Start by marking “Stillness Speaks” as Want to Read:
Stillness Speaks

Stillness Speaks

Eckhart Tolle shows you how to become your true self by embracing stillness and silence. When we are no longer limited by our thinking mind, suffering and pain disappears and we are able to move forward towards a new understanding of our relationships, of nature and of the profound wisdom that is to be found in stillness.
Published December 1st 2003 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Stillness Speaks, please sign up.
Dean The focus with is one is more on the aspect of stillness, and silence, rather than the present moment. Although, all of these aspects of the same…moreThe focus with is one is more on the aspect of stillness, and silence, rather than the present moment. Although, all of these aspects of the same thing. It is hard to answer whether it's worth it, for you, but I found it helpful.(less)

Heidi The Reader
Oct 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shorter and simpler than his other books, Stillness Speaks is the essence of Eckhart Tolle. If you're interested in his teaching, but don't feel up to some of his more far-out ideas, this would be a good place to start.

Waking up to who you really are: "When you recognize that there is a voice in your head that pretends to be you and never stops speaking, you are awakening out of your unconscious identification with the stream of thinking. When you notice that voice, you realize that who you are
Steve Wilson
Aug 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I digested this one slowly over about a year and a half (and it's a TINY book!). I love the part where the author says it's more important to set the book down often, as the present moment is more important than anything that he could say on the page.
Chelsea
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this book. I wish I had money to buy it. But, it is from the library. This book jumped off the shelf and it was meant for me to read this bad boy! So just read a sentence and set the book down and then pick it up again. It has some very wise words to ponder in your life. I need to read this book about 40 more times and I would enjoy it every time.
Zyra
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, self-help
words fall short to express these books. lets see what i can say great, beautiful, enlightening. all the words are not enough. everyone should read these books by eckhart tolle at least once & see for themselves.
Mark Bennett
No words. Tolle reminds me of Krishnamurti. It's a small book and very short. But the gems within get you to slow it all down and ease right into the moment you're in. Anyone looking to find ways to grab on to life and enjoy it more intensely and contemplatively, Eckhart Tolle may be the one for you.

Three gems from the chapter "Acceptance & Surrender":

- "Surrender is surrender to THIS MOMENT, not to a story through which you INTERPRET this moment and then try to resign yourself to it."

- "Acc
Chriss
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-improvement
Like Tolle's other books, this has the insight you expect and the tools are in how you use what has been printed on the pages. He makes it very clear that there is no magic in words and they've all been derived from various teachings including those of Jesus and Budda. The book is set up as short statements or paragraphs with a specific theme, not chapters in a book that you would read through. He expects you to stop reading and think about each one. Although a short book in length, the lessons ...more
Christine Bingham
Dec 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook, a chapter at a time, to let it sink in. Tolle has truly influenced how I'm approaching my daily life, taking time to embrace moments of stillness. He asks thought-provoking questions of self-exploration, which lead to opportunities for reflection and changing thought patterns. In a couple short weeks, I've begun to identify when I'm making a situation into a sad story that I tell myself and others to soothe my ego, and I'm working on letting go of those stories. Grea ...more
Suzie Warren
Feb 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book to be worth reading and thinking about. It will make you aware of some of the mistaken ways we view ourselves and our relationships. Every human being has been conditioned to think and behave in certain ways - conditioned genetically by our childhood experiences and our cultural environment.
It's good for reference and inspiration purposes. It's perfect for a quick injection on the following topics - silence & stillness, beyond the thinking mind, the egoic self, the now, who
Fernando
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Small phrases with deep knowledge and insight. A truly awakening book!! The way Eckhart writes in this book is definitely powerful. Every person on his journey of self-discovery would be grateful to have gotten this book on his hands. This is one of this books you pick up from your bookshelf and just open it to read a random page, and be amazed by the teaching.
Akira Sieben
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"I am not my thoughts, emotions, sense perceptions, and experiences. I am not the content of my life.... I am consciousness."

