Start by marking “The Hungry Season” as Want to Read:
The Hungry Season

The Hungry Season

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  964 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
It's been five years since the Mason family's holiday at the lakeside cottage in north Eastern Vermont, close to where prize-winning novelist Samuel Mason grew up. The summers that Sam, his wife, Mena, and their twins Franny and Finn spent at Lake Gormlaith were noisy, chaotic, and nearly perfect.

But since Franny's death, the Masons have been flailing, one step away from
Published February 1st 2010 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Hungry Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hungry Season

Jake
Mar 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I discovered T. Greenwood quite by accident. She was a lucky find though. For some reason I picked up Two Rivers and decided I just had to read it. And I was glad I did. It was a significant book with amazing writing.

I knew Greenwood was coming out with a new book, but I was a slacker and did not know when it was to be released. So I was browsing at Barnes & Noble (a thing I love to do and am well-known for...when friends ask me what I'm doing most of the time the answer is...hanging out at
Michelle
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
T. Greenwood can do no wrong in my view. Each book of hers is beautifully written, deeply moving, and features a cast of deliciously flawed characters who you root for even when you don’t always agree with their actions. The Hungry Season is no exception. And, like Greenwood's others, it’s the kind of book you want to read in one sitting.

This is a story about a family grappling with the loss of their teenage daughter. They escape San Diego (as a San Diegan I loved all the local references) and r
Becky
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Incredible book, beautifully written. Story of a family who has suffered the loss of their daughter, Franny.

This book shows really that none of the surviving members have dealt with Franny's death. They all appear to be spinning out of control. Each person is lost in their own guilt,sadness & emptiness.

The family retreats to a vacation site that they loved & visited for years as a happy functioning family. Each person "hungers" for something but they are unaware of what they need to sust
Judy Collins
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is my fifth book by T. Greenwood and starting my sixth, (Two Rivers) today. As you can see, am not reading them in specific order. Once you have read one book by this talented author, you cannot stop until you read everything she has written-while anxiously awaiting her next masterpiece. I actually started and finished it in same day.

It is so hard to say which book is my favorite, as each and every one is a unique story. The author has a way of taking flawed characters and developing them
Olivia
Jul 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting much from this book. I only picked it up when I had read all the other books I had with me and was bored out of my mind. I was surprised though with her strength of voice. Her writing is captivating and lovely. In the sections where she included bits of Sam's work I found myself wishing that he was a real novelist that I could read. At first I really wasn't interested in hearing about Dale so often but then as I read on I began feeling for her. Looking forward to reading more ...more
Laura Planton
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
The story of a family trying to overcome loss. Sam Mason is a famous author experiencing writer's block, sexual disfunction and problems with his teenage son all after the loss of his daughter. Finn, the teenage son, needs someone to understand him, care about him and help him deal with the loss of his sister. Mena, the mother takes care of everyone to mask her sorrow. Well written, interweaving plot.
Renea
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
What I love about T. Greenwood is her ability to take flawed characters and make her reader care about them. I stayed up way too late to finish this book, and I'm glad I did. What an amazing story of a family dealing with a horrible tragedy, each in their own way, and coming together at the end. As is the case with all of T. Greenwood's books, a satisfying read with gorgeous language.
Julie
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I have read by T. Greenwood (two rivers)she has a way of getting to the heart of a difficult topic and pulls the reader out the other side.
I will be reading more of her work.
Kelly
Jun 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction

I couldn't put this one down near the end. The author does a fantastic job of showing the emotional turmoil that parents go through after they have lost a child, what it does to the marriage and other immediate family members. She also does a great job of depicting the thoughts of a person obsessed.

Sam and Mena have a wonderful life with twins, a boy and a girl. They have a solid, loving relationship and they adore their children. Many summers are spent in Vermont at Lake Gormlaith until life ge
Hoover Public Library Adult Fiction

Amy
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Amy by: I picked it up randomly from the library shelf based on the "Vermont fiction" tag
So much to love about this book. The author has a brilliant way of using language that begs you to turn each page. The individual characters are continuously morphing and surprising the reader with each chapter, (each told in an individual voice). What is left untold, but slowly, ever so slowly, revealed is worth every minute. Each character is brilliantly "broken" and although their individual conflicts are at cross-purposes to one another, you can't help but take each side as the story unfolds ...more
SuzCnoor
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
First of all, I am a T. Greenwood fan. Her voice flow suits me well and I enjoy her style of writing.
This book exhausted me for so many different reasons and struck me to the core. I don't imagine that everyone who reads this will react this same way because we all have different frames of reference in life. This book worked for me maybe due in part to the fact that it was not always comfortable, but I held on because I knew it was real. At times this just hit too close. Development of the main
Tammy
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book having no idea what the book was really about. I bought it simply because it was written by T.Greenwood and I was not disappointed! This is the fifth book I have read by T.Greenwood and it's my favorite so far!

The Hungry Season is about a family falling apart after the death of a child. T.Greenwood takes us into the lives of those left behind. It deals with very real issues including depression, drugs, obsession, guilt and anorexia. It's a story about loss, hope, forgivenes
Jean
Apr 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: gr-authors
This would probably be rated three and a half if possible. It's a very enjoyable read, however it appears the end of the story was rushed in order to bring a conclusion whether the results were believable or not. I like this author's writing style and will most definitely read her other works.
Sasm. Mena, Franny, and Finn are a very happy family until Franny dies. The remaining family are torn up, however none of them appear to know how to grasp the grieving part of life. This is the story of how
Victoria Sarne
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much and read it in 2.5 sittings. I think it would be a good pick at some point for the monthly choice. It's about a family who have lost a child and you don't find out until over half way into the book how she died. It explores the effect loss and grief have on a family and how each family member's grief impacts the other. It is not a 'downer' though and there is a surprise twist in the story. Very readable and easy to identify with the characters
Peggy
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and could hardly put it down. The author really speaks to me and I enjoy her writing style.I can't wait to read another of her books. Although this is a novel, the book kept changing with problems and the past surfacing to keep the book interesting til the very end. What a perfect title for this book. I could really feel the emotions of each family member as they dealt seperately with their grief and yet how they needed each other.

A wonderful book.
Leigh
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book about a family dealing with their teenage daughter's sudden death....they take a family trip back to a Vermont lake they haven't been to in 5 years, with their troubled son in tow, who is their late daughter's twin....supposed to be cathartic, however there is more pain and much more to confront before they find peace.
Melinda Lang
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed my second T. Greenwood book and look forward to reading more of hers as I love her writing style. I thought her character development in this novel was extraordinary and I wanted to crawl into the book and meet them all, especially Mena. I felt as though as I was on the lake in Vermont as a spectator to all that happened to this lovely family. A great summer read!
Lisa
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the best yet by Ms. Greenwood!! I had the opportunity to read this over a weekend and could not put it down - when I had to be away from the book, I could not wait to get back. Her character development was outstanding, her use of short chapters added to the out-of-control feeling the characters were going through. Well done all around!
Deb-oh
Feb 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have to say that T. Greenwood has to be one of my all time favorites! Every time I open one of her books I am "immersed" from the first sentence! I am getting off this computer now so I can continue to read!

Thank you, Ms. Greenwood for a beautiful, heart-breaking, heart-warming story. I loved it!
Dianah
Jun 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature, arc, favorites
Devastated by the loss of his young daughter, famous novelist Sam Mason and his family flee from California to a secluded cabin on the east coast. While the family grapples with their plunge into despair, a determined fan of Sam's begins making a trek east as well. This is a chilling, suspenseful, gripping read. T. Greenwood is an amazing writer and this book is excellent.
Leslie
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is my first T. Greenwood novel and I'm looking forward to reading more. She is a good descriptive writer capturing the pain this family has felt with the loss of a sister/daughter and how that has impacted all of their lives. She does a good job moving between past and present and holding interest. The story deals with family guilt and anger.
Alexis
Apr 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This book is a much needed book in the mass of eating disorder books out there. It's not about getting through the illness, it's not about the horrors of an eating disorder, it's about what happens to the family after someone dies from an eating disorder. Not the immediate grief, but the longstanding grief. The day-to-day question of "how do we function as a family?"
Holly
Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really nicely written...wonderful wording, deliciously flawed and interesting characters and a sense of real emotion throughout the book. It was a little slow in a few places but that's only because the characters themselves were so stalled in their lives. I would recommend this book to others and I'll def seek out other books by this author!
Annie
Feb 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There are only a handful of authors that can grab me by the arm with the first sentence and guide me through an entire book on voice and flow alone. A few sentences. A simple cadence. It's over, I'm hooked.
The characters haunt me long after the book is finished, their stories in my mind like they're people I used to know. Three-dimensional, flawed, real.
Mary Beth
May 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is the story of a family who has lost their 15 year old twin daughter. They return to a cabin in Vermont searching for healing and a simpler time. Extremely well written with loads of symbolism and well developed characters.
Leeann
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I was kept wondering as to what happened to Franny (although it was a tad anti-climatic) and I liked the interaction among the characters. Every now and again my attention would wander but by and large it was a good read. I passed it on to a friend.
Audrey Wennink
Sep 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. Really spectacular piece of fiction. Crisp, beautiful writing. The story built to a satisfying climax and I really enjoyed getting to know this family of characters. Will be looking for other books by this author!
Kelly
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love her writing! I found a book of hers at the library and now look for her books in any library or bookstore that I am in.

I loved the characters and the way their grief is interwoven with glimpses of life with Franny. The ending was not what I expected from the beginning of the story.
Melanie
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I loved how the author dealt with so many different relationships and how a loss in a family can affect each member. Even the side story of Dale was done with compassion and a point of perspective that let you identify with her. The story touched me.
  • A Long Day at the End of the World
  • Better Than This
  • Early from the Dance
  • A Widow Redefined
  • Funerals for Horses
  • Trouble the Water
  • Monsoon Season
  • Trouble the Water
  • The Kinshield Saga (Kinshield Saga #1-2)
  • Dying to Dream
  • Then Came the Evening
  • Cracks in the Sidewalk
  • The Shadow on the Quilt (The Quilt Chronicles #2)
  • Grace at Low Tide
  • Emancipating Alice: A Novel
  • Whatever Makes You Happy
  • River's Song (The Inn at Shining Waters, #1)
  • Random Acts of Kindness
T. Greenwood is the author of twelve novels. She has received grants from the Sherwood Anderson Foundation, the Christopher Isherwood Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts, and, most recently, the Maryland State Arts Council. She has won three San Diego Book Awards. Five of her novels have been BookSense76/IndieBound picks. BODIES OF WATER was finalist for a Lambda Foundation award. Her ...more
More about T. Greenwood...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland