Start by marking “The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)” as Want to Read:
The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Collected Works 9i)

The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious (Jung's Collected Works #9a)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  3,797 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Bollingen Series XX
Essays which state the fundamentals of Jung's psychological system: "On the Psychology of the Unconscious" & "The Relations Between the Ego & the Unconscious," with their original versions in an appendix.
Published January 1st 1969 by Princeton University Press (NJ) (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious

Erik Graff
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Jungians
Recommended to Erik by: Edward J. Erickson
Shelves: psychology
Except his book on flying saucers, read in childhood, this was the first book I ever read by C.G. Jung. The experience led to a programme of study which occupied the next eight years, leading me to change college majors (history to religious studies) and to proceed to seminary upon graduation.

The occasion of the reading happened accidentally. Ed, an older friend from high school, had visited Grinnell from the University of Illinois, using my library card to check out books to study while in town
Lindu Pindu
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jung is a mystic who sounds like a scientist. This is why his books aren't so dry that they leave you wishing they would just end. Rather, your hope you must cling to is that you have the power to process the bulk, and then maybe get to all those notes and references to another thousand books and manuscripts in one lifetime.

A difficult book, discussing many symbols that might give clues to all of us about where we're coming from. I'm just wondering if the twitteresque society of today still birt
Alex Kartelias
I first learned about Carl Jung in a psychology class in high school and I was amazed. After spending 4 years studying philosophy and religion, I finally sat down and began reading his work and I'm glad I waited: Jung makes a ton of references to many philosophical, religious/mythological, alchemical and literary figures that if you were not familiar with them before hand, you won't get much from his work.

Having said that, I do think he is a impressive psychologist whose ideas on anima/animus, s
Sorana
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
- simbolurile "il fac pe om sa simta adierea divinitatii, si in acelasi timp il apara impotriva trairii nemijlocite a acesteia"
- "Jahve este un Dumnezeu ale carui opozitii nu au fost inca separate"
- "Intotdeauna formele inconstientului au fost exprimate prin imagini protectoare si tamaduitoare si astfel alungate in spatiul cosmic, extrasufletesc."
- "Crestinismul s-a mentinut pentru ca a corespuns modelului arhetipal existent."
- apa ca simbol al inconstientului
- coborarea in adancuri precede urca
Barbara Klaser
This book took me considerable time to get through, in spite of the fact that I'd read parts of it before, elsewhere. I read it off and on as I had the attention to give it, and since my reading time is usually at the end of the day, I didn't always have the brain power remaining to give it its proper due, so I read easier things instead.

The final sections, on mandalas, captured my attention and sped me, relatively speaking, through the last hundred pages or so.

I'm sure I'll be processing the
Scriptor Ignotus
For those sufficiently intrigued by Jung's ideas to go deeper, this is an excellent place to start. It is the most thorough extant exposition on the collective unconscious and the archetypes that arise therefrom.

Whereas Freud and some of his predecessors believed in a personal unconscious that consisted primarily of the repressed thoughts and feelings of the individual, Jung carried the concept further, arguing that the personal unconscious is merely a thin film overlaying a much deeper reservo
William Strasse
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so if you like Jung, you will like this. I'm not going into great detail about the book itself because if you want detail, Carl's your man. What is funny to me is that I'd started into this book a couple times and just knew I didn't have the attention span for it at the time. Then I picked it up again about a month or two ago and started devouring it. It got a little slow towards the end and I finally gave up on the last 100 pages or so about mandalas, but other than that it is great. A co ...more
Sammy Sutton
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
What can one say about Carl Jung? We are only beginning to really understand the complexity of the man and his theories. He is certainly making more sense to me as the years progress. This book delves into the Archetypes, and collective conscious science is now proving exists. This book defines the Shadow, which lurks among Jungs self and work.
Shawn
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Introduction

I became curious about Carl Jung after reading Scott Peck’s references to him in A Road Less Traveled .

This particular work of Jung’s may be organized into six essential categories, which address: (1) the conscious mind, (2) the personal unconscious, (3) the collective unconscious, (4) archetypes and (5) the process of individualization.

The Consciousness

There can be no consciousness when there is no one to say: ‘I am conscious’. After hundreds of years, someone came to realize that
Gediminas
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skaitydamas knygas mėgstu išsirašyti arba pasižymėti įdomias mintis. Vien iš šios knygos mano išsirašytų Jungo citatų galima būtų išleisti antrą knygą. 10/10

Štai viena jų, atspindinti autoriaus mąstymo gylį ir plotį:

"Žmogus užkariauja ne tik gamtą, bet ir dvasią nesuvokdamas, ką daro. Apsišvietęs protas manosi ištaisąs klaidą, kai pamato, kad tai, ką jis laikė dvasiomis, iš tikrųjų yra žmogaus ir galiausiai jo paties dvasia. Visus antžmogiškus, ir gerus, ir blogus, dalykus, kuriuos ankstesnieji
Paola
L'inconscio collettivo denominazione data da Jung a quello "strato" dell'inconscio i cui contenuti sono ereditati, universali, che sono appannaggio di tutti gli uomini in ogni epoca.
I contenuti dell'inconscio collettivo sono denominati archetipi (la cui etimologia viene riccamente fornita da Jung) mentre i contenuti dell'inconscio personale sono i cosiddetti "complessi a tonalità affettiva".
In questo minuscolo libriccino vengono trattati con la solita erudita amplificazione storica, filosofica,
Paz Luz
Apr 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An extension of and expansion upon Freudian theories. The implications of Jung's theory of the collective unconscious reach out and nearly touch the metaphysical. Jung strives to integrate western religious thinking, with the philosophies of the east. A great prequel to the works of Campbell, Grof, Wilber, or Ram Dass
Diana Ardu
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book stunning! It made me look back in our blind immemorial times and understand the power of the Unconscious, that we, modern civilised people, completly ignore it and so become incomplete and poor.
Richard
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best thing I've read of his so far - The theory of Archetypes is...man, I can only say that it, coupled with the Mystical World view, is the religion of the future - its beautiful and absolutely true.
Glenn Berger
Jung was the great intellectual pioneer who recognized that our heritage of symbol -- whether in myth or dream -- revealed the universal characteristics of the developing psyche.
Andrew
Although this book is about the contents of consciousness and not a philosophizing of mind or of consciousness itself, it's difficult not to regard the work as a brilliant illustration of the mind: that thing arising from single-celled-organisms to exist in a transcendental "Self", or in such supraordinated abstractions as "God is a circle whose centre is everywhere and circumference nowhere".

Jung sets the limits through Kantian metaphysical epistemology, and surprisingly (or ironically) the not
David Balfour
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'd encourage people to read this after Man and His Symbols if that appealed to them at all. It expands enormously upon the ideas outlined there, and it's not much more difficult to understand. Jung's writing style is actually very engaging and often quite inspiring. I did skip over a few of his super-detailed analyses of individual myths though, which sometimes seemed a little far-fetched and more like literary analysis run wild than anything resembling science.

There are clear explanations of a
Aaron
This is par for the course with Jung. He has some really neat ideas, which he describes with lots of obscure references to European history, culture and mythology. The usual problem is that it very hard to get into if you're not already familiar with his work, and even then it can be a laborious chore. This book, probably more than any other, captures some of his more novel and interesting ideas, namely the Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious, hence the name. He does a fairly good job maki ...more
Taylor Ellwood
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a collection of essays by Jung about his work with archetypes and individuation. I highly recommend it if you want to understand the psychological concepts and the context in which those concepts are framed. There's some interesting perspectives that Jung shares on these terms that can help readers understand what they mean and how they apply to states of awareness the person experiences. I also found the case studies and art useful for further demonstrating what the author was sharing i ...more
Philip Zyg
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fundamental book, how else could I name it? You find descriptions of the three main, inescapable archetypes underlying Jung's entire philosophy, i.e. the Mother, the Child and the Prankster, as seen in their mostly theoretical aspects. The Child is, of course, the artist: a figure that goes back to the beginning of time and, at the same time, looks ahead at the future of humankind by conjuring up unheard-of solutions in times of crisis.
It goes without saying that artists, writers, painters, w
Scott
Nov 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As far as I read, I seem to be transmuting the contents of the book into small person "aha!" moments, which I treasure more than the book. In other words, I love the book, but what counts is reading it. You will have to experience Jung for yourself, but it is very personally liberating if you wish for an accounting of the reason for such things as the difference between minds, why people think differently, how the psyche may be functioning without you knowing it, and how time really is acausal a ...more
Caine1064
Feb 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally over my head, while I managed to grasp some of the concepts overall I couldn't understand a word. Guess I'm just not cut out to grasp heavy (for me) books like this. Looking forward to getting Len Deightons Horse Under Water in the post.....might scrape through that one. Of course I am aware jung's book is supposed to be top notch which is why I read it but it wasn't for me......which is not to say other folk will not like it so don't let my review put you off reading it as it really is ...more
Маx Nestelieiev
другий український переклад юнґа. прикро, що більшість статей в обидвох виданнях збігаються - марна праці перекладачів. зате тепер ясно, що напсравді мало хто з дослідників знає, що таке архетип - юнґа, вочевидь, ніхто не читає. а читати його варто - може й не це компілятивне видання, де найцікавіше - це про про мандали, а його Еон чи Сновидіння, чи хоча б Психологічні типи, а краще - Психологія та алхімія
Anne Rowlands
Oct 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was fairly disappointing. With all the hype about Jung I would have thought it be better but his initial argument is deeply flawed and it just gets worse from their. He's also s but sexist, not horribly so (no worse than others at his time), but the assumptions he makes don't make logical sense anymore.
If you don't mind the flaws and can get through heaps of really bad anthropology then this is for you.
Jesse Voet
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book is a collection of articles about the Archetypes, which are inside the collective unconsciousness. I enjoyed reading most of the chapters, except for the last third, which was at times too strenuous. The matter is well explained, though it is not for people completely new with the matter. If you are more generally interested, I would advice to buy an introduction work rather. Lots of detail about the archetypes though!
Joe Schirtzinger
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a former psych major, I had to read many, many works. Jung was mostly skipped other than a passing mention that he didn't agree with Freud. This material, in a semi science based way, is an excellent bridge to understanding the linkages between science and the metaphysical--which is why Jung was probably given such short shrift in my undergrad classes.
Cristina Grigorov
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am acordat 4 stele din cinci din simplul motiv că este o carte foarte stufoasă pe care am citit-o extrem de încet. Probabil că după a doua lectură, după ce îmi vor fi mai clare ideile cuprinse în ea, nu voi avea nicio reținere în a-i acorda nota maximă.
Am scris mai multe despre carte aici:

