Start by marking “Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small” as Want to Read:
Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small

Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small

Open your heart and mind to the wisdom of the animal world.

Animal Speak provides techniques for recognizing and interpreting the signs and omens of nature. Meet and work with animals as totems and spirit guides by learning the language of their behaviors within the physical world.

Animal Speak shows you how to:

Identify, meet, and attune to your spirit animals
Discover the po
Published September 8th 2002 by Llewellyn Publications (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Speak, please sign up.
jw jw It could be many things. They may come to you as a warning about something in your life. Or it may mean something completely. Look up cats in general …moreIt could be many things. They may come to you as a warning about something in your life. Or it may mean something completely. Look up cats in general if you can't find anything about Lynx. (less)

Start your review of Animal Speak: The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great and Small
Fusun Dulger charles
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every time I dream or see an animal on my travels I go back to this book to understand its symbolism and what it should mean to me.
It is like a dictionary of animal totems and symbolism, everyone should have a copy if he/she are on the Shamanistic road.
Xotzin
Dec 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
I was taught that if you want to know what the animals have to say then pack up your things and go live WITH them and listen!
Saiisha
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, self-help
Loved this book! This was a lovely introduction for me into shamanic spirituality involving birds and animal totems. It was recommended to me by a friend when I mentioned a gorgeous red-shouldered hawk with a tortoise-shelled back and black-and-white striped tail sat on the railing right outside my window and stared at me for a good long minute! That incident set my heart racing, and I felt the power of connection with a majestic creature that I had never thought possible.

This book introduced me
Chaz
Aug 09, 2008 rated it liked it
The introduction and first couple chapters give a thorough explanation of "power animals" and how to work with the symbols/archetypes in our lives. Ted Andrews obviously has a profound knowledge of the esoteric and presents the spiritual or magical powers of animals in an easy-to-read format.
Personally, I was given this book from a Native American shaman for reference. I was looking for more information on how to utilize my ' power/token animal' in my everyday life when it is/was separated from
Sara
Jan 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is THE essential book for anyone working with animal spirit guides. Andrews covers just about every animal, bird and insect one could think of. He provides clear and lucid explanations of the characteristics of each animal guide and what one might gain by working with each animal. I plan to keep it as a reference, and I've already referred to it often. It's especially useful when I repeatedly encounter a specific animal in my daily travels, such as the hawk who took up residence in my back ...more
Thesaria
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pagan
(This is a personal reaction rather than a review for potential readers)
It was interesting to read this at last. As a new teen pagan I had no way of getting my hands on it but it seemed to be the one title that always came up with recommendations in online discussions and the book I most hankered after.

When I read it several years later it didn't make a huge impact on me personally, but it might have done if I'd read it back then. I can see why it was so often recommended for beginners. It gives
Douglas Molchan
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any who need appriciates our mother earth
This book has a lot to offer for anyone with an open mind and appreciation for our mother earth. If you litter stop littering now! Reading this book isn't for you unless you think you can learn something from out earth and nature in it by meditation, symbolism, and totems of animals of all kinds. By experiencing all of these at once you learn a lot by identity and getting in tune with ones true self. I have had some wild experience in my life and every time I reference this book it tends to be r ...more
Melanie The Medium
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you're into animal symbolism and animal totems/guides, you'll love this book. It's more of a reference book, rather than one you sit to read all the way through. When I see an animal during a reading, meditation, or dream, I always look up the meaning in this book. I find that the meanings correspond with my own feelings about why the animal showed up in my life and give me additional insight.
Dawn-a very sensitive romance reader
Absolutely wonderful.

If you love animals and nature, if you consider yourself a spiritual person, if you have a soul-deep connection with your natural surroundings and the little creatures in it, (or want to strengthen your connection to it) you will love this book.

The author has an immense amount of knowledge about a multitude of animals, insects etc, as well as Native American culture, knowledge and beliefs.

Love it.

Will read many times over.
Fishface
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals, reference
A good start, but needs to be expanded upon considerably. The author focuses almost entirely on bird symbolism and mostly neglects the staggering variety of other life on earth that people relate to in symbolic ways.
Melanie Alderson
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is a great reference book. Well organized and easy to use. I recommend it in book form rather than ebook as it is much easier to search for the information one is interested in.
elissa
May 02, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: reference
I've never heard of this book, and have now seen it in 2 places this week. Maybe I will run across it in person soon.
Susan
Animal Speak by Ted Andrews is a guide to the wisdom that can be attained by taking a closer look at the animal kingdom. In it, Andrews provides techniques for recognizing and interpreting the signs and omens of the natural world. With insights into the myths/lore and history surrounding animals, Animal Speak helps you to discover the power and spiritual significance of more than 100 different mammals, birds, insects, and reptiles.

For anyone interested in Native American culture, shamanism, conn
Ron Campbell
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, shamanism
Ted Andrews is a well known author and speaker of North American Spiritual Tradition. Animal-Speak along with Animal-Wise work together to catalog the wisdom of the Animal Kingdom. We all have what is called Animal-Totems that assists us in our Life. These two volumes can help us to understand and to be able to work with our Totem. It is the best source I have found that catalogs so many different animals. The two volumes works together - Animal-Speak has a general topic such as 'Spiders'; where ...more
Marina Quattrocchi
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book written to understand the symbolic significance of animals in our lives. I've been using it for years to gain deeper insight into my own dreams, and often recommend it to students and clients when I'm teaching dream workshops. When an animal turns up in your physical life, especially if you see it repeatedly, it may have important messages for you. Andrews describes the habitats, unique characteristics, and skills of each animal, including birds, mammals and reptiles, then ...more
Katie
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
My constant "Go To" for insight and indepth connections that continue to hold my hand and remind me of not only my own personal energies and power, but it also directs me in very real, tangible ways of how, when and where to put my feet on the path - continuing to move forward with very intuitive and motivated direction. At such times, its really great to know that you're not alone and that you have skills, talents and friendships that will guide and walk with you while accessing spiritual and e ...more
Misha
Jun 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Animal Speak is akin to attending a 101 class, more so if one is already familiar with its subject matter. It's easy reading and the language is simplistic, but Llewyllen publishing tends to be more interested in quantity not quality. Regardless, I’m content to have it on the shelf as a reference.

Ted Andrews provides some interesting general information about animals native to North America, their mythology and folklore, and their symbolism. There are also exercises for meditation, working with
RH Walters
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love animals, and Andrews’ book evokes the time when humans didn’t consider themselves separate from other animals, and understood each others’ “speech.” I enjoyed reading the mythology and biology of different creatures, and what their habits and presence can teach us. Even if you don’t want to follow the rituals or meditations described in the book, it’s a great introduction to shamanism and a philosophy of connection with the natural world.
Samantha McGuire (Mirror Bridge Books)
This is a great book for people just beginning to walk their 'earth walk' and become more in touch with Mother Nature and Native American spirituality. It discusses the language of nature, how to read omens, and the symbolism behind the significant presence that animals make in day to day life and what the personalized message is for you to learn from it. Great book!
Patricia Taylor
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book and would recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about this world. I keep it along with animal wise as reference material and when it occurs to me that I've been seeing a particular animal a number of times I look it up to see what lesson I need to learn. I find it quite magical!
Mony Dojeiji
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My go-to reference book any time I see something in nature that makes me pause. Very detailed and throrough. There is usually something in the description that helps me clarify a situation, or get a specific answer I am looking for.
Mary
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Great reference book for all those with totems.
Kharm
Sep 02, 2009 marked it as to-read
Shelves: want
So far, I'm loving this book. It's been years since something has resonated so strongly with me.

One of these days I'll get back to this book. I'd still like it as a reference book, though.
Sergio J
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'll speak to you if you speak to me.
Polo
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a dear companion for many years.
Amy Elizabeth
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I need to buy this to come back to it again and again. Excellent.
Tea Railene
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating game, very informative. It is going to be a fun reference book to go back to for more information about animals as I see them.
Silas
Feb 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was told ages ago by a friend that this was an excellent book, but took a long time to get around to reading it. I'm not sure if the audiobook is quite the same as the original, and perhaps I will try to investigate that, but what I got was quite engaging. It is definitely of a New Age sort of totems and divination bent, so you have to be open to that to enjoy this, but it's a lot less vision oriented than I expected. Instead, it focuses on taking animals you encounter, either in life or in dr ...more
Tori
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great book for those wishing to find and work with totem animals. If you are already familiar with animal guides a large portion of this book will just cover the basics. However, I thought the exercises/meditations in this book were great and the ones I've tried have been very effective.

I am very happy to add this book to my personal library. If nothing else it is an amazing reference guide. It includes animal "encyclopedias" on mammals, birds, and to a lesser extent insects and reptiles. Alt
Quinn
As a fan of the natural world, I seek out books that help explain the world that surrounds us and that we largely ignore. This is a great resource book to help you figure out what animals contribute, and what they mean to the world. The book steps into the spiritual realm, reminding us that animal characteristics can inspire us to courage, action, self-care, and kindness.
There is a large section on animals and their meaning in the limnal realm as well as in the everyday world. A fascinating, com
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Old Souls Book Club: Animal-Speak, by Ted Andrews 1 7 Jul 27, 2016 01:00PM

• Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
  • The Crystal Bible: A Definitive Guide to Crystals
  • Hidden Messages in Water
  • Heal Your Body: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them
  • Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • Love is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
  • Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential
  • Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom: Creating Physical and Emotional Health and Healing
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • The Celestine Vision: Living the New Spiritual Awareness
  • A Course in Miracles
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • The Seat of the Soul
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul
Ted Andrews was an internationally recognized author, storyteller, teacher, and mystic. A leader in the human potential, metaphysical, and psychic fields, he wrote over 36 books which have been translated into more than two dozen foreign languages. He was featured on many national and local TV and radio programs every year. He won more Visionary Awards than any other author.

Ted was a worldwide acc

News & Interviews

“If you talk to the animals they will talk with you and you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them, And what you do not know you will fear. What one fears one destroys. — Chief Dan George” 9 likes
“The true shaman, the true naturalist, works to reconnect conscious human life with Nature and Spirit through totems and ritual.” 8 likes