Start by marking “A Heart so Wild (Straton Family #1)” as Want to Read:
A Heart so Wild (Straton Family #1)

A Heart so Wild

(Straton Family #1)

Courtney Harte is certain her missing father is a alive, lost somewhere deep in Indian territory. But she needs a guide to lead her safely through this dangerous, unfamiliar country, someone as wild and unpredictable as the land itself. And that man is the gunslinger they call Chandos.

Courtney fears this enigmatic loner whose dark secrets torture his soul, yet whose eyes,
Published December 1st 1986 by Avon (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about A Heart so Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Heart so Wild

Start your review of A Heart so Wild (Straton Family #1)
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
MINI REVIEW:

I just realized I had A Heart So Wild on my Kindle and since I hadn't read it in 25 years why not give it a re-read? And you know what? I loved this book more the second time than the first.

Why?

-Heroine & hero "meet" when the heroine is getting sexually assaulted by an outlaw, and hero shoots the bad guy dead.
-Enigmatic hero with a mysterious and tragic past.
-The heroine needs a gunslinger to guide her through hostile Indian territory to find her missing father.
-Hero fights, beats,
Zeek
Guilty Pleasure #1

His Native American family brutally murdered during an unwarranted attack, Chandos encounters a young woman staying with the man known to be one of the murderers. Her life in his hands, he nevertheless sets her free, intuitively sensing her innocence. Four years later and he’s still hunting down the rest of the men involved that day- and Courtney Hart once again has managed to cross his path. However she has no idea the history they have together and though he wants nothing of
MBR
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Johanna Lindsey and fans of historical romances set in the American-Western.
I remember reading a book by Johanna Lindsey a very long time back. And though I don't actively pursue each and every book that she writes, nevertheless I remember Ms. Lindsey to have the ability to spin a good historical romance with enough passion between the characters to stir up one's insides. A Heart So Wild is a romance that gets recommended quite often on Amazon discussion forums and I finally decided to find out what makes this book of the American-Westeran genre a favorite of so many ro ...more
Duchess Nicole
A great example of why Lindsey is such an amazing Historical romance author....her heroes are typical of the bodice rippers, but not quite as brutal. Her romance takes center stage but the secondary plot is engaging as well. It's a wild trek through a wild land. A somewhat innocent heroine, a savage and untamed Indian. He's a chest beater, she's got a stubborn streak and is on a mission. Great choice!
Kathleen
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
A classic in Native American historical romance genre. Why isn't it available via Audible? Duh! I'd like a male narrator: Petkoff, Griffith, etc
Jenny
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyable book but I wanted a good epilogue the way it ended was lame.
Regan Walker
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first of two novels about the Stratton family in 19th century Texas. At that time, Texas was a rough place bringing together gunmen, cowboys, ranchers and Indians. Many who had lived through the destruction of the Civil War looked to the West for a better life. Courtney Harte's father, a doctor and a Southerner (who ended up on the North's side), was one of them. Now disillusioned, he decides to move to Texas. On the way there, in Kansas, they are attacked by Comanches seeking vengea ...more
Chumchum_88
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recently one of my friends in GoodReads recommended Johanna Lindsey To me, and this is my first novel by her, and I have to say I liked it ^^

Honestly, at first I got confused because the first couple of chapters didn't involve the main characters much, for a bit I was like "Am I reading the right book?" But then I started to understand, when events started to explain themselves.

I liked the main characters, Courtney "Cat eyes" started off timidly at first, but during the journey and 24/7 presence
Susan
Sep 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow - what a story! This is truly one of those 'old school' romances we all grew up with and love so well! It had alot of action, adventure and was quite gritty in some parts. You don't see that much with all the Regency romances around. Made for a nice change.

The heroine was an innocent at the beginning, though pretty smart and logical, but by book end she was really able to stand on her own two feet and express just how she felt about everything.

The hero was damaged, one of those angst kinda g
KC
I wanted to love this because of the serious subject matter, but just ended up liking it. In a welcome change, A Heart So Wild was darker in tone than the typical Johanna Lindsey romance. This change also added credibility to the setting, the Wild West. As much as I sympathized with Chandos' quest, I found it difficult to connect with him because he was a bit too mysterious and brooding. (view spoiler) ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
One of Ms. Lindsey's better reads. I can't really put my finger on why I loved it. I just did. It has the alpha, protective hero and the "helpless" heroine. Not that helpless is good. It's not, really, but she was a city girl out of her element so I forgive her.
❆ Crystal ❆
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, g-early-america
If you can get past the first 2 chapters this is an amazing book. There is some seriously tragic events in the beginning but you need to know to understand the characters. I would highly recommend this book and the book that follows.
Juuli
Well, I liked and at the same time didn't like the story. It was interesting to follow Courtney's growth as a person but the hero of the story was despicable. I didn't like his way of thinking and the way he treated Courtney was awful. He was a mean bully.
Kathy Davie
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one I read over and over again for its romance and the Western flavor.
Nisha
I am coming to the realization that I really like JL's western romances. This series (pair of books, really), I read out of order, but it didn't really matter. It was highly satisfying.

