Jump to ratings and reviews

Post-Rapture Radio: Lost Writings from the Failed Revolution at the End of the Last Century

In "Post-Rapture Radio," our faithful narrator finds a mysterious box containing the sermons and journal entries of a genuine, unvarnished American character the Reverend Richard Lamblove. The little-known Lamblove-tried and failed-to revolutionize contemporary Christian culture. As his journal entries, cereal box scribblings, and random notes written on paper scraps reveal, Lamblove sees contemporary culture as shallow, overly individualistic, and consumed with the kind of status measured by money, power, and celebrity. And American Evangelicalism--which has been integrated into the culture as a whole--has similar failings. Reverend Lamblove vanished without a trace, but Russell Rathbun has "compiled" his papers into a compelling critique of contemporary faith an antidote to faith-as-usual and a wakeup call for Christians to genuinely respond to the gospel.

208 pages, Hardcover

3 books2 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
3 (7%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for Katherine Willis Pershey.
Author 3 books134 followers
April 12, 2009
One of the strangest books I've ever read. I highly recommend it, especially for preachers and evangelical Christians. It's sort of making me question things I've believed (and preached) but not for the reasons I would have ever thought I would. That's oblique, isn't it? Well, so is this book. Very postmodern. And did I mention strange? I couldn't put it down.

I really, really want to visit House of Mercy, the church in St. Paul, Minnesota where Russell Rathbun and Debbie Blue are founding pastors.
Profile Image for Tim.
1,232 reviews
October 26, 2010
This book alternates between the profoundly challenging and the annoying and stupid in its comments and critiques of the modern evangelical church (the Contemporary Christian Culture Conspiracy). Its format (the rambling writings of a mad/prophetic pastor being sifted through by the author as editor) gives room for cleverness to break through, but not as often as it should. Too often the format in fact drags everything down around it. But passages like this do emerge: "This passage in Luke [4:14-30] is the decisive reiteration of God's purpose in the world, spoken by the incarnation of God. And it is not about you. It is about something God is doing. And God will continue doing it whether you are part of it or not. God's plan for the reorientation of the world does not depend on your personal decision."
Profile Image for Peter.
271 reviews13 followers
February 2, 2014
I enjoyed this, the first 2/3 better than the finish. Possibly at the risk of sounding blasphemous ( to Kurt) the writing style reminds me of K Vonnegut ( Post modernism be upon him ) , doesn't quite go the full Bokonon alas. A polemic by stealth against fundamentalist Christianity while presenting a hint of a very liberal and relatively harmless variant . A withering attack via a humorous Pomo approach, yet done in playful amusing way. a liberal xian will perhaps find this a real treat , at least if they ok with a post modernist painting. Fundamentalist Christians might have their heads explode, agnostics might happily enjoy it while eponymously admitting they don't know.
three and a half stars from me.
Profile Image for Chad Benkert.
18 reviews7 followers
July 9, 2016
I can't imagine reading this book without having read the introduction, I would have been so confused. All I can say is I couldn't put the book down once I started reading it.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.