Start by marking “Blood Born (Vampire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Born (Vampire, #1)

Blood Born

(Vampire #1)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  2,622 Ratings  ·  249 Reviews
When the human and the vampire worlds collide, there will be hell to pay.

Luca Ambrus is a rare breed: vampire from birth, begotten by vampire parents, blood born. He is also an agent of the Council--the centuries-old cabal that governs vampirekind, preserving their secrecy and destroying those who betray them.

When a cryptic summons leads him to the scene of the brutal kill
Published April 27th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2010)

Jilly
Jul 20, 2018 rated it liked it
As far as Vampire Paranormal Romances go, it was fine. The characters were interesting enough, the world was cool, there was action. But, there was too much repetition. You would read about something like why she had a deep-seated fear of balloons (globaphobia - it's a thing), and then a few pages later, or in the next chapter, you would have to read the same thing told over again as if it was new. It felt like when you are talking to an old person and they tell you the same story over and over ...more
Alp
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I must admit it took me several months to finish reading this book. Not because it was awful or boring or anything, but because I initially had a trouble getting into the story. The first chapter didn’t pull me into the book instantly and I found myself struggling with the way the story was told at the beginning. I tried to continue reading, but every time I picked it up, I ended up falling asleep after only a few pages.

But fortunately, around the 15% mark, I felt like the book and I just really
Shannon C.
May 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm a big paranormal romance/urban fantasy fan and I've enjoyed some of Linda Howard's mainstream romance books previously. So when I saw she had written something in the paranormal genre, I thought it'd be a slam dunk. I was disappointed. The book was slow and boring. It's one of those books where the authors do the world building as data dumps of information, explaining everything to the reader instead of letting the information build more naturally during action and dialogue. And the the sett ...more
Paige  Bookdragon
Jun 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, read-2015
description

You know it's a terrible night when you dnf-ed your favorite author's work.

As much as I liked the story line of this book- a hot executioner vampire protecting a human to some rogue assassins which are also blood suckers- I have to let this one go. This one has too much explanations that I find myself skipping some pages. And what's the point of reading a book if you'll just skip some parts of it?

description
Naksed
Feb 21, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: vampires
One of the quickest DNFs at just 15%. Too much info dump and lackluster, cliche writing. Honestly, why bother writing a vampire story if you are just going to be using the same old tropes of the genre?
Mojca
A war is brewing.
A faction of rebels among the vampire society are determined to gain the upper hand the vampires should've always had, lead the world with humans as mere food source.

And the rebels have quite a good shot at world domination. They're systematically killing those humans selected as conduits to call immortal warriors to war from "the other side". Render the humans completely defenseless and you can rule the world. Add to it the possible breaking of the sanctuary spell that prevents
Yvonnesaprincess
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Megan
Shelves: vampire-romance
A fantastic read, great plot. lots of action. The main Character is a rare blood born vampire who is two thousand years old and very powerful. Lucas Ambrus is an agent of a vampire council that governs vampirekind. He helps them preserve their secrecy and destroys any who betray them.

His good friend is killed and he uncovers a sinister conspiracy of rogue vampires bent on taking over the earth and enslaving humans. Chole Fallon is a conduit and a target because she can bring forth the spirit war
Bridget
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Luca, a sexy beast who was born a vampire, works for the Council. This group polices his kind to make sure that their secrets will remain safely hidden from the human world.

When a Council leader has been slayed by none other than a vampire, Luca sets out to find and destroy the one responsible. If only things could be that simple. There is more going on with some of the Council members than meets the eye. In an attempt to change the way vampire's have lived in the past, a group of rogue vampires
Smokinhotbooks K.C.
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uf
Read Full Review Here

blood born: most powerful vampire that exists – naturally born from two vampires

warriors: immortal fighters that exist on a different plane, sent via a conduit to save the human race from slavery

conduits: human descendants from warriors and the only way for warriors to enter the human realm. Fiercely hunted down by rebel vampires and killed.

Disclaimer: I’ve been a huge Linda Howard fan since I first read Dream Man; when I received Blood Born for review (a new “UF” book) I
Gamatst
This could have been a very good book. If you could take out the annoying repetitiveness that wastes many a page, and the interminable inner monologues between almost every sentence uttered by any of the characters, there is some promise underneath.

Some very interesting world building and good characters to carry a series with if they would just have some conversations to bring the various aspects and personalities out instead of the info dumping that goes on and on.

Chole has a great personality
Aarann
My main problem with this book is an extension of my problem with the majority of Linda Howard's more recent publications: too much time spent on ancillary characters. This book seemed like it was even worse than most of hers (and that includes "Prey" where we got quality time inside the head of a homicidal bear). In fact, this book felt almost entirely like filler. I would estimate I got about 40% of the book with the characters on the back of the book, Chloe and Luca, and the remainder of the ...more
Kathleen
Too slow. Not on par for Linda Howard. Despite the paranormal edge, not as engrossing as Dream Man or Son of the Morning. Narration by Vanessa Hart is great, but she had doubtful material to work with. If only an editor had cut 150 pages.

This plot has promise, and I liked the lead couple, but...a frustrating listening experience. With two authors, everything was repeated to the point of annoyance, at least 4x (as if I'm too stupid to remember that Luca can tolerate the sun, or that nobody has e
Alexis-Morgan Roark
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
A vampire book for adults! Sorry, I'm just so sick of the whole "Twilight" thing going on now.

Anyway, wow! This was a new take on an old theme. Good guys, bad guys, "sex and blood." What scene, by the way. This was the only part of the book that bothered me. Then, I thought about it, and well, okay. There were feelings there already.

Luca is hot. Chloe is real, funny, and very likable. She doesn't whine, but does what needs to get done with insights into her inner struggle.

I must admit, however,
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: paranormal romance fans
The battle between good and evil has taken a new twist. There is rebellion brewing within the ruling vampire council, and humans may end up as just so much cannon fodder. An apolitical executioner of rogue vampires ends up in the middle, and does not want to experience feelings for the human woman he is guarding, whose finite life will leave him alone at its end. The plot is fantastic, the characters intriguing, and the action is fast-paced. I don't want to wait a year for the sequel, but I gues ...more
Jolene
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The romance wasn't a huge factor in this book, it was there, but so many other things were going on. It was fast paced and I found myself not wanting to put it down. A different take on the vampire world. There were a few things in this book that reminded me of other series by other authors. I didn't really mind, I still loved it and can't wait to read the next one in this series
Beth
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, romances
I've never read a Linda Howard book before, but I love Linda Winstead Jones, so I picked this up right away. I'm not sorry I did - this book has all the touches of LWJ's best books: interesting world, strong characters and plot, and the promise of more to come. I love how the bad guys win some in her books - it makes it that much more satisfying when the good guys come out on top!
Gina
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: paranormal romance lovers
Deborah Ideiosepius
Chloe is a normal 'gal, working studying and doing what normal people do, but recently she has been having dreams and is scared she is going crazy.

Because that is apparently what normal people (or all the ones in this novel at least) think when they have dreams or visions: "Oh, I must be going crazy" not, for example "Oh, I am having dreams and visions, that's interesting, I wonder why?" or "I am having dreams.... not to worry, they are only dreams.". Well, that boat has long sailed, it seems t
Jess the Romanceaholic
The cliffhanger ending irritated me, though technically, since it's the setup for a series, I guess I should have been expecting it? *shrugs* I guess I didn't realize it was a series in the making until the last chapter and nothing was wrapped up other than Luca and Chloe's relationship.

I really like Linda Winstead Jones' addition to the Raintree series (Linda Howard's was good, but left me wanting -- again with the cliffhanger lol), so I was really looking forward to their collaboration.

I liked
Cindi
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Blood Born is a joint-venture between Linda Howard and Linda Winstead Jones ("Witchling"), and I thought it was a good merger between the two. There was enough action and tension to keep my attention, the characters were definitely engaging and the worldbuilding was authentic-feeling. Semi-original premise, great storyline, good set up for the next installment which is coming in 2011.

I probably should rate this book a 3.5, however, because there were several instances where something would jump
Linda
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge
Kseniya Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Sin Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
I read a lot of romance books by Linda Howard, and wasn't surprised when she decided to start with the Vampire theme. Afterall, the whole vampire topic is so hot lately! Firstly, I'm so grateful to this book, because it actually introduced me to the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by JR Ward. Unfortunately after reading those, I can only give it a 4 star.
Blod Born is written in true Linda Howard's style, some very passionate steamy scenes, and Luca.... Oh Luca, he's just so yummie... All in all
Kathy Davie
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, paranormal
First in the Vampire paranormal romance series.

Warrior Rising was to be published in Spring of 2011 and the publishers have chosen not to go ahead, so I'm guessing that this first installment didn't do well.

My Take
A bit cold, detached...I really can't put my finger on what is so different about this story. Possibly, the lack of heat between the major protagonists as well as the agonizing process involved in the Warriors contacting their conduits. It seems like one heckuva lotta work for a human
Paraphrodite
Sep 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened, 2018
3 stars.

It's been quite a while since I've read this and I couldn't remember why I gave it a 2 stars. Having revisited the book as an audiobook, I still find the book a bit messy. There are too many points of views and at times, the jumping around got quite confusing when listening.

Probably my major gripe is with Sorin, the wannabe vampire queen's right-hand man. (view spoiler)
Tetty Marlinda
#13 for 2018
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Epicbookaddict
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This story starts with much potential. A 2000+ yr. old vampire assassin (Luca), a cute levelheaded female protagonist with a heart condition (Chloe), kidnapped witch who didn’t know she was a witch (Nevada) until she was kidnapped by rogue vampires and immortal warriors that potentially drive their ‘conduits’ crazy until they can learn their name and ‘call’ them from their plain of existence….whew!

I was very interested in the overall story but as you can imagine with this many characters there a
Anna
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
A war is brewing. Vampires, Warriors and humans will all play a roll. Luca is blood born meaning he was born from two vampires. He works as the assassin of the Vampire Council. When the Council leader calls telling him to come in there is trouble is on it's way, he never thought that it would lead him straight to Chloe Fallon.

While I had heard of both Linda Howard and Linda Jones, they were still new authors to me. So I was excited to read this one and see what their take on vampires was like. I
Cardyn Brooks
As the setup novel to introduce a new series, I enjoyed Blood Born. The reconfiguring of vampire lore is fresh and interesting. The battling factions of supernatural creatures versus humans is intense as a backdrop for the development of Chloe and Luc's personal relationship.

So disappointed that the series has been suspended, probably abandoned, since most other vampire series are so predictable.
Julie
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I picked up this book I wasn't sure what to expect. I was very pleased with this book. It was vastly different from other Linda Howard books I read. I got pulled into this book and enjoyed the ride. Luca was a yummy hero to read about and other characters stood out and grabbed my attention as well.. I can't wait to see if there is more to this story.. I sense a series coming.
Susanne
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
There was soooo much boring background info/world building that I thought the story would never start rolling. The only reason I didn't quit reading it was because Linda Howard's writing normally grabs me right away and I usually love her books. I won't read the next book in the series. Overall, this book was "meh".
  • Enemy Lover (L.O.S.T #1)
  • Beauty and the Badge (The Precinct, #11)
  • Touch of Seduction (Primal Instinct, #4)
  • Vampire Vendetta (Vampire #2)
  • When Blood Calls (The Shadow Keepers, #1)
  • Time Without End (Vampire, #3)
  • Chains of Ice (The Chosen Ones #3)
  • Embrace the Night Eternal (Envy Chronicles, #2)
  • Stealing Kathryn (Gatherers, #2)
  • Blood Secrets (Valorian Chronicles #1)
  • Dark Of The Moon (Vampire/Werewolf Trilogy, #2)
  • Sins of the Heart (The Sins Series, #1)
  • Shadow of the Vampire
  • Any Way You Want It (New Orleans Vampires, #1)
  • Wild Instinct (Wild, #4-6)
  • Seducing the Vampire
  • Devoured By Darkness / When Darkness Comes / Embrace the Darkness
  • Dust to Dust (Prophecy, #1)

Linda S. Howington is an American best-selling romance author writing under the pseudonym Linda Howard. After 21 years of penning stories for her own enjoyment, she submitted a novel for publication which was very successful. Her first work was published by Silhouette in 1982. She is a charter member of Romance

Vampire (2 books)
  • Warrior Rising (Vampire, #2)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire's Touch (The Sinclairs, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Ordinary Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Forbidden Billionaire (The Sinclairs, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Surviving Girls (Hidden Sins, #3)
  • The Boy I Hate
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Dirt on Ninth Grave (Charley Davidson, #9)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Dark Instincts (The Phoenix Pack, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Every Little Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Girls of Mischief Bay (Mischief Bay, #1)
  • Happy All the Time
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Cut (The Bourbon Kings, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
“You don't just... just float someone in the air like that!" she shouted, so beside herself she was almost frenzied.
"Why? Is there some human law against it?”
0 likes
“Hurry," Hector urged, and his voice changed as his power surged, his tone and cadence sliding into the rhythm that said he was seeing the future. "Battle is in the air. I smell it. I can almost touch it. Death is coming Death is coming for us." With a click, the call disconnected.” 0 likes