The story takes place from Kansas to Texas (which made it even more enjoyable since I live in Texas and pass by Waco all the time). The beginning is tragic as we witness the rape and murder of a peaceful Comanche tribe. My heart was bleeding at this point. When our hero and the other men return to the camp to see
Mary B.
Way too bodice-rippery for my taste. Characters were flat. A thoroughly grunting/possessive hero and a ridiculously immature heroine. Can't even give a two-star for courtesy. I stopped reading in earnest at about 60% through and skimmed the rest.
France
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
yes again and every time: I LOVE CHANDOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More than an Alfa male.
Kat Desi
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think this is the 3rd time I read this novel! Definitely one of my favorite Johanna Lindsey novels!
Christine (KizzieReads)
I love the wild west historicals. So back to basics. Courtney, her father and his wife are on their way to build a life in Waco, Texas when they are attacked by Indians hellbent on revenge. Not on them, but on the people who's house they were staying at. She thinks her father is dead, so her stepmother start anew in Kansas, until Courtney sees an old newspaper with what looks like her father in a picture. She hires Chandos to take her to Texas to find her father, and things go on from there. She ...more
Eva Navarro
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relectura 😍
Bianca Chiriac Suciu
I am in the minority here BUT i can't rate any higher a book where the hero slaps the heroine and where reluctance ( She actually shouted NO and the hero stil did't stop) is considered consent.
Kim
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kim by: Valia
This book was an entertaining read, where the plot was simple, but beautifully and effortlessly written. The story tells us about a young girl, who was lost her father, the only person she loved in the entire world, due to very unfortunate circumstances. Alone, lost, and burdened with a stepmom (oh the irony), she takes up a shit job as a hotel maid with pay so low that should she be in this current world, she would have been labelled as unemployed. Four years later, she stumbles across her fath ...more
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: paperback, 2003
just re-read this and snickered and giggled and rolled my eyes a lot.

"That angelic-looking killer is going to rape me and you ask me what's wrong?" -- snicker

She decided that "God Sakes" (always double capitalized) was a good Western/Ladylike curse and that's what Courtney says. A LOT. rolls eyes. Until near the end she decides she can let slip an occasional "goddam"

Chandos (whose White name is Kane Straton and whose Comanche name we never learn) insists on calling Courney "cateyes" and even th
Karen
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Courtney must be the unluckiest woman around. She was timid from constant criticism craving father's attention, constantly had her life threatened, kidnapped a few times, several attempted rapes & she fell for a mean gunslinger who only had room for revenge in his heart.

Chandos was estranged from his father, angry at the brutality of his mother, sister and adoptive family's deaths and made it his life mission to avenge their murders.

This is not an easy read as drunken louts set off a cascade of
Pravana
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cowboy-western
Liked Zeek's review.

this para summarises the book beautifully
"Along the way she moves from being his burden (someone has to take care of the headstrong greenhorn), to his tormentor (the skin tight pants she inadvertently buys), his lover, to his greatest weakness. Meanwhile he must stay on the bloody path he had set for himself- avenge the slaughter of his mother and half sister."
Joanne
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: johanna-lindsey
I wasn't sure at the begining but the book gradually improved and I loved the ending!
Lucie "a heart so wild"
This book has everything I need and imagine in a most romantic romanceee...

Simply THE BEST of all...
Victoria
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
The Sleeping Fox
I really enjoyed 'Angel' by the same author at the beginning of this year and I have since started consuming western historicals like a starved person.

After finishing AHSW, and reflecting upon the plot, it almost feels like nothing much happens. Sure, Courtney seeks her father out in Waco, and Chanos hunts down his family's vile killers - but it's fairly straight forward. I didn't feel much depth nor danger or even invested overly in whether Courtney would find her father.

Courtney came across as
Heather
All time favorite! I love a cocky strong alpha hero

I love Chandos so much in this novel. It starts off with Courtney and her family being attached by vengeful Chomaches looking for the men who killed and rape thier women. She is left unharmed by Chandos and separated from her father for a few years when they think each other is dead. When she sees her father in a Waco paper she is determined enough to ask a Gunfighter who helped her with a handsy roughneck the day before. She is immediately draw
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Cherish
  • Only Mine (Only Series, #2)
  • Sing My Name
  • Comanche Moon (Comanche, #1)
  • Only His (Only Series, #1)
  • Keegan's Lady (Keegan-Paxton #1)
  • A Lady of the West (Western Ladies, #1)
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • Dancing on Coals
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • Conor's Way
  • Without Words
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • Texas Glory (Texas Trilogy, #2)
  • Always to Remember
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
  • Into the Light (Sutton Family, #2)
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom

Straton Family (2 books)
  • All I Need Is You (Straton Family, #2)