Start by marking “Rooms” as Want to Read:
Rooms

Rooms

On a rainy spring day in Seattle, young software tycoon Micah Taylor receives a cryptic, twenty-five-year-old letter from a great uncle he never knew. It claims a home awaits him on the Oregon coast that will turn his world inside out. Suspecting a prank, Micah arrives at Cannon Beach to discover a stunning brand new nine-thousand square foot house. And after meeting Sarah ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by B Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Rooms, please sign up.
Alexandra You buy it , either download it on Amazon or another book selling site or go to a bookstore if you don't have an E reader.

Johnny Virgil
Jan 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Holy crap! No, that's not a two word review, but it could be. This book was not at all what I was expecting. As a "non-religious" person, I found this book to be a little too over the top with the holy-roller stuff. If you're a confirmed believer in all things God/Savior/Sin, you will probably love it. If you are turned off by televangelists or Jehovah's Witnesses, you will probably hate it. I had the distinct feeling that if the author met me, he would tell me I was going to burn in hell.

The Ch
Jamie
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me also start off by stating very clearly that this novel is Christian Fiction. Very strongly so. That is fine with me but I know some do not enjoy reading it and the plot synopsis does not exactly share that crucial tidbit.

So there is my first urging to all readers-if this novel's Christian basing does not match your beliefs, there is a good chance you will not enjoy this book. Even for me, as a Christian, I can see this book as being potentially intimidating and how the path to God is show
Lawrence
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As I was reading Rooms, I thought about the rooms in my heart for Jesus Christ. Am I allowing Him first place in every area of my heart? That question has stayed with me throughout the reading of this book. It was truly a soul searching and thought-provoking experience. I highly recommend it to all readers. Please make room in your heart for Jesus Christ.
Melissa
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Wow, not sure what I want to say about this book that I just finished up? I guess I will start with my first anticipation....

Rooms was toted as being similar to "The Shack". I loved "The Shack"! In fact I think during the time that book was in my hands all I wanted to do was read it and nothing else. It was fantastical (fantastic, fantasy, mystical - all rolled into one word). When I happened across Rooms at the bookstore, it was the cover that first drew me in. Yes, I am one of those people who
Jerri
Apr 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is everything I dislike about most Christian fiction: it is preachy, it is unrealistic and it is annoying. I am a sci-fi fan so I am all for suspending reality for a good story but this was ridiculous. I don't know how anyone could compare it to The Shack, not even close. I never really cared about Micah and I only kept reading it because I knew it would be quick read. For a software genius the guy was just a tad slow to grasp the obvious. I was also bothered by some of the author's th ...more
Amy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
How would you feel if you inherited a house on a beach made just for you? Oddly enough, it reflected your personality? Would you be excited? What about, if this house came from an uncle you never really met, and this uncle was the family weirdo? Still excited? Well... I'd think that I would be ecstatic... until, maybe living there made feel like I was losing my sanity.

Micah Taylor, inherits a home from his long been dead Uncle Archie. An uncle he has never met. Micah is the owner of his own soft
Heather Trim
Jan 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Mike (the Paladin)
What can I say here? I really, really wanted to like this book. A friend of mine here "kids" me because I so often open a review with, "I'm a Christian". I do that so anyone who reads my review will understand the point of view with which I approach the book in question.

This is....make no mistake...a Christian fiction. It sets out to tell a slightly allegorical tale (not precisely allegorical but that's getting semantic) of a man's journey back to Christ.

Now, that isn't a spoiler and I include i
Keiki Hendrix
Oct 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"A wonderful fictional portrayal of the mysterious, adventurous, and amazing workings of God in the life of a believer on his way to his hearts desire.”

Are you a believer? Or, are you on your way to walking with God? If so, you are going to find the events in this novel right up your alley.

Micah Taylor, the twenty-something founder of a multi-million dollar software company finds himself finds himself summoned to a journey of fulfillment like he has never known before which will take him through
Paula Vince
It seems the blurb and cover of this book led some reviewers to think this would be a haunted house story. It's actually something like a Christian version of "Sliding Doors" which intrigued me from the start.

Micah Taylor is a young business tycoon in the computer software industry. One day, he receives a letter from a great-uncle who's been dead for twelve years, informing him that a new coastal home has just been completed for him to inherit.

The house turns out to have creepy goings-on behind
Dan Walsh
May 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great read, similar to The Shack but, to me, better written. Both are allegorical stories about how God can mend a broken man but Rooms, as far as the allegory connects to Scriptural truth, is much more solid. Someone not interested in the Christian faith might struggle, but if you are a Christian, curious or even open-minded, worth your time.
Terri Blackstock
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book!
Cheryl Olson
Apr 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
What if you had the choice of choosing A) A life with prestige, fame, wealth and power or B) A life with a deep and meaningful relationship with God? What if you had the opportunity to wander back and forth between both lives and see the results of those choices? Pretty thought provoking stuff. James Rubart examines these ideas and many more in his book Rooms: A Novel.
Micah Taylor, a very successful up-and-comer Seattle based Software mogul, is put into a huge quandary. “Is the life I’m living
Michelle Rayburn
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved Rooms! I purchased it as a gift but snuck a peak when I got it home, and then I couldn’t put it down until I finished it. I liked the simplicity of the description combined with the complexity of the surreal fantasty of a house that keeps changing. It’s a journey of personal healing, of finding what really matters, and of letting go of that which hinders God from something better than we expected. Although wealth doesn’t mutually exclude a relationship with Jesus. For Micah Taylor, his p ...more
Sabrina
This book is nothing like the blurb on the back and it pissed me off that I read this book under false pretenses, I never would have touched it if the blurb really described what was in this book. A rip off of The Shack with way too much bible preaching for my taste. There is little to no character development and the characters aren't even very fleshed out to begin with. A the man guy is the most solid and he's an a**hole that I couldn't and don't want to connect with. The time jumps and pacing ...more
Ronie
Apr 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a life-changing book for me. Great storytelling and spiritually impacting!
Bonnie Luttkus
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
All in all, it was disappointing. There were several plot holes and a good amount of repetition. The book could have ended about 100 pages sooner. I kept going, because I wondered if perhaps the ending would be so good it would make up for the rest of it. The ending was definitely bigger and better, but overall not enough to make the whole book enjoyable.
Glen
There have unfortunately been far too few books that I have picked up and then been unable to put down. One of those books was James Rubart’s Rooms. It snagged me from the beginning and I found myself doing the ‘one more chapter’ thing late into the night.

Who wouldn’t want to inherit a house or money from someone we don’t know, a distant uncle or cousin. Micah had enough wealth that the letter that notified him about the house just served as a brief interruption in his busy life. Micah is curiou
Regina
I like James Rubart and loved 2 of his previous books, Soul's Gate and Memory's Door. Rooms was another trip into the wonders of what God can do on levels that defy our basic understanding of Him. Rooms was an interesting book based on the premise of what relationships and choices do to your life. I loved the house and the rooms! Very interesting and exciting! I liked the characters Rick,and Sarah. I was not as accepting of the main character Micah. I think he was extremely stupid for a software ...more
Ron
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Potentially a classic of Christian speculative fiction. It combines a modern setting and protagonist point of view with a classic Christian confrontation and choices. Not quite an allegory, but certainly not "normal" fiction. Sort of like It's a Wonderful Life (upside down) meets A Christmas Carol.(The liner notes do it a disservice by comparing it to The Shack It's much better, though both are contemporary stories touched by the supernatural.)

Can't discuss any of the plot or characters without
Ionia
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I love this book. I think I am officially hooked on this author. I read "The Chair" recently and fell in love with it so I had to read this and see if it was just as great. I am so glad I did.

The setting of this book is what first captivated me. I spend as much time as possible hiking the Pacific Northwest and have a special place in my heart for the area of Oregon that the author uses as the setting for the mysterious house. This pulled me into the story right away. His descriptions were
Michelle
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
Absolutely Brilliant! Mystical and Magical! Brought both tears of joy, as well as tears of sorrow while reading this. Not just for the characters, but, from my own heart as well. Ironically, I had befriended someone over two years ago. We instantly bonded and had a great connection. I often called him my "Angel on Earth" because of the timing he came into my life. He helped me through some personal issues and I like to think I helped boost his self esteem, as well. Just over 6 months ago we said ...more
Janalyn Voigt
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What would you do?

What if a house you inherited is more than it seems? What if doors appear out of nowhere and lead to rooms filled with mystery? What if your life changed daily in unimagined ways? For Seattle software tycoon, Micah Taylor, these questions are not academic. An uncle he's never met leaves him a house in Canon Beach on the Oregon Coast. Micah determines to sell the home, especially since it's located in a place that holds powerful memories for him. But after a visit, and after me
Jeffc11
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone and to those who are searching.
I had the great joy and pleasure of reading an unedited version of Rooms. Put on your seat belt and hang on! James L. Rubart takes you on a twisting turning journey you'll not soon forget. With amazing character development and the crafting of strong images, you find yourself riveted to the story line with each chapter leaving you wanting more.

Rubart's use of his word vault draws you in from the beginning and keeps you dialed in until the very last word. Even then, he leaves you wanting more!

It
Candy
Jul 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Recommended to Candy by: Cindy Teter
I simply could not get enough of this book! I think I have needed to read this one for a long time and I hate that I put off reading it for so long! I loved the supernatural aspects all woven together. Again I have found a book where the author has written about many of the thoughts, ideas and theories I have often wondered about. This definitely goes down as one of my favorites! Highly recommended.
Jerry
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A Quickie Review

An imaginative allegory, Rooms was a great read that I finished in one sitting. Those who aren't fans of fantasy may not like it, but for a geek like me, it was an insane read. The writing was great, as was the story. It's not as scary as it would seem, but it does have its weird moments.

Score: 4.5/5
Louisa
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good book, I enjoyed it, I loved the ending, the church stuff was a bit heavy, and it was a bit hard to read for a good deal of the book, but the last 100 pages or so were good.
Heidi Williams
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's a uniquely different view on how we hear the voice of God. The writing style was very creative.
Josh Johnson
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I heard Jim Rubart speak at a conference recently, the anticipation of which is why I picked up this particular book. He said the reviews he didn't like are the three stars, and yet here I am. Sorry, Jim.

But there's a silver lining. Mr. Rubart doesn't like three stars because they often mean the book was a forgettable, "meh." That's not the case here. There was nothing "meh" about this book. I was either strongly engaged or strongly repelled. My rating is just the result of taking the average b
R.J. Rodda
3.5

What was really engaging about this book was its originality. As Micah goes between two worlds, they change. His decisions have tremendous effects and seeing these unfold are what makes this book a real page turner.

My hesitation with this is the theological aspects. Micah gets a lot of spiritual advice here. Eventually as a reader you recognize that the advice conflicts. Some of it is from God, some from Satan. My concern is with the authoritative way both perspectives are presented - this c
Rebekah Gyger
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
After listing to James' (Jim's) podcast for a little while now, I thought I would finally pick up one of his books. I liked this one, but not so much that I would really be interested in seeking out his other work. The way the story played out reminded me a lot of The Shack (or at least the movie version) as many other reviewers have mentioned, though that was not what I was anticipating when I picked it up.

