader differentiate between important matters and "urgent" matters, while giving practical advice on how to appropriate one's time toward one or the other.

If you struggle with time management, I highly recommend this short read.

• God's Armor Bearer
  • Kingdom Calling: Vocational Stewardship for the Common Good
  • Resolving Everyday Conflict
  • A Wolf Story
  • The Marriage Builder
  • Margin: Restoring Emotional, Physical, Financial, and Time Reserves to Overloaded Lives
  • The Complete Green Letters
  • A Survey of the Old Testament
  • The Gospel: How the Church Portrays the Beauty of Christ
“Your greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the important.” 7 likes
“There is an insidious tendency to neglect important tasks that do not have to be done today—or even this week.” 5 likes