Start by marking “The Pirate Cruncher” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Cruncher

The Pirate Cruncher

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  342 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
A hilarious picture book debut has a scurvy crew setting off for an island of gold, where an unexpected development awaits under the final flap.

I was sailing along and what did I see?
An island of GOLD in the scurvy sea!
But there’s one small thing I forgot to share —
there’s also a MONSTER waiting there.

A mysterious old pirate tells a tavern of salty seadogs about an island
Published April 13th 2010 by Templar (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Cruncher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Cruncher

Kathleen Whelan
I read this book to a Year 3 class and they absolutely adored it! The pictures are so well detailed. They images are really quite dark which portrays the darness of a pirates life and the journey they are venturing on. The rhyming throughout gives the book a continous rhythm. The children in Year 3 loved the rhyming and read along. The large picture at the end of the giant monster gave them a great reason to discuss what it was. Some thought it was a giant octupus and some said it was a giant se ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
An old fiddler started singing about a huge treasure in a town with loads of pirates. Of course a group of pirates decided to go in search for said treasure. Even though the fiddler warned that this particular treasure was VERY dangerous to look for. But off the pirates went. While on the pirate ship, the fiddler started telling them more and more about the treasure (basically how it was even more dangerous to get than before). Apparently this treasure was guarded by a monster that ate pirates l ...more
Clare Cannon
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 4-6 years (boys)
Shelves: 04-8yrs
A fun rhyming pirate story with lively illustrations and a good ‘moral to the story’: the greedy treasure hunting pirates meet their match in the ‘pirate-eating monster’, not listening to the warnings the old fiddler gives them through his songs. But it doesn’t have that special something about the story which I look for in picture books.
Liz
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The rhyming is too forced--I didn't enjoy reading it out loud. For the first half of the book, it was dark text on a dark background. Very difficult to read, especially while holding to book to the side so people can see the pictures.
Tracie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
The illustrations alone are enough to warrant a peek at this book, they are fabulous. So colourful and the entire page is filled. The characters look alive and the attention to detail is amazing. Could spend hours just looking at the pictures. I have read this book a few times (it's just so fun) and every time I look at it I see something new.

The story is fun and flows nicely. The way that it rhymes is brilliant.

This book really is a perfect childrens (or adult if your like me) book and I highl
Zara
Aug 19, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is a bit like Marmite!! You either love it or hate it... However, I think it is great, but I am sure that there are some children who could find it a bit scary. In light of this, I would recommend this book for children of 6 - 9yrs and would also take into account the characters of who you are reading the story to.

It is a story of greed and misfortune. There is an exciting moral to the story, which will either have the children roaring with laughter (throughout) or have them quaking in
Laura Lee Denby
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jonny Duddle's last book 'The pirate's next door' was a delight to read. I was so pleased to discover that he had written something new for us to enjoy with the children.
This book is more advanced than his last but is every inch as wonderful. Jonny's illustrations are detailed in the way that an intriguing cartoon strip is. The story is written in rhyme, using the colloquial language of pirates-guaranteed to get children interested.
The version I bought also comes with a book and audio cd which
Sarah W
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
On with pirates! Captain Purplebeard and his band of cutthroats are searching for treasure in this picture book/comic hybrid. The adventure begins with an older fiddler singing of treasure. This is clearly a good book for a music nerd like me.

The parrot is the one crew member with common sense. One dialogue exchange I enjoyed was "You eat treasure?" "Only small pieces."

The color choices in Pirate Cruncher really highlight the characters' moods. The somewhat eerie blues were a bit hard for readin
Nielson
May 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was an absolutely darling book. Pirate lovers and non-pirate lovers alike will love it! A fiddler comes to town singing about an island full of treasure and Captain Purplebeard and his crew jump at the chance to find more loot! It isn't until they are on their way that the fiddler warns them of a monster that could be lurking nearby the treasure. Despite the crews fears, Captain Purplebeard presses on. Readers will be surprised at the ending as they find out who the monster really is!
This
Samantha Bilodeau
A pirate singer tempts a group of pirates to seek treasure and warns them of the monster that protects it. The flow of the text is so much fun! It's so easy to get into a "pirate" mood reading this and my son and I really enjoy reading it.

The art in this is phenomenal and does a wonderful job of setting the tone. The colors and style are just gorgeous. My son really loved the many speech bubbles and the drawings inside many of them. There is a foldout page towards the very back that also enhance
Den
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, 2014
What a superb book and you don't realise the fiddler is the monsters puppet until the end despite the strings being on every page - how did I not see them?
I loved the fiddlers little sea shanties and the pirates voices as they change from BIG brave pirates to ones who want to go home to their mummies!!! I can see a group of children taking turns saying all of the characters voices in a pirate voices. Brilliant.
Despite the fiddler warning them of a terrible monster they still proceed as the treas
Rosa
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Purple beard and his crew meet a fiddler who tells them about an island with a glorious treasure. Purple beard doesn't care although some of his crew are a little bit nervous.

I like that each pirate has thought/word bubbles letting you see what they are really thinking. This makes me think that it would be a better book for reading with only between 1 and 3 kids b/c you can talk about the individual pirates.

There is a nice twist at the end with the island, the fiddler and the monster. The fiddl
Krista
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We had the best laugh with this hilarious pirate book! The Pirate-Cruncher by Jonny Duddle, is so much fun. It's about some pirates that fall into a trap by an "old man" who promises them treasure. The crew gets scared and wants to turn back but the captain won't hear of it. There is a cute rhyming song that is told by the "old man". I won't spoil the surprise for you. This book is worth your home book shelf!
Mark Zaino
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amazingly illustrated, especially the format is similar to a graphic novel setup with the series of boxes. The telling of a treasure from a fiddler to abnd of pirates has a bold an capturingtake. especially the rhyming meter in the story really captures a mood.
To do a storytelling with this book would be great, especially for a pirate themed storytime. (one could take on a pirate voice all throughout).
Milo
Dec 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Milo by: Uncle Mark
"Yeah. That is a good one. I think it is fun."

Mama was worried that the illustrations might be too scary. But, I LOVED the story. After reading this book I wanted to learn more about pirates. I wanted to know if they were real and if they were around today. It made for some fun dinner conversations. I decided that I don't want to pirate, because they don't know when to stop getting gold and treasure.
Tasia Ramejkis
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Starting with a poem about wanted pirates looking to claim their prize. An old fiddle pirate sings a song about treasure on a far away island. Captain Purplebeard agrees to take him with his crew of the Blackhole to find this island!

Once on board the fiddler remembers that this island vanishes and pirates are never seen again. There is also a monster who likes to eat pirates and their ships for good measure.
X
Exciting storytelling with juicy clues and suggestions creeping out of the illustrations, the language and the characters' behaviour, and yet we are in for a giant surprise. Every inch of this book is rich in communication. Young readers get excited about their comprehension and try desperately to tell you what's going on, in case you missed it. The first class, iconic illustrations are full of fantasy and the level of graphic detail makes them cool in a grown-up way. Dynamite.
Anthony
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The pirate cruncher is a gorgeously illustrated picture book which also contains a message on the nature of being greedy. The pirates lured by the tale of a strange sea dog go in search for treasure despite their hull being full of it, unfortunately they get more than they bargained for. Just used this text in year one to introduce adverbs and character descriptions.
Craig Johnson
Dec 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Ok, First of all ...this get 5 stars automatically because it's about pirates. Secondly...this book is just fun. It puts a picture in your mind that starts an adventure that you just have to finish. All in all I would say this book is great for boys! having the pirates and how the adventure builds would be great to keep them entertained and hopefully help them enjoy reading.
Anna
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A tale of some bumbling pirates who follow an old fiddler who sings of treasure to be found at sea . . . unfortunately for the pirates, the treasure is on an island that's not really an island, it's a sea monster. A very large sea monster--hence the title of the book!

Grandsons liked, but did not love this book.
Susan
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Fabulous. The illustrations are very much fun. It's ceaselessly interesting--deliciously romping, truly satisfyingly piratical. It really lives up to how delightful you want it to be. The pirate captain's facial expressions are a treat.
Ian
May 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
The text doesn't work. The pathos is wonky, the rhymes plod (when they're even attempted), the jokes fall flat, and the moral is forced. It reads very much like a first draft. The art is funny and rewards scrutiny, but has a plastic sheen that doesn't fit the briny world it's portraying.
Megan Richards
Feb 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A funny story about the pirates' greed. I loved the illustrations and the fiddler character. The fiddler takes the pirates out to sea for gold and end up feeding a monster; the fiddler warned them.
Denise
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a pirate tale of greed (with humor) that would make for a great read aloud for grades 2-5. The illustrations are gorgeous and they were done digitally, which is just amazing. The illustrations are also important to keep an eye on, there's a lot going on from the end paper to end paper.
Gphatty
Nov 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, picture
Hilarious -- but maybe not for the very young. A freakish monster; mean looking pirates; a twistedly dark ending. Great fun, but preview the book before reading this to folks under six.
Points off for the odd font, which often made the "ballad" (narration) rather hard to read sometimes.
Conni Strittmatter
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pirates
Elaborate, cartoonish illustrations. A good mix between traditional text and comic book style text. A bit long and difficult for a traditional storytime - it's tough to read the speech bubbles to a crowd.
Emily
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations and story are fantastic and highly original! One of the best pirate picture books me and the boys have read. We would have renewed if from the library but it has a reserve list. I'll probably end up buying this one. Highly recommended.
Aug 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Something new to look at every time you read the book. There's an excellent sea chantey telling the story. AND you get to use a pirate voice when you read. Both the 6.5 and the 3.5 year-olds love this one.
Gwyn
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My boys (8 & 10) LOVE this book! The illustrations are amazing and keep you wanting to see the end. Excellent book!
Jennifer Lewis petermann
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
The kids loved it (& as its a proper Pirate story - Mummy did too!)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Swap!
  • Calvin Can't Fly: The Story of a Bookworm Birdie
  • Please, Louise
  • Cock-a-Doodle-Oops!
Jonny Duddle has been a concept artist for Aardman Animations and created fantastic illustrations for fiction and novelty books, including ALIENOLOGY. He wrote and illustrated THE PIRATE CRUNCHER. Jonny Duddle lives in Buxton, England.
More about Jonny Duddle...