Start by marking “Graffiti New York” as Want to Read:
Graffiti New York

Graffiti New York

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Decades after the movement globalized, New York is still the mecca of graffiti culture. Painting there is a badge of honor, with graffiti artists from around the globe making pilgrimages to New York for that purpose. This is the city where it all began, yet few know the back story.

Graffiti New York fills that gap, detailing the concepts, aesthetics, ideals, and social stru
Published October 1st 2009 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2009)

abcdefg
I picked this up mainly out of curiosity. You walk down the street and see letters written up on buildings, phone booths, bus shelters, etc. that you can't even read and you wonder "so, what's this about? What does it mean? How do they get their monikers? Is it gang activity?"

Mostly, from reading this book, I've found it's NOT as gang related as I initially thought it to be. There's a wide range of graffiti styles and each individual makes their name their own. From tags to throw-ups to pieces a
Dereth
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The term "graffiti writers" is new to me. Northwest Washington State is not a hotbed of graffiti culture. I am an inveterate train-watcher and became a graffiti watcher, as well. What I observed on the cars as they passed by awakened in me the recognition of an art form. I am amazed at the shapes and forms writers create with letters and words. This is a beautiful book.
Troy
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Graff heads
Probably the best book I've read on graffiti in New York, and I've read a ton of them. Interviews with not only the writers and artists, but the cops who tried to stop them, the shopkeepers who embraced or hated the impact the art had on their storefronts, and its international reach from the 70s to modern day-osh. Blown away by the depth in which this goes, and you'd be hard pressed to find another book that goes into as much detail about not only the art, but ancillary topics of law enforcemen ...more
Jenna (Falling Letters)
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Review originally posted 1 February 2013 on Falling Letters.

A very thorough and enlightening read on the history of graffiti in New York. Lots of comments from writers throughout the decades, photos, input from law enforcement, description of techniques and supplies, etc.
Kiro D