The message of the story was pretty solid, however the ease in which Micah accepted a lot
Sandy
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I have written enough to be sympathetic to the effort and skill required to create any book, and I am not a cynical or even a very critical reader. But this book...While it is clear the author has loving and generous intentions, and some literary skills, when it comes to combining modern psychology with a 5000 year old book, originally transmitted orally by illiterate nomadic herders in the deserts of the Middle East, and trying to apply their arcane observations to solving present day life prob ...more
Linda  Branham Greenwell
HArd to classify... it is on the same order as The Shack
A house where Rooms change according to the decisions that a man makes
I enjoyed the book
Judie Dooley
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW---this book was something really different than anything I've read before.A Seattle software tycoon gets a letter from his great uncle, he has never known, that changes his life. the uncle has built him a mansion on the Oregon coast. He goes to Oregon intending to sell the house. He starts to feel that he might keep the house as a weekend getaway. s trange things start to happen as he enters different different rooms and things really get stranger. He begins to find his lost faith and return ...more
Jaycee Weaver
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply amazing

Words cannot aptly describe how incredible this book is. It’s everything I’ve always loved about Peretti and Dekker for years, but different. It wasn’t difficult to see where the story was going, or to predict the consequences of his choices, but the way everything unfolds little by little is thoroughly engaging from the very start. The personification of spiritual beings was completely believable, especially the truth-coated lies of the villain. I was blown away. I’ll definitely b
Mady Gilbert
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Janet Sketchley
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Micah Taylor has it all: prestigious business, penthouse condo, a girlfriend who’s his perfect match. Until he leaves Seattle for Cannon Beach, Oregon, to check into a house he inherited.

The house is everything he’d have wanted had he designed it himself – except for the location, stirring memories of childhood tragedy. And except for the mysterious rooms that suddenly appear.

Rooms is a supernatural tale of how God might lead a person to revisit “rooms” in his heart to bring healing and truth.

Th
Daenel
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
“What would you find if you walked into the rooms of your soul?” Micah literally finds out when he inherits a home built especially for him by his great uncle, Archie. Micah is a software tycoon who has it all ~ fame, fortune, and a beautiful girlfriend who loves him, yet something is missing… And it takes a supernatural force for him to realize that what he is missing a relationship with God.

As a young man, Micah had enjoyed a close relationship with God but as his fortune grew, his focus becam
MC
Feb 02, 2014 rated it liked it
What would happen if you could take, or could take a loved one on, a trip through your very soul? Everything about you is literally, not just figuratively on display. What if you could live two parallel lives simultaneously? What if you could choose two different paths, knowing that one has fame, fortune, and worldly success, and the other has love, peace, and freedom, if a bit less “success” as the world calls it? What would you do?

This is the question at the heart of the novel *Rooms* by Jame
WORDMAN
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If ever there was fiction that should be read with an open heart, this one is at the top of my list.

For those who believe in the Word, you assuredly know that the Word was written in parables. Thus said, Rooms is a parable for edification of the Higher Power, and not for the rolling of the eyes when something far-fetched takes us into the fog of a twilight zone.

Sometimes a book will open right in front of you that hasn’t been opened in years for no apparent reason. When I first read this book in
Misty Baker
Jan 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I was in Jr. High my Sunday school class decided to study the book of “Job”. Up until this point I had never done any extensive studying of a particular book, just stand alone versus, so the fact that I shook with the anticipation of learning what would happen next (to this poor soul – as I liked to refer to him at the time) floored me. Over the years I have continued to study the bible, reading scripture and trying (sometimes is vain) to make it make sense to me. Sometimes I fail horribly, ...more
Cheryl
Apr 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Micah Taylor has the good life. He is rich, has a girlfriend, and is the boss of his own company. What more could he ask for? One day Micah receives a letter written by is Uncle Archie. His uncle tells Micah that five months ago he built a home on the Oregon coast especially for Micah. The home is to bring Micah resolve and restoration. Micah first thinks it is a joke…a home built for him. Micah has never really known his uncle. Also Micah has not been back to Oregon since the accident.

Micah dec
David Gregg
I appreciated some of the fantasy in this book. The author is trying to make some really good points, and he usually conveys them well enough. The storyline dragged along a bit at the beginning, but picks up about midway. The writing wasn't superb (once or twice verging on ridiculous), but I ended the book with the familiar feeling of having "enjoyed this one". It isn't as intellectual, edgy, or full as "The Shack", and I think the comparisons are unwarranted. "The Shack" is brimming with contro ...more
Jill
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Micah Taylor receives a letter from his great-uncle who claims to have built a house for him in the one place he never wanted to return to. As a wealthy Seattle businessman, Micah has the perfect life with the perfect woman. To return to the place of his worst nightmare come true is unthinkable. He plans on going to Cannon Beach to put the gifted house on the market.

But strange things begin to happen, and Micah can't put the house behind him. The house and its mysteries pull him in. When he disc
Jan
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
this is one time I wished I had not read the reviews. This books not only captured my favorite location - Cannon Beach Oregon, it really captured my heart. I think the negative ratings were from those who struggled with the message and went away empty. It filled my heart with joy and hope and the Lords's promise, if we give all to him, he will take care of us..
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As defined on findmeanauthor.com a thriller is characterized by "the sudden rush of emotions, the excitement, sense of suspense, apprehension, and exhilaration that drive the narrative, sometimes subtly with peaks and lulls, sometimes at a constant, breakneck pace." In short, a thriller thrills.

This story definitely fits that description. I felt the hairs on my arms stand on end each time he found a new door. My heart broke for Micah has he faced his deepest and most painful memories. I wept bot
Lisa Godfrees
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*Audiobook*

Genre: Contemporary, Supernatural, Inspirational (is that a genre?)

Worldview: Christian

Pros: Great writing/narration, intriguing mystery, fantastic spiritual symbolism

If you know me at all, you know that I'm picky about how biblical supernatural beings/themes are portrayed. I think the author did a phenomenal job on this aspect while utilizing symbolism and metaphor to create a unique allegorical web.

Cons: None, really. The denouement was a little long for me and I was hoping for a b
Courtney Redd
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spiritual. I tore through this one as well, and felt like it opened my eyes to the possibilities of God if we don't limit Him into boxes that we understand. It is definitely fiction though!
DAISY DISNEY
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
** I received a free copy from the Publisher in exchange of an honest review**

The description of this story really had me thinking this would be a horror/paranormal type of a book. This was not the case.

Micah inherits a house from an uncle who has died. Strange things begin to occur in this home and Micah tries to figure out where this strange voice that talks to him is coming from.

Although the story did grab my attention, once it got to the spiritual, god-talking part I kind of lost interest.
What about the brother? 2 24 Sep 27, 2013 07:13AM
Grace Filled Fict...: Christianity Today and the trials of the christian indie 16 49 Sep 24, 2012 06:43PM

• Snow Melts in Spring
  • The Incumbent (Madison Glenn #1)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Exposure
  • The Homeplace
  • Farraday Road (Lije Evans Mysteries #1)
  • One Night in Boston (One Night, #1)
  • Daisy Chain (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #1)
  • Wounded Healer (Homeland Heroes #1)
  • Off the Record
  • A Promise to Remember
  • Primitive
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • Soul Catcher (The Outsider #1)
  • Nightmare (Dangerous Times, #2)
  • Deadlock
  • Deliver Us from Evil
  • The Weight of Shadows
James L. Rubart is a 28 year old trapped in an older man's body, who loves to water ski and dirt bike with his two grown sons. He's the bestselling, Christy Book of the Year, Carol, INSPY, and RT Book Reviews award winning author of ten novels, including his latest, The Pages of Her Life. He lives with his amazing wife on a small lake in eastern Washington.
“Utterly engulfed,
And wanting more.
Buried,
Drowned,
Intoxicated,
With the vastness of love.
Losing myself as the waves wash over me,
Through me,
Surrounding me,
Caught up in the a hurricane of overwhelming peace,
I have let go,
And He has found me.”
21 likes
“If what you do brings freedom and life, it is most likely Christianity. If it doesn’t, it is probably religion, and there is already too much of that in the world.” 2 likes