In the introduction to his succinct yet powerful book Stillness Speaks, Eckhart Tolle advises the reader that the essence of its message is expounded in the first chapter, and may be all that some require to assimilate. However, it is the foregoing dictum from the fourth chapter which, in my opinion, has the power to singlehandedly transform the life of the reader ravenous
Emily Peebles
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Eckhart Tolle will certainly go down as one of the great spiritual leaders of our time. He has a way of revealing powerful truths to you--truths that have always been within you, just covered by the egoic mind. With the use of simple, plain language, Tolle writes from a place of humility. His accessibility, I presume, would appeal to even the most spiritually resistant of readers.

I recommend this book to every one of my Goodreads friends. To every person who reads this review. If Tolle's teachin
Renee Amberg
Eckhart Tolle is a genius. There were so many ah-ha moments in this book of his, per usual. Stillness Speaks was unique in that there were shorter, to the point entries of his messages organized by topics of life, one represented in each chapter. I really enjoyed this style of writing because it was direct and gave you time to reflect after every sentence, which is something I tend to do every time I read Eckhart Tolle. He has done it again! Life changed!
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, favorites
I listened to the audiobook version of this. I loved it! There are two reasons I will be listening to this again.
1. Eckhart Tolle's voice is relaxing and soothing, which is nice, just not when I'm driving. I found myself getting distracted. I will listen to this in a more suitable enviroment.
2. This is not a book you should take in all at once. You have to stop, reflect and repeat. Most importantly, practice.

Nicole
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that has soooo much good information for such a small book that you have to take your time reading it to really grasp everything that is said. I spent a few weeks just reading a few pages because I really wanted to absorb the info. Really helpful info. I will read this one again!
Sridhar Guda
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I could relate several statements to our ancient texts. The good thing about this book is simple and yet powerful ideas are presented in subtle manner. May be one of those few books which you can read as many times as possible and put the learnings into practice.
Alex Kartelias
Even though all his ideas come from all the worlds religions, he puts it in a language that is relevant to people's lives without limiting it to an exclusive vocabulary. Not to be attached to your ego, people or thoughts is all common sense to most people but, to hear about the unsubstantial nature of words/thoughts as merely labels, the inescapable presence of Now and the all encomposing Consciousness of the universe of which you are merely a unique extension of, is profoundly fresh in today's ...more
Bharath
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a small, simple and unpretentious book. For those in pursuit of understanding themselves and seeking to be more mindful - this is a good read. It, however, does not instruct one on how to be mindful by way of techniques, it rather explains the conceptual framework and key concepts in short paragraphs. The paragraphs are neatly organized and each one abstracts a concept to mull over and practise. I realize now that in some cases, it makes sense to read books in a particular order. Stillne ...more
Jess
May 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, 2012
This is one of those books that if you rate poorly, droves of fans collectively roll their eyes and proclaim that you have missed the point. I feel almost lame giving this one two stars but the format just doesn't work for me, and yes, I read the first few pages, I get this this is a narrow little work that encourages stillness not reading and digesting. But this got me thinking about Derrida who wrote about the use of words and imperfect symbols and how very irritated I become in general with w ...more
David A. Beardsley
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tolle is one of the few "self-help" authors out there who gets that you can't help yourself: that you are already perfect and just have to get out of your own way. One does this by becoming still, and this book can help you learn how. It consists of a series of "shrutis;" short quotes that can bypass the discursive mind and speak to your true self.
An excerpt from the introduction:
That stillness is also inner peace, and that stillness and peace are the essence of your Being. It is inner stillnes
Janice Sears
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this audio book for short listenings in the car. It loses nothing by listening to short excerpts. In fact, that is exactly what Eckhart advises the reader to do. Read a little, put it down and pick it up again later. Practicing being present while driving has made me a much more relaxed and responsive driver. I can accept the traffic jams, drive defensively and calmly, and enjoy the beauty of nature all around that I might have otherwise missed had I been trapped in thought and emotions i ...more
Carly Svamvour
Oct 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Re-reading by way of audio again and again and again ...I've marked it as being 'finished'. But I know I'll go in and out of it again.It's like he says in the beginning - it's a book you should pick up and put down. Read a bit - put it down - or just carry it around with you.

Sicofonia
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every single human being
Recommended to Sicofonia by: A good friend of mine
A work that delves deeper in the concept of being Present and awareness of Now. Written in a style that mimics the Buddhist sutras, that is short paragraphs, the book is presented as a quick guide that draws many thoughts and ideas from The Power of Now.
Muhamed
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
short and deep. I highly recommend it.
Douglas Lord
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tolle expands on the living-in-the-moment philosophy espoused in his earlier, popular The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment. His method seeks simplicity (too often confused with simple-mindedness) by stripping down thoughts and deliberately seeking the titular stillness. This is anything but simpleminded; tuning into silence in this way helps readers achieve inner peace, but to do so requires unlearning and deconstructing lifetimes of patterns and structure. More Sun Tzu than Dr. ...more
Orhun
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
amazing book. better to be read after at least a few weeks of meditation, when you have an idea about being present in the moment. Definitely suggested to be read slowly, no less than a few weeks and then again after a few months
K.
Sep 26, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Another short version of the same thing. Read THE POWER OF NOW and save yourself the money on this one. Once you have THE POWER OF NOW in your bones, you don't need these others. They're just commercial enterprises, imo.
Harshini Ks
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest interpretations...
Briana Kelly
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book gives insight into enjoying the present moment and all of its peculiarities. It’s a short book but I feel I took what I needed from the 1st Chapter. There wasn’t anything overly different to other books I’ve read on this topic in the rest of the book so giving it 3*s.
KnowledgeSpecter
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I felt that this book was great in the sense that it was short and to the point yet explanatory. It really gave you food for thought and the lessons in this book will be imprinted upon your mind. Great read!
Sinem Eylem
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many lessons present in this book to internalize. You may choose to read it at once but it’s a book to be revisited every once in a while and reflect upon on each word of wisdom on its own. Deep, compact, yet requires detailed processing.

• The Diamond in Your Pocket: Discovering Your True Radiance
  • The Field: The Quest for the Secret Force of the Universe
  • Joy: The Happiness That Comes from Within
  • I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
  • The Divine Matrix: Bridging Time, Space, Miracles, and Belief
Eckhart Tolle , born Ulrich Leonard Tolle, February 16, 1948, is a German-born writer, public speaker, and spiritual teacher. The New York Times has called him "the most popular spiritual author in the nation". He is the author of the bestsellers "The Power of Now" and "A New Earth".
Tolle had an unhappy childhood in Germany and Spain. His depression reached its peak during early adulthood in Engla
“Throughout history humans have inflicted countless violent, cruel, and hurtful acts on each other, and continue to do so. Are they all to be condemned; are they all guilty? Or are those acts simply expressions of unconsciousness, an evolutionary stage that we are now growing out of?

Jesus’ words, “Forgive them for they do not know what they do,” also apply to yourself.”
36 likes
“Whenever any kind of deep loss occurs in your life — such as loss of possessions, your home, a close relationship; or loss of your reputation, job, or physical abilities — something inside you dies. You feel diminished in your sense of who you are. There may also be a certain disorientation. “Without this...who am I?” When a form that you had unconsciously identified with as part of yourself leaves you or dissolves, that can be extremely painful. It leaves a hole, so to speak, in the fabric of your existence. When this happens, don't deny or ignore the pain or the sadness that you feel. Accept that it is there. Beware of your mind's tendency to construct a story around that loss in which you are assigned the role of victim. Fear, anger, resentment, or self-pity are the emotions that go with that role. Then become aware of what lies behind those emotions as well as behind the mind-made story: that hole, that empty space. Can you face and accept that strange sense of emptiness? If you do, you may find that it is no longer a fearful place. You may be surprised to find peace emanating from it. Whenever death occurs, whenever a life form dissolves, God, the formless and unmanifested, shines through the opening left by the dissolving form. That is why the most sacred thing in life is death. That is why the peace of God can come to you through the contemplation and acceptance of death.” 27 likes