Philipp Müller
Jun 03, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I had to read this because I also read some essays of Bernard A. Litaer about the future money, economy crisis and altrenative impressive solutions. In a interview "Beyond Greed and Scarcity" with Sarah van Gelder auf Transaction Net, he also based his theory with thoughts about Archetypes by C.G. Jung.
Larry
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
A weighty tome. Sometimes gets bogged down in mysticism and
topics like alchemy, astrology and the I Ching. In a few
cases the material on common archetypes gave me insights into
my dreams. I find I have to read this type of material with a
critical eye as there are little nuggets of meaning, but also
a lot of weird and exotic ideas that may briefly seem exciting
but don't lead anywhere.
Essay
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Unfortunately, book isn't clear enough. Brilliance of thought was dimmed by enforced brilliance of language. Obviously, C. G. Jung was a great intellectual, but in his book he does not need to remind us of this fact on every page. It would be much better if he decided to stick to the topic, rather than digress in every possible moment.
  • On Divination & Synchronicity: The Psychology of Meaningful Chance (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 3)
  • The Origins and History of Consciousness (Bollingen Series, 42)
  • Ego and Archetype: Individuation and the Religious Function of the Psyche
  • Jung's Map of the Soul: An Introduction
  • The Divided Self: An Existential Study in Sanity and Madness
  • Science and Human Behavior
  • Owning Your Own Shadow: Understanding the Dark Side of the Psyche
Carl Gustav Jung (/jʊŋ/; German: [ˈkarl ˈɡʊstaf jʊŋ]), often referred to as C. G. Jung, was a Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist who founded analytical psychology. Jung proposed and developed the concepts of extraversion and introversion; archetypes, and the collective unconscious. His work has been influential in psychiatry and in the study of religion, philosophy, archeology, anthropology, l ...more
More about C.G. Jung...

Jung's Collected Works (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Psychiatric Studies (Collected Works, Vol 1)
  • Experimental Researches (Collected Works, Vol 2)
  • The Psychogenesis of Mental Disease
  • Freud and Psychoanalysis (Collected Works, Vol 4)
  • Symbols of Transformation (Collected Works 5)
  • Psychological Types
  • Two Essays on Analytical Psychology (Collected Works 7)
  • The Structure and Dynamics of the Psyche (Collected Works, Vol 8)
  • Civilization in Transition (Collected Works, Vol 10)
  • Psychology and Religion
“A group experience takes place on a lower level of consciousness than the experience of an individual. This is due to the fact that, when many people gather together to share one common emotion, the total psyche emerging from the group is below the level of the individual psyche. If it is a very large group, the collective psyche will be more like the psyche of an animal, which is the reason why the ethical attitude of large organizations is always doubtful. The psychology of a large crowd inevitably sinks to the level of mob psychology. If, therefore, I have a so-called collective experience as a member of a group, it takes place on a lower level of consciousness than if I had the experience by myself alone.” 28 likes
“Real liberation comes not from glossing over or repressing painful states of feeling, but only from experiencing them to the full.” 23 likes