Start by marking “Lucky: Maris, Mantle, and My Best Summer Ever” as Want to Read:
Lucky: Maris, Mantle, and My Best Summer Ever

Lucky: Maris, Mantle, and My Best Summer Ever

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Louis isn’t very good at playing baseball, but he knows and loves the game more than anybody. He loves the purity of the sport, the sound of the crack of a bat, and the smell of freshly cut grass in the stadium. And more than anything, he loves the New York Yankees. So when he becomes a bat boy for the team during the summer of 1961, it is a dream come true. Lucky gives re ...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky

Adonica
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
GREAT book for kids with a passion for baseball! Being a baseball and Maris fan, this book was great!
Dominic Borg
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lucky features Louis, a lousy baseball player who is bullied by his step brother, and not supported by his step mother. He happens to have memorized the baseball card of all the best players, including the ones on his favorite team, the New York Yankees. One day at a Yankees game, something remarkable happens, something that will change his life the way he knows it forever.
I gave this book five stars for a few reasons. First, there was a likable main character, a young boy I could relate to. Sec
Michael
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Baseball players are real people. Even big-leaguers. Even New York Yankees. Even baseball legends chasing one of the greatest records in all of sports are real guys. Louis “Lucky” May could not have been luckier when he gets a chance to know the real Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris as they went after the great Babe Ruth’s single season home run record.
Starr Elementary
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I had a hard time putting it down. A great example of life in for the Yankees the summer of 1961. We get to see a glimpse of the counterculture in New York City through the eyes of Louis as he navigates fitting in with his new Stepmom and Stepbrother Bryce.
Grant
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the reasons that I could relate to this book is that when I was little I used to watch my favorite baseball players play just like Louis did. Louis watched the New York Yankees play and he always was looking for Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris.
Louis plays baseball in the back yard with his friends. He dreams about baseball everytime he plays in his backyard. I can relate to this because I play baseball in the backyard with my brother and friends.
By being the batboy Louis used it to stay
Justin Juarez
May 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Louis May new all there could be about baseball. He knew more about baseball then anyone. He was also very good at playing baseball. Louis didn't like where he lived, which is in New York. He doesn't really get along with his stepbrother and he really doesn't fit in with his school. He also misses his mom who is living with other poets and artists. But one day he gets a chance to become a batboy for the New York Yankees. This is like a dream to Louis to be able to be in the dugout with all the f ...more
Hayley
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Audience: This book is a 3rd through 6th grade book. It's about a boy becoming a batboy for the New York Yankees. I think this book would be most popular among young boys or anyone who has a love for baseball. I really enjoyed the book and it was about more than baseball.

Appeal: I think this book would be a fun book to read outloud during class over a couple of days. It would give a good prompt for students to journal or write about their lives. In the story, the main character Louis is a child
Chris Holliman
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it
It’s the summer of ’61 and Louis May has a lot of new things in his life. His parents have recently divorced and he and his dad have moved in with his stepmom and stepbrother in White Plains, New York. It’s an uncomfortable arrangement and Louis constantly feels that he’s getting overlooked. Baseball is the center of Louis’s life and things start to look up when he is hired on as a batboy at Yankee Stadium.

It is the summer of the homerun race between Maris and Mantle, and Louis is right in the t
Holden Fleisig
Apr 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow,there is a boy named Louis and he just moved to white plains new York and he hates it. Then a miracle happened, he got the job to be the New York Yankees bat boy and his summer got to horrible to best summer ever.He got to hangout with the best Yankees to ever play on the team, Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle in the dugout who are trying to brake Babe Ruth's home run record for the whole season and Louis gets a front row seat to see it all happen. Louis is still not so happy,he hates his stepb ...more
Rosie
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and think it would be great for middle grade boys who are big baseball fans. I think it's almost every boy's dream to be a batboy and get to know the players especially Micky Mantle and Roger Maris. The author added some depth by including some important issues like divorce, stepfamilies, and bullies. Louis is a likable character and I think the author does a good job of describing the 60's in a friendly way that kids can relate to. I only wish that he had added an author's n ...more
Marilyn Olson
Sep 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you love baseball, this book is for you. Even if you don't love baseball, this book is for you. Louis, the main character, is someone you get to know well through the author's excellent characterization. He's a person you want to continue to know even after the book is finished. The themes of friendship, coming of age, bullying, divorce and baseball are effortlessly woven throughout the text of this book. Facts about the Yankees 1961 season are also included in the book as Roger Maris and Mic ...more
Jess
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, 2010
Baseball and summer just go hand in hand and the summer of 1961, all eyes were on New York. Would Maris and Mantle break Babe Ruth's record for the most homeruns in a single season? And Louis was somehow lucky enough to land himself a position as batboy for the Yankees. Louis learns a great deal about himself and baseball from two great players. This is sure to be a hit with kids wanting to read about baseball.
Beth
Mar 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young_adult
It is fitting that the chapters are named after the innings (both bottom and top). Too bad there wasn't extra innings or a double header.
Louis (Lucky) learns that "sometimes life is about timing." So maybe the Yankees outscored the Pirates, but they lost the series.
Even in 1961, it was thought off to put notes by records since more games were in a season than when Babe Ruth played. Maris didn't mind. He simply loved to play. Debates over records will likely to continue.
Nancy
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Audience: Grades 3-8, baseball fans, boys, students who like Matt Christopher, Mike Lupica, and John Feinstein books.

Appeal: Anyone who knows baseball knows about the summer of Maris and Mantle. Reader's will envy Louis's chance to be a batboy for the Yankees and his front row seat to see the greatest show on dirt!

2012-2013 Intermediate Golden Sower Nominee
Robin
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
DeAnne
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm not a baseball fan, but this was quite good! All the main characters were wonderfully realized.
Haadi
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Paula Frank
Set back in the early 60s when baseball was America's sport.
B. Young
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: golden-sowers
I'm enjoying this book and think it's a great "boy book" for boys who enjoy sports, especially baseball...good historical fiction also.
Sue
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great baseball book for boys.
Caroline
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another good baseball story for the young reader/baseball lover
Julie
Good choice for avid baseball fans in grades 3-6th.
Chris Gross-Rhode
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: golden-sower, sports
If you like baseball, you'll love this book. If you are indifferent about baseball, you'll still love the characters and their adventures. Don't have to be a Yankees fan to like this book :)
Elyce
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book about the Yankees for any baseball fan.
LukeA CLC
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all baseball fans
GREAT BOOK!!!!!! I could really connect with the main character Louis
Brooks Blosser
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4th-grade-class
This is one of the best young reader books I've ever read. Loved it!!!
Gail