Start by marking “Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers” as Want to Read:

When teaching reading, American classrooms often focus exclusively on skills instruction. But how can you teach the "how" without the "why?" In his new book, Igniting a Passion for Reading, Steve Layne shows teachers how to develop readers who are not only motivated to read great books, but also love reading in its own right. Packed with practical ways to engage and inspir ...more
Published December 11th 2009 by Stenhouse Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Igniting a Passion for Reading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Igniting a Passion for Reading

Start your review of Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers
Michelle
I enjoyed the book, but I felt that it was really directed to classroom teachers. As a homeschooler, many of the author's strategies would seem odd. (I only homeschool 1 kid... maybe if I had a bunch, I would feel differently)

Overall, I like the writing style, and I was able to take away some tips to encourage the "will" to read, but the classroom audience of the book made it less helpful to me.
Terry
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teaching-english
This is the book I could have written about reading. If I were funny. And really smart. Layne is warm and funny and persuasive in this passionate argument for reading in schools. I plowed through it on-line at Stenhouse, and now I'm off to order a paper copy to fill with highlighter and notes. Takes on similar material as Readicide, focusing more on elementary and middle school students.

So why the four stars for the most enjoyable professional book I've read in a while? While thoroughly enjoyabl
Kyla
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I believe that some of the best writers are/were teachers-Dr. Layne included. Dr. Layne writes with experience and a sense of humor. He goes into detail about his experiences fostering the love of reading in students. He gives examples and suggestions that are of enough detail to incorporate them into your own classroom. I am so eager to start a RELODIT committee at my school! While reading this book, I recommend keeping post-it notes near by to mark pages/ideas that stand out to you. I can't wa ...more
Priscilla Perez
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
It provides some good strategies to help kids develop a love for reading, getting to know what books students enjoy ( self- assessments), doing book chats to kids excited n learn titles of books, read alouds to allow students who don't enjoy reading, some time to enjoy listening to one, and more strategies to help students grow with their interactions with books. It also talk about having a book lounge as a room in a school, love this idea. A room where students can get comfortable and enjoy rea ...more
Michelle Cristiani
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: literacy-work
Good essays on k-12 ideas for reading groups/areas/clubs/chats. The essays tend more to the personal than the practical, so that specific steps are not shown as often as anecdotes about what worked in one community. Also many of these require resources beyond a teacher: PTA/administration funding, physical space outside a classroom, etc.

My favorite was the idea of a golden shelf where students can leave their favorite books and take others from the shelf. Encouraging sharing with peers is a gre
Anna
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This text along with Kelly Gallagher's "Readicide" and Donalyn Miller's "The Book Whisperer" has become the centerpiece of my 9th grade summer school curriculum. Dr. Layne offers a convincing rationale for incorporating recreational reading into the classroom. His chapters on conducting an interest inventory, reading aloud, reading with students and book discussions were particularly relevant. His appendices which include great magazines and fillable forms were especially welcome.
Beth Wisniewski
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a splendid, inspirational and yet grounded in reality! I would love to read more from Dr. Layne in the future if I end up feeling as gung-ho afterwards!!! Great book and a must read for teachers, library staff and parents alike!!
Laura Hoyler
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me so many great ideas for teaching reading in the classroom! I have already implemented a few and the kids are very excited about them. GREAT read!
Alyson
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Alyson by: Shannon Johns
Reading this book nearly made me want to be an elementary school teacher rather then a librarian. Just not quiet. ;) I would love to have been one of the author's students. He shares what worked for him in the classroom to promote reading, a long with copies of all of his handouts. This book is a great resource for elementary school teachers who would like ideas for promoting reading in their classrooms. I took a lot of note in the margins as I read. I also appreciated the research he shared tha ...more
Risa
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers, lovers of reading, teachers
It is amazing how something that started out as a reading assignment for school can become so much more than that. I picked up a copy of Igniting a Passion for Reading: Successful Strategies for Building Lifetime Readers for two reasons: 1) I have always been a reader, a lover of books, and someone who cannot for the life of me understand why anyone in their right mind would not want to read, and 2) I had to choose a book to read for class. Mostly, it was for the first reason, though.

As someon
Elisa
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book offers plenty of ideas for how to combat aliteracy. It’s the perfect book study book to use with our Lemme Reader Profiles grant funded by the ICCSD Foundation which focuses on targeting students’ interests and motivation to read.
Ruth Ann
Jun 27, 2010 rated it liked it
I totally agree with the main message of the book . . . when teaching kids to read, schools need to teach "the will" in addition to "the skill". I can tell by the tone of the book I would like to be in his classroom, either as a child or as a college student in a literature class. My favorite ideas were to establish a reading lounge or create a once-a-month cafe. On a smaller scale, I liked being reminded that as a teacher I should constantly be promoting literacy and generating excitement about ...more
Evonne
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a high school English Language Arts teacher I often tell people that if it can be done in elementary school it can be adapted for high school, especially if it's about reading or writing. This book is a good example.

Each chapter talks about Steven Layne's strategies for getting his elementary students reading. But I used sticky notes and covered the whole book in ideas for adapting his ideas to a high school classroom.

Now, armed with a dozen new ideas, and a dozen adaptations of old ideas, I'
Allie
Totally inspirational. Since starting this book I've used so many of the ideas (someday reading list, reading inventory, "I thought of you") and I definitely have spent a lot of time thinking about how to get kids fired up about reading. There are definitely some ideas here that are far more applicable to teachers than librarians, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who works with kids.
Tenille Shade
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
I now have a "Mrs. Shade's Hot Read" sign hanging over my desk. If you liked the Book Whisperer, you'll love this book about the affective domain of reading. I am so glad Mrs. Barnes recommended I read this, and more importantly, I thank her for ignighting a passion for reading in my life!
Mary O'neill
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Attended a conference of his and it was wonderful and inspiring. This book has lots of ideas for language arts/library media professionals.
Kris Patrick
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
A non- school librarian who advocates for classroom teacher-school librarian collaboration!
Tahni
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
What really stood out about this book for me was that the author makes a point of being humorous and personable. You get a definite sense of who the author is as a person, and the result is that the book is actually pretty fun to read, and quite a bit more engaging than a lot of books on this subject can be.

With that out of the way, this book also offers a lot of practical strategies for getting kids engaged in reading. This isn't a book on theoretical principals -- it guides educators through s
Hailey
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Igniting a Passion For Reading is a book aimed at sparking the love for reading amongst children as well as to promote the importance of reading so that they continue their love for reading well after elementary school and middle school. I like how Steven Layne included a lot of useful worksheets and activities for teachers to use for their students in understanding what motivates a child to read and what keeps that motivation high. The usage of incorporating real teacher stories made the book a ...more
Mary
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a fun read to inspire our reading culture at home. It is not a homeschooling book and is aimed mainly at teachers but I was inspired with some fresh ideas for our next homeschool semester.
I love the idea of newspaper day and am looking for kid publications to go along with it.
Plus, he reaffirmed my belief that reading helps us have a deeper understanding of a subject and should not be neglected in other "non-lit" subjects such as history or math.
I love his algorithm for book chats an
Some practical strategies for employing the philosophy of Donna Miller's Book Whisperer. Really, this book's greatest asset are the appendices of reader interest surveys and such. I took a bit of umbrage with Layne's tone (especially as he seemed to chide working parents & single parents or ELA teachers who read outside of children's/youth literature). I also didn't always think his ideas and methods were entirely the best or only way to "ignite passion." Overall, there were many variables, but ...more
Debbie Waskiewich
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! As a primary school teacher of 30 years, I use this resource with my students to develop a love of reading! This book gives so many useful ideas on how to get kids to WANT to read. I implemented several in my classroom over the years, and my students eagerly participate in them! Explaining and encouraging students to read different genres, both fiction and non-fiction, really opened my eyes on how to organize and expand my classroom library. I have shared this resource with tea ...more
Rayeann Hatfield
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knowledge
I really enjoyed this book; it was great and interesting to read. The author gives you many ideas and strategies you can use in your classroom on how you can ignite passion in readers. We all know how it can be hard to read, especially if you don’t like to. This book gives you tips on how to help readers who feel this way. For instance, you can give a lesson on what themes mean and the different themes there are. You can then have students choose a book of their choice based on the themes talked ...more
Kiley Sievers
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Steven Layne does a wonderful job at convincing you to spark joy in students about reading. Layne has a way with words that makes you want to follow along his every step. I was intrigued by the amount of methods he provides in detail through this book. Layne provides insight on what it is like in the minds of students and how you, as a teacher, can encourage students to read. Although I am not a teacher as of yet, I definitely would recommend having this book on you teaching shelf. It provides w ...more
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school, nonfiction
I bought this book at the school's book fair. It was on the "cheap table" and it discussed my area of interest: reading. (Other reading teachers also bought this book.)

I loved it, at least partially because it validated my own beliefs about teaching reading. It also gave me some new ideas to work on in the classroom. There's lots of highlighting in my copy.

I'd highly recommend this to reading teachers who feel overwhelmed.
Heather Munao
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teaching
I enjoyed this. Layne's tone was conversational and enthusiastic, and he shared practical ideas that anyone can use and modify. Some books about teaching / reading are manifestos basically set in fantasyland where teachers can do whatever they want (looking at you Nancy Atwell). This is not one of those books and was full of sound ideas!
Leigha Nunnally
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for teachers about teaching students to LOVE reading. I have always felt that teaching my students how to read was a waste of time if I didn't also teach them to love to read! I want then to keep reading beyond my classroom and Dr. Layne gives amazing ideas and resources to make that happen.
Amanda
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book full of amazing resources and ideas, written in a delightful and conversational style, from a person who is deeply in love with reading and on fire for kids to love reading too. I would recommend this book to anyone teaching reading and literacy to any age group.
Dana Walters
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book for any language teacher! Great mix of anecdotes and strategies. Great information and a great read. Focus is mainly grade 1-8, but lots of strategies can be adapted to fit high school as well.
Susan Morris
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got a lot of ideas I’d like to try, to encourage a love of reading in students. One of the big o ez is simply to make the library a place where we read aloud great books to give kids a positive connection to text - especially for those who might not get that in any other ways. (Library)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Reading in the Wild
  • The Book Whisperer: Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child
  • The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled, Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers
  • The Reading Strategies Book: Your Everything Guide to Developing Skilled Readers
  • Alice The Fairy
  • Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It
  • The Undefeated
  • In the Middle: New Understandings about Writing, Reading, and Learning
  • Clean Getaway
  • No More Fake Reading: Merging the Classics with Independent Reading to Create Joyful, Lifelong Readers
  • When I Was Puerto Rican