Start by marking “Kyle's Island” as Want to Read:
Kyle's Island

Kyle's Island

For as far back as Kyle can remember, he spent summers at Gram's cottage on the lake--fishing all day, and hanging out with the whole family. But this year is different. His father has moved out, his grandmother has died, and his mother is selling the cottage because they can't afford the upkeep.

Sally Derby takes readers to a small lake in 1970s Michigan, where thirteen-ye
Published February 1st 2010 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2010)

Dee
Mar 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Never in my life have I read a more quaint book than "Kyle's Island". I wasn't expecting much from this, so the outcome throughly surprised me.

Kyle is really looking foward to his summer at his family's lakeside cottage. He'll be able to escape from all that has happened-- his grandmother died and his father left the family. When Kyle finally starts to settle into summer life at the lake, he soon discovers that his newly single mom is selling the cottage! She can't afford to keep it anymore, an
Sandra
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
I didn't love this book but I liked it a lot. Some of the things that I liked in this book where the characters and how each of them have their own kinda background with the parents. I also like how this book leads up to a happy ending although their are a lot of problems within the book.

A summary of the book. Kyle has two sisters and one younger brother. His mom and dad are divorced but everyone still talks to their dad, everyone except Kyle. Kyle is mad at his dad for leaving them, and for ge
Shelly
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for middle graders and even young teens. One thing I liked is that it had a strong male main character. Kyle knows what he wants and he will do whatever it takes to get it. Kids today could learn a lot from Kyle. He goes through his parents' separation with the same feelings that many kids have. He feels he has already lost his father, and now he is about to lose one of the other constants in his life, that he loves dearly; the cottage at the lake. But, through the story, he ...more
Chelsea
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Kyle Cook can't wait to get to the lake house with his mom and three siblings this summer. His father left earlier in the year and the family hasn't quite been the same ever since. When he learns his Mom has to sell the lake house, Kyle sets out to earn enough money to try and save this important piece of his childhood. Along the way, Kyle will find he has more to learn about the people around him than he thinks.

KYLE'S ISLAND is a short and breezy read and evokes memories of summer on the lake f
Carro Herdegen
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language – PG (8 swears, 0 “f”), Sexual Content – G; Violence – G
Kyle and his family have been going to their lake cottage every summer since the beginning of time. However, this summer, their Dad isn’t there and they have to sell the beloved cottage. This is their last year here and nobody likes it one bit. What’s Kyle going to do to protect his haven? What WON’T he do?
I liked reading it, but it wasn’t as exciting as I had hoped. I enjoyed the story, appreciated the happy ending, and was glad t
Jan 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Rather average tale about a boy learning lessons about life and growing older; takes place during the summer, when Kyle's family goes to their cottage in Michigan. Dad's left the family, and Mom needs to sell the cottage (bills, college funds, etc.).

Of course there's at least one Major Misunderstanding, abut there are Friends Found and Lessons Learned. I'm not sure why this was set in the 70s, except perhaps the author didn't think it plausible that kids would enjoy a summer on a lake without c
Samantha Poptic
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I can really relate to Kyle in some ways. I also really liked how he treated his younger brother. Kyle's Island is an OK mix of adventure but I do wish the author had actual focused more on the island. Hence the title "Kyle's Island" My favorite part of the book was when Kyle learned that Tom was the one who had built the cabin and he took Kyle to the cabin during the storm. At some points during the book it was hard for me to focus as, in my opinion, it got sort ...more
Anne Newell
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a family of 4 kids. The dad left and grandma died. Kyle the narrator is very angry with is dad- more than the other kids. This is a good book for a 4th or 5th grader to read. And probably good to read to a class. It is not controversial but a story lots of kids of divorce can relate to.
K.S.  Wicks
Oct 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Thirteen-year-old Kyle is spending the summer at the family cabin in Michigan. With his parent's divorcing, Kyle's mother decides to sell the cabin to eliminate the expense. Faced with change, Kyle is forced to grow up quickly and learns how little we really know about other people - even those we love the most.
Sharon
Apr 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
6th&up. This simple coming of age story does a nice job of presenting a summer of change. All the characters are well rounded and solid, and the ending is realistic but hopeful.
Alexandra
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Although this book is more coming-of-age, I, a 17 year old, enjoyed it. Quaint story, funny characters, overall a good book.
Anna
Jul 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute, if bland. Maybe a good fit for quiet more bookworm tween boy types--esp those who live for the great outdoors.
Gavin M
May 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book that I read in a while. I wish there was more to it and it never ended.
Krissy
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was really good and kind of sad but it is a realistic book where there parents are divorce and they have to sell the cabin which they love so it is ad but it is also pretty good too.
Jillian
Sep 09, 2014
Lara
Jul 25, 2011
Dr. Cheryl S. Vanatti
Read my thoughts over on Reading Rumpus: https://www.readingrumpus.com/2010/09...
Sarah Miller