Start by marking “Cobra Alliance (Cobra War, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cobra Alliance (Cobra War, #1)

Cobra Alliance

(Cobra War #1)

When the colony worlds Adirondack and Silvern fell to the Troft forces almost without a struggle. Outnumbered and on the defensive, Earth made a desperate decision. It would attack the aliens not from space, but on the ground--with forces the Trofts did not even suspect. Thus were created the Cobras, a guerilla force whose weapons were surgically implanted, invisible to th ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Baen (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Cobra Alliance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cobra Alliance

Katy
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of military science fiction
Book Info: Genre: Military Science-fiction Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received the final book in this trilogy (The Cobra War Trilogy) in exchange for an honest review from Amazon Vine; I am happy to provide an honest review of this first book in the trilogy –which I purchased for myself – as well.

Synopsis: Earth had won its war with the Troft because of the Cobras, a guerrilla force whose weapons were surgically implanted, invisible to the unsuspecting eye, yet undeniably deadly. The Mor
Marko
Nov 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Before starting to read this series, I went back to the original that I had read about two and a half decades ago for a re-read. It was an enjoyable enough series, character-oriented, but very light. Also some of the themes felt very dated (roles of genders) and Cobra lasers switched from invisible to visible between the first and second novel.

This new series is set a couple of decades later. Jin Moreau, now Moreau Broom, has married and is now the mother of two cobra sons and a non-cobra daught
Kenneth Flusche
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
a decent war story with multiple characters written in the star wars style
Troy G
Dec 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
There are problems here that weren't in the first trillogy, but let me start with the good. The world of Qsama is more detailed than ever, and seems both interesting and somewhat practical for paranoid survivalist types. The Qsamans seem to have a more consistant, and interesting culture than before. There are certain parallells to mid-eastern cultures that I never recognized before, and I was really fascinated to see that explored.

I also felt like the action sequences were nearly as good as the
Lisa Hall
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it
The Moreau family are the most famous of the fighters known as Cobra’s, an elite fighting force implanted with deadly weapons that once allowed them to keep Troft invaders at bay. With the threat to humanity diminished, the necessity of the Cobra program is brought into question.

Jasmine Jin Moreau receives an anonymous message that draws her back to her original home world of Qasama, a place where Cobras, the demon fighters, are not welcome. She thinks the message is from an old friend, one now
Joe Slavinsky
I liken many of Timothy Zahn's books to summer blockbusters. Lots of action, explosions, suspense, and good vs. evil. Great art? No, but lots of fun, and like movie popcorn, hard to stop consuming. The latest installment(most likely a trilogy- book 2, "Cobra Guardian", is due out next month.) of his "Cobra" series, begun in the mid-1980's, involves the heroine of the last Cobra book, Jasmine "Jin" Moreau, who now has grown children of her own(all are Cobras, of course-bionic fighting machines, w ...more
D.M. Dutcher
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Not a good continuation of the series. Jin Moreau is summoned back to Qasama mysteriously by Danlo, only to land in some serious trouble. That's really about it for the plot, and without getting into spoilers, nothing at all new has been added to the series to make you care about the book. There's only minor changes to Qasama, no real action outside of it, and it's just a collection of action scenes and the Qasamites acting paranoid.

The enemy is especially pointless, and this book is a rare miss
Patrick
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Kind of disappointing considering I almost died to obtain this book. It's not quite as good as Zahn's Star Wars books or the Conqueror's series. It would probably help if you read the Cobra trilogy before this, except those books went out of print about 20 years ago. I had read the last two of that trilogy, though about 3 years ago so I wasn't all that up on who some of these characters were and what had gone on before. Considering how long it's been, maybe the publisher should have included a s ...more
John (JP)
Aug 04, 2011 rated it liked it
280 pages . Get this one from your library. The story is mildly interesting.Its a basic military SF book. The dialog is wooden. There is an OK storyline that sucked me in. I wish Zahn had done a better job of character development. The Qasama maybe stand ins for an Arab culture. are characterized as being paranoid and double dealing. The Cobra's technologically enhanced humans have are noble. The Troft's are the stock aliens.
Arjen Schwarz
Jan 23, 2011 rated it liked it
With this book Zahn returns once again to his world of Cobra's, elite soldiers with modified bodies, who were granted their own worlds after their purpose in war had been served. I looked forward to this book, as I liked the original Cobra series, as well as most of Zahn's other work, but somehow everything felt a bit rushed in this book. Hopefully this will improve in the rest of the series. All in all, it was still a nice simple read.
John Macenulty
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Unless you've read the previous books in the Cobra series there will be some things that escape you. However, I think that it stands well enough on it's own.

I enjoyed the book. It took a little while to get going, but once it did the action was fast and furious. I'm looking forward to the next one!
John
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
2016 grade B+

Series book CW1

This is an action adventure SciFi novel with some of the characters augmented to effectively low level super powers. It also has pretty good character and personality development making it a fun read. The story ends satisfactorily and can be read on its own. But it does up the next novel at the very end.
Talea
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got my first taste of Timothy Zahn through or of his Star Wars novels and haven't been disappointed with his work, The Cobra series is the same. Science Fiction at its best, believable world and intriguing characters, this is one to read if you like military sci-fi.
Ryan Scott
Nov 29, 2010 rated it did not like it
Really tried to like this. I am a huge Zahn fan. But I just could not get into the story. I never really invested in the world that was built and that made it tough to read and connect. I ended up not finishing it.
Alfred Hanson
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent writer. Has a good tempo with great skill in developing characters and plots.
Matthew
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Nothing revolutionary but nice to see he can still write good cobra books.
Aerine
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
If you haven't read the first three, skip these, it won't make any sense
Jeff Crosby
Not as strong as the early novels. I realize that the intent was to set up a series, and the premise is fine. However, I grew tired of the parnoids running the planet and the fifth double-cross.
Grant
Aug 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cool update to the Cobra series. Zahn has taken his hidden-story style of telling and adapted the new Cobra series to follow. A worthy update for a good series.
Terry
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-read
This series suffers from plodding plot lines, flaccid dialogue and stunted characterization. Show some extra effort and imagination Mr. Zahn.
Lee Holden

4.5
CB
Apr 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-junk, sci-fi
Click here to read my review!
Stephen Davis
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Enemy of my enemy is my friend. Well told story about one human colony having to work with someone from another to fight off an alien invasion. Intrigue and turns in the story keep it interesting.
J.A. Campbell
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2010
Ok, gonna try this to help me keep track of what I read this year.

So far so good in this book. Another Zahn piece well done. This is my first book of the year.
Joe D.
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-sf
Maybe not as good as the original series but still really good
Ron
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: war, science-fiction
Skimmed through the book to keep current with author. Decent read.
Florian
Feb 18, 2013
Jonathan Herbst
Feb 02, 2016
Sean Matthew
Jun 04, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 1439134049 (ISBN13: 9781439134047) 3 16 Aug 10, 2012 10:36PM

• Contact with Chaos (Freehold: Grainne War, #3, Freehold, #4)
  • The House of the Kzinti (Man-Kzin Wars)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • A Plague of Demons & Other Stories
  • Orphan's Triumph (Jason Wander, #5)
  • Night of Power
  • Time Traders/Galactic Derelict (Time Traders / Ross Murdock, #1-2)
  • Sunborn (Chaos Chronicles, #4)
  • Man-Kzin Wars 11 (Man-Kzin Wars, #11)
  • Time Scout (Time Scout, #1)
  • Planets of Adventure
  • Destiny's Forge (Man-Kzin Wars, #11.5)
  • Beginning Operations (Sector General, #1-3)
  • Crusade (Starfire, #2)
  • Ragamuffin (Xenowealth, #2)
  • The Burning Skies (Autumn Rain #2)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • The Shattered Sphere (The Hunted Earth, #2)
Timothy Zahn attended Michigan State University, earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physics in 1973. He then moved to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and achieved an M.S. degree in physics in 1975. While he was pursuing a doctorate in physics, his adviser became ill and died. Zahn never completed the doctorate. In 1975 he had begun writing science fiction as a hobby, and he bec ...more

Cobra War (3 books)
  • Cobra Guardian (Cobra War, #2)
  • Cobra Gamble (Cobra War, #3)