Start by marking “Magic: 1400s–1950s” as Want to Read:
Magic: 1400s–1950s

Magic: 1400s–1950s

Magic has enchanted humankind for millennia, evoking terror, laughter, shock, and amazement. Once persecuted as heretics and sorcerers, magicians have always been conduits to a parallel universe of limitless possibility – whether invoking spirits, reading minds, or inverting the laws of nature by sleight of hand. Long before science fiction, virtual realities, video games ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Taschen (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic

JBP
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
If I could give this book ten stars I would, so wonderful this collection of magic related material is. This isn't a small book, it's one of the over sized Taschen books and when I say over sized, I'm not kidding around--it's massive! Which only adds to the books appeal, as the full-color lithographs collected in this are mind-blowing and gorgeous as the complete history of magic is given loving treatment. The posters and photographs are the stars of Magic: 1400s-1950s, with short histories on d ...more
Nostalgia Reader
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-gallery
3 stars for the essays, 4.5 stars for the presentation of the posters and photographs.
jesse
Oct 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2017
I'm a visual creature by nature which isn't something particularly singular I admit. Were I to rate the book solely for it's ability to make me eyegasm at every page it would get plenty of awards, but geez did it make me angry, frustrated and delighted at turns the further I skimmed.

Let's take those chapter pages for example: the book designer did an incredible job choosing beautiful vintage patterns and design elements for those.

The images in this book depict adverts and illustrations from th
Fraser Sherman
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great history of the stage magician's craft, covering the major names (with particular focus on the golden age of the early 20th century — Houdini gets his own chapter), the famous tricks (sawing a lady in half, mind-reading, levitation and the once definitive "cup and balls" stunt) and the changes in magic as they adapt to new venues such as music halls, vaudeville, movies and TV. Beautifully illustrated with photos and posters.
David L.
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating history of magic in the theater augmented by illustrations and photographs. The book itself looks like a magic book. Definitely recommend!
P.S. Winn
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A look into the different aspects of magic. This is an intriguing journey into magic and all it entails, a few of those ideas may surprise readers.
Julian Walker
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful history of magic and illusion through the centuries. A gloriously illustrated and beautifully written coffee table book – this is no light reading but its stature is matched by its engagement – I defy anyone with an interest in entertainment not to enjoy it.

From some of the most famous characters in the illusion business, to many of the more obscure performers, this book has the lot and is an absolute encyclopaedia of information – although written in an engaging and interest
Michael Kelly
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A glorious, huge, hefty, large format volume detailing the history of stage magic and its performers from the 1400s to the 1950s.

It has some great essays in there, but the real meat and value of this enormous book is the sheer quantity of fantastic illustrations. These range from photographs of magicians at work to the glorious, gorgeous posters they had produced to advertise their performances.

A colourful, inspiring and fascinating volume.
Rebecca
I requested this book from OSU because it seemed like a great Taschen book I hadn't seen. Little did I realize that it's more coffee table than coffee table book. It's huge!! Its size almost impedes its use, but that really highlights the best part: the vintage posters and playbills and their wonderful visual storytelling.
Jonathan
Jul 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Not a book to read in bed: you won't be able to hold it up long enough. Beautiful to look at and well worth the money.
Ryan Jones
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
great read and awesome book.
Steve
  • Cards as Weapons
  • Modern Coin Magic
  • The Royal Road to Card Magic
  • Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
  • The Turk: The Life and Times of the Famous Eighteenth-Century Chess-Playing Machine
  • Magical Mathematics: The Mathematical Ideas That Animate Great Magic Tricks
  • Pictorial Webster's: A Visual Dictionary of Curiosities
  • The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play with Your Food
  • Hieronymus Bosch: Complete Works (XXL)
  • Beyond the Dark Veil: Post Mortem & Mourning Photography from the Thanatos Archive
  • Folklore and Symbolism of Flowers, Plants